Sponsored Links

Living with 4G Broadband

hunch1969

Hi all, I thought I'd stick this up for anyone else considering moving to a 4G wireless broadband for the home. I'm also writing this as a novice - I use to work with mobile networks but I'm never on the radio side of the fence.

At home, I'm a fairly low user of bandwidth and have been just fine with Skys basic broadband for years which runs about 8mb/s where I live. However the price kept on going up and up and I was fed up with having to moan constantly to get the price brought down. So I took the plunge and went to Three's unlimited 4G wireless and a Huawei 525 router which was a bargain at £18 a month for 2 years. I already had their mobile coverage so was fairly comfortable that the performance would be fine.
Once I had the router up and running I initially had mixed results. My speed varied from over 47mb/s in the middle of the night. down to around 1mb/s during peak hours. I tried to resolve what was going on and complained to 3 but they said I should get better performance. My router had 5 bars on it so I though it was ok. I tried going on the router to see if i could get a real signal reading, but the functionality isn't on the router which is annoying. however in the end I used the QR code you get on the login screen to down load the app. hidden in some of the values I found a signal strength monitor :) to my surprise it showed that my signal was very low in the reds (even with the 5 bars showing). Leaving this simple signal monitor running I moved the router around just a small amount and got the bar way up into the green. My next performance test I got over 16mb/s at peak time. Since then it seems to be consistently over 12mb/s and a lot of time a lot higher. for the amount o time I wasted trying to get to the bottom this, this was the most useful thing I found. Now loving it. - PS if you care about latency (really only online gaming I guess) then 4G may not be right for you. Otherwise I love it. I like the fact I can take it away with me in the UK. I don't know if I can roam with it though.

You probably can roam with it, but there will be a limit placed on data when in the EU. Meanwhile non-EU countries can attract hefty costs.

You also touched on what I'm calling the "5 bars issue," which has come up a few times on this forum recently. It's important to stress that the 5 bars you see on a mobile phone are almost akin to the lowest common denominator of connection stability (i.e. when you look at the raw stats you'll often find, as you did, that even with 5 bars the signal itself may still be poor).

In your case, seeing as you got such a big improvement from just moving the router around inside your home, then it sounds like you might benefit from screwing an omni directional antenna to a high point outside your house.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules