Sponsored Links

Looking for 5G home broadband in rural Somerset.

thusband

Casual Member
We're in rural Somerset and currently have Voneus (Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) network). When it's up speeds aren't bad (40Mbps up and down) but weekly there're slowdowns, drop outs and outages. Folks here in the village are fed up. According to Ofcom there are several possibilities like EE, Three, O2 and Vodafone.

I've read here it's best to check coverage with my phone but wouldn't that require a sim for each carrier?

Check your location on cellmapper.net, pay attention to the sectors (and their bands) beaming in your direction.
Then for further tests you will probably only need 1-2 SIM cards.

According to Ofcom there are several possibilities like EE, Three, O2 and Vodafone.
Those are the only 4 networks in the UK. Do you have 5G coverage for all of them according to Ofcom? (I am doubtful)

I've read here it's best to check coverage with my phone but wouldn't that require a sim for each carrier?
Correct, but chances are that's only going to be 1 or 2.
If one of them is Three, you could also try out a month on their rolling contract (including a router, which I believe is only 24 GBP a month).

Sponsored Links
Those are the only 4 networks in the UK. Do you have 5G coverage for all of them according to Ofcom? (I am doubtful)
I was looking at mobile availability on Ofcom and, yes, all four show outdoor availability.
ofcom.png

Inside the home I think I'd need an outdoor antenna which is a whole new minefield I guess.

Thanks.

I was looking at mobile availability on Ofcom and, yes, all four show outdoor availability.
View attachment 9510
Inside the home I think I'd need an outdoor antenna which is a whole new minefield I guess.

Thanks.
Ah okay, so this doesn't reference 5G. It's a bit misleading. I think this even includes 3G.

Could you check the provider's coverage maps? (you can try bidb.uk to get a summary)

Check your location on cellmapper.net, pay attention to the sectors (and their bands) beaming in your direction.
Then for further tests you will probably only need 1-2 SIM cards.
OK thanks. Interesting map. I wish I knew what I was looking at. The mast I thought covered our village didn't show a bean in our direction.

If I start playing around with different routers or sims that will play havoc with our home network won't it? I mean new IP address for devices.

Ah okay, so this doesn't reference 5G. It's a bit misleading. I think this even includes 3G.

Could you check the provider's coverage maps? (you can try bidb.uk to get a summary)
OK thanks but I think I'll give up as bidb.uk doesn't even show my Postcode as real. I'm afraid if I jump into this rabbit hole I'll be worse off than I am now.

Sponsored Links
I wish I knew what I was looking at
Open Menu, select Provider first, then search for you location. I suggest keeping "4G - LTE" selection in provider selection window.
Click on each mast displayed on the map and see orientation of their sectors. Note the mast number, sector id and band(s) when you will see any good candidate.
Change the operator and repeat.
Feel free to PM me your approximate location and I will check this for you.

that will play havoc with our home network won't it?
You can always run an isolated test first, either from the phone directly or from a single device connected to a new router. Once you deploy a new router on a permanent basis you can always reconfigure it to continue using the same settings as before (LAN IPs, WiFi SSID, etc.).

We're in rural Somerset and currently have Voneus (Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) network). When it's up speeds aren't bad (40Mbps up and down) but weekly there're slowdowns, drop outs and outages. Folks here in the village are fed up. According to Ofcom there are several possibilities like EE, Three, O2 and Vodafone.

What phone do you have and which network are you on?

Sponsored Links
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2499)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1944)
  9. Statistics (1766)
  10. 4G (1641)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1439)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1218)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules