Sponsored Links

Looking for a decent 4G VPN router

imager

This is my first post here and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this - please move to the correct place if required.

I'm trying to choose a 4G router that I can install a VPN client on. The Huawei B535 or TP-Link MR600 look interesting but I'm a bit unclear on whether they are suitable for VPN client installation - you may have guessed that the router VPN thing is something new to me!

It depends what type of VPN (technology) you wish to use/what your VPN provider supports.

Most consumer devices (including 4G routers) do support VPN, however that is usually only PPTP or L2TP.
PPTP is now deemed to be insecure - it uses a level of encryption that has been broken.

Other VPN types are generally not supported on consumer devices as they require a lot of CPU power (to perform the encryption/decryption) at a rate that maintains good speeds.

Thanks Gavin - I'm mainly interested in being able to access BBC iPlayer and the like when I'm in France :) Security is not a concern for me in this instant. For secure connections I have VPNs in my phone and laptop, for example.

I have paid-for licences for a bundle or VPNs (Keepsolid VPN Unlimited) and they have tutorials for generating VPN setups for some routers using OpenVPN or L2TP - maybe even others.

I basically want my Roku streaming stick think it's in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Be aware that some video streaming providers block popular VPN providers (IP addresses) - BBC is one that seems to be keen on that.

I would suggest testing things out before committing to something incase it doesn't do everything you need it to - and also things are subject to change, so if it works now then it may stop in the future.

That might not work, I believe if you go in France then you'll be exiting the Cloudflare network through a machine in that country, whereas he wants to maintain some resemblance of UK IP address.

Cloudflare warp might just work for you on a device basis..........

Sponsored Links
An option, if Linux savvy, could be to get a super cheap vps in UK, install openvpn/wireguard/etc there and done.

Eg this £1/m VPS from Ionos:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have pre-paid (one payment for life) VPN licences with KeepSolid (VPN Unlimited).

The good news is that after a lot of thought and with the option of returning it if it didn't work, I bought a Huawei B535. I was able to generate a L2TP VPN client using VPN Unlimited tools and configure the Huawei (fitted with Voxi/Vodafone so, without problems - so problem solved! Using target IP addresses in France as well as the UK the sites that should have worked or not worked did so as expected.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have pre-paid (one payment for life) VPN licences with KeepSolid (VPN Unlimited).

The good news is that after a lot of thought and with the option of returning it if it didn't work, I bought a Huawei B535. I was able to generate a L2TP VPN client using VPN Unlimited tools and configure the Huawei (fitted with Voxi/Vodafone so, without problems - so problem solved! Using target IP addresses in France as well as the UK the sites that should have worked or not worked did so as expected.
I'm looking to do exactly the same, I have that router too. I've looked at the VPN Unlimited Web site and I couldn't find details of how to install on this router. Do you have a link that might point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks
Pete

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules