Sponsored Links

Looking for feedback about switching business broadband ISP

So a little history first, when I was still living with parents I shared their regular ADSL BT connection, it was terrible for online gaming because as soon as someone started sending an Email or playing a Flash video (as you would do in those days) it caused the latency to the game servers to spike.

Eventually I got my own phone line and went with the cheapest ISP I could find, but they had latency issues also, except rather than spiking it was just constant. I switched to another ISP and had the same issue, so I read into it some more and decided to go with Aquiss on a business package, problem solved from this point.

Fastforward to now, being with Aquiss for 10 years it still delivers exactly what I desire but I am now in a position where I need to eliminate some costs from my monthly bills and am strongly considering putting Aquiss on the chopping block, because their business broadband and line rental costs are at £71.80, when I could get pretty much the same business package from PlusNet for £20 less (even more with the introductory first 24 months).

Aquiss has been very reliable for me, I never had to restart my router or suffer connections dropping and my main concern is whether I will start experiencing these annoyances if I were to switch to something like PlusNet. I understand they're both using the same BT networking infrastructure, so it SHOULD perform exactly the same, but I was wondering if someone with more knowledge could shed some light on what I'd lose out on (if anything).

In a nutshell, my ISP is awesome but too expensive and I don't have any experience with other ISP's and am worried switching will potentially worsen my online experience.

Why are you on their business package for gaming??

They have cheaper "Home" options; AFAIK the only difference is the QOS repair times.

Because at the time, I was getting tired of the cheaper providers not delivering and decided to just go all out on the best possible connection I could get back then. Aside from changing from ADSL to fibre, that's the tier I've been sat at this whole time, but (albeit a bit late) I think I could be saving some money here.

As long as I can get something equally reliable and still be able to VPN to and from work and home, still have my RDP, web server, NAS etc. ports available without sacrificing performance I'll be happy with it.

Building an identical package on Plusnet (even staying on business and with the prioritised service and caller display add-ons) I would be saving over £20 per month which is enough to make me consider switching.

Edit: Spoke with Aquiss and am now convinced all I needed to do was look into their home fibre packages. Thread ended!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules