Sponsored Links

looking for help with android

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
long story short, lve finally managed to get my Liquid E2 V370 rooted.. my hope is to get rid of apps that l dont need and move more of the apps l couldnt to the SD card.

problem is lm having trouble finding something thats easy to use and understand. simply put lm looking for something to reclaim internal phone storage because as it stands now l cant install anything on the phone without removing stuff l want to keep on my phone. its even more annoying because out of the box there was plenty of space but after being given this phone then factory resetting it.. theres still hardly any space on it meaning l cant even update apps.

any information would be useful, especially seeing as lve asked this question on a few different android forums but one deleted my question, another banned me for double posting (the second post was to inform them ld worked out how to do my original question) and the other forum well.. the question has been posted for a week and no ones replied so lm sort of at a loss of where to ask for help on reclaiming space.

Hi Timeless, I have never heard of that phone. What are its specs and what version of Android is it running? Is there a vanilla Android OS, or something like MIUI overlying it?

Some of the newer versions are a lot more "locked down" in certain areas.

However, even with root, I dont know of any program that will batch move/delete stuff for you.

In fact, some phones dont support apps on removable storage at all.

BTW, I am a bit concerned to see you now list Aquiss as your ISP, especially seeing how many ISPs you have jinxed!! You be nice to Aquiss!!!

spec page: http://www.gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/acer/liquide2/

there are apps out there that allow you to move most apps to the SD that use a kind of sym link to the data but require the phone be rooted (tho most of the recommended apps seem kinda confusing), but when my mother first got this phone it had over a gig of free space and when l received it when she upgraded l installed like two apps and updated the rest (most of which were preinstalled) and ended up with space warnings.. even after a full factory reset which begs the question of where the space went.

suffice to say l want to strip it down and have as much on the SD card as l can since lve got like 25gb free and less than 10meg on the phone, like l said when it came out of the box it had like 2gigs of space internally and well l see none of it.

(as for my signature.. my first ISP was Ceneral point which were bought out by Fast24 who ran out of money or something like that which worked out somewhat well for me as l was moving house at the time and due to the nature of what happened l couldnt transfer to another provider, from there l went to AOL who wanted shot of me because l kept on complaining about how the speed was crap 24/7 after some issues they had, then went to EurISP who complained l downloaded too much [they died a good few years after l left them], from there it was Virgin, but when we moved to the west midlands it was a bit problematic with getting ADSL so was with three for a while.. and then we have Aquiss which l went with because l could pay more flexibly not to mention they allowed me to stay on BT hardware as l was on BT basic at the time.. l would have stayed with them but l wanted FTTC which is why lm now with Sky).

Sponsored Links
to be quite honest, ld have preferred to of stayed. but like l said l wanted FTTC and the packages didnt meet my needs or price range, maybe one day l'll go back but it all comes down to price for me at the moment.

Don't forget to clear app cache too, some apps like Firefox seem to make a bigger cache than data file and they're pretty rubbish at clearing it. Something like this may help to free up space and can also solve some cache related woes.

App Cache Cleaner
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.cache&hl=en_GB

Alternatively you can just go to 'Storage' under the settings menu and click 'Cached data' down the list to remove it all, although I tend to find that this doesn't always seem to work. Not sure why.

As for moving apps to the SD card, this can make it simple:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ljmobile.move.app

However I would stress that some apps really don't work well or even at all when shifted to the SD. It's also important to make sure that the SD card is a fast / good quality one, as otherwise it will slow things down. Also don't buy SD cards from eBay, even the branded ones are usually Chinese knock-offs that are completely rubbish.

Another tip is to get rid of bloat-ware, which often gets loaded into the phones memory by default. Thankfully you've rooted your device, so you can delete those, but even if you haven't then what most people don't realise is that you can still DISABLE them. This can be done from going to the apps menu under settings and then clicking disable on the bloatware apps that you don't want. NOTE: sometimes you have to tap 'Uninstall' before it gives you the option to 'Disable'.

well lve managed to make some space which filled up quite quickly after updating apps lol tho there doesnt seem to be a great many apps lm able to move... and there is still several updates lm unable to do :/

would be pretty useful if there were some list of safe apps to remove as most of the ones l dont use seem to be under the "should keep" label.

that said, lm pretty glad l was able to root the phone seeing as l managed to get rid of 200meg l didnt need despite the fact most of the space l used again was app updates.. (as for the disable feature, it doesnt get rid of content just hides it).

Sponsored Links
You have to wonder if it is worth the hassle; that is a seriously old,, budget spec phone.

As for losing space after updates; have you never noticed the programs keep getting bigger and bigger in size, but never do anything extra?

Android 5 wont even install properly on 2GB from what I have heard.

Perhaps it is time for someone to produce TinyAndroid, the same way they did XP, Vista and Win7; with all the unneeded crap cut out.

You can pick up a Xiaomi Red Rice (HongMi) Note or Note 2 for well under a tonne, 16/32GB + SD card slot, and 4-8 cores depending on what you chose, plus, the nice, big, clear, 5.5" screen is good on tired old eyes.
(32GB versions are called "Pro").
Unlike the landfill makers, these are fully supported with updates by Xiaomi, and the MIUI interface is much nicer than vanilla Android.

Just a thought, when is her birthday??

while l agree, l have to make do with what l can afford.. most of my disposable cash is caught up in online surveys (got a good 100 or so waiting for me to claim it, already earned 500 via doing them over the years lol).

and my other income is non-existant at the moment with the jobs market being as it is (and before anyone mentions benefits, ld claim them if l could.. but the government loves the fact that they can keep ppl off by refusing them to make the unemployment stats look good).

whos birthday? XD

Sorry to hear that Timeless, Dave has to pay for his new "Presidential" jet somehow.

its not just the jet we will be paying for, seems council tax is going to go up due to the floods.. Cameron seems to think we should all pay for defences despite the fact they cut them and refuse to claim on an EU fund which is set aside for these situations :/

Sponsored Links
back on the original subject, looks like rooting caused some annoying crashing issues (tho it could be down to something l uninstalled Y_Y it kinda feels like the longer the phone is on the more likely to crash even if lve not touched it).

been looking into cyanogen mod for it but it doesnt seem its been ported over to the Liquid E2 (even tho many were begging for it few years back).. now l just want to find a custom rom that works for the phone thats easy to install and doesnt install all the crap but offers extra functionality outside of the general stock software..

Did you make a back-up before rooting/removing stuff??

Restore to normal, root, then remove a few of the programs you dont need, then give it a week to check for stability. At least that way you will be able to identify what is causing the issue.

I have my own issues right now, I have had FOUR dead drives, and two dying - in the space of a few days. One of the dead drives is a SSD I only fitted a couple of weeks ago.
TBF, the other three dead drives were all caused by an external caddy, but the SSD and the two dying drives mean I have lost the OS drive on my main PC TWICE since Christmas, AND my spare (Linux) PC.

A big gripe with Linux, the drive is dying, but there doesnt appear to be any easy way to clone it to a spare drive without risking a "Live DVD" - I have had issues with "Live DVD" versions of Ubuntu in the past. If W7 et al, can make a snap-shot of the active OS disk, why cant Linux??

thats one of the processes l took, didnt really help :p l might just try the stock rom on ACER, that might remove some of the stuff three bundled with the phone.. lve seen other ACERs which didnt come with what l have.

as for the SSDs.. you havent been defragging them have you? because thats how ppl l know have killed them within weeks.

No; it had been playing up since the day I fitted it, random lock-ups and being lost from the BIOS on reboot; although at the TIME I wasnt sure what was happening. I had a lot of lock-ups from the new 64bit version of FireFox, so I did wonder if it was a new issue with that.

hmm strange, lve had this long running issue with mkv files (they usually contained subtitles).. basically l get a small system hang when opening.. however this install l tweaked my setup a little, not to mention lm using a newer version of CCCP that l avoided for a while (mainly because l was running into too many files that used newer codecs), l also installed external filters ffdshow etc now when using media player classic l get none of the annoying hangs when running mkvs (bare in mind this issue only happened once per boot on the first mkv opened), now l only get the annoyance on windows media player which l use allot less.

still talking about SSDs, it kinda sounds like a bios issue to me, how old is the board? (for that matter what is the motherboard make/model).. might be worth updating the bios, its not something l like doing myself but its not like l wouldnt do it if l was forced to.. thankfully my current setup is a Gigabyte board which has dual bios so if l run into problems l always have a backup bios to revert to, another idea would be to check connectors and try a different SATA.

Sponsored Links
It is an older board, but I had another SSD working fine; I took that out and put it in my daughters ancient SX280.

The new, new SSD (replacement for the dead one), wont work on the SATA port the others were using, but a Toshiba 3GB drive works fine.

The mobo is the only component of the PC that hasnt been changed in the last year, so I am steeling myself to do it some time THIS year. (~Six years old)

kinda surprised any SSD would work in the system if the board is six years old tbh, that said SSDs can be finicky.. while l personally havent had any issues with any SSDs lve fitted into my systems its not been unheard of to change from one to another and have to do updates on the bios just to get it stable.. hell sometimes firmware updates help.. that said maybe its an excuse to get a nice new board :p

I have my original SSD working in my daughters PC; the SX280 is a teenager that comes with Intel Pentium 4 cpus and a SATA 1.5 interface. As long as they meet SATA compliance, I dont see why they wouldnt work in anything

you would assume, but that isnt always true sadly.. not all hardware likes to talk the same way and some doesnt like older hardware :/

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules