Sponsored Links

Looks like FTTC is finally coming!

Must feel like night and day compared with 2Mbps down / 0.3Mbps up :) . Might want to update the TBB signature image hehe.

It really does, being able to stream TV, Netflix and Youtube simultaneously is amazing. PC game updates take minutes rather than hours. Will update my signature tomorrow.

About a month into having fibre, I get a fault. OR engineer came out yesterday and so far looks resolved, they really need to get rid of that copper!

I suspect TalkTalk and Sky may not be too pleased if they get rid of the copper but I agree, it's going to have to be replaced eventually. So far we've only seen the PSTN withdrawal talked about for 2025 but no agreement on physically removing or disabling copper lines themselves as optical fibre arrives. We might get a better idea of the gov's position this summer.

After my initial fault things seemed to be fine for a day or two, then my fibre started dropping again. Second OR engineer comes out and finds two faults on the line, I think this was helped by the wet weather. The issue was intermittent.

Fault 1. Found between the two sets of green cabs on the copper
Fault 2. Found on the pole outside the house

It's great that I have fast broadband, downside is that the copper along the route is causing issues. I've had quite a few copper line faults during the last 12 months. I always thought (incorrectly) that the only copper part would now be between the house and the new green cab which would reduce these type of faults. That is in reference to fault 1, I understand that fault 2 would still happen.

Now though seems to be fine, hopefully speed will go back up a little. Upload has gained 1mb. The second OR engineer was a credit to his company, nice guy and showed that he cared. Can't say that about all OR engineers.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately have had to call out OR again, seeing more errors on the line. Apparently they moved me on to another copper line but it's still dropping.

Now I've resorted to removing the Draytek router to see if the TalkTalk performs better, didn't previously. What I find remarkable is that I cannot enable the WAN to respond to ping on the HG633.

The line has since dropped in the early hours, but it's performance seems slow at times. With the Draytek connected the line could go hours without dropping but then drop twice in an hour.

Last edited:
After some advice please.

Recently got FTTC deployed by Openreach, so nice to go from 2mb to 40. Rather than use the ISP's 'basic' router I bought a second hand Draytek 2760 on Ebay.

First month everything was fine, suddenly started seeing line drops and after three OR engineer visits I feel I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

Draytek router the other day would be fine for a few hours, then it may suddenly lose sync 2/3 or maybe 4 times in an hour. When I first had issues I plugged in the ISP's router and I noticed not only did it drop from time to time, throughput was terrible.

This time around I've repeated that exercise, now the ISP router is syncing slower but looks to be remaining solid for approx 24 hours. It has yet not to drop for two days.

Speaking with someone at the ISP, they can see errors on the line. OR struggle to see a problem. What can I do? Is the Draytek at fault? I have one of the new master sockets so no filter is required. Do I go and purchase another router? Seriously the ISP one is bad, can't even enable ping on the WAN and cannot get dynamic DNS to work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Before I forget, Draytek SNR would normally range between 4/5/6 and the ISP router is now at 4.4 but yesterday was at 6.5.

I have my draytek set to use 5dB as on openreach FTTC they are now using the 3dB as the target, I found my draytek dropped the connection at 3dB every few hours. Set to 5dB by telnet and been online over 30 days.

DrayTek kit is very tweakable, good solid routers, but they can be a bit pricey and suffer on the WiFi performance side.

Sponsored Links
Had another engineer out yesterday, managed to get a Saturday appointment.

He discovered that at the end of the driveway the connection syncs at 60mb, at the master socket I lose a lot of speed. As the poles in my area carry power as well he had to put the job back into the system as it's a two man job. Doesn't take a genius to know that the problem is between said pole and the house.

Hopefully they can find it!

Openreach came back yesterday and replaced the D-side, line speed back up to 43mb with an SNR of 6. Seems to be stable for now, will wait and see. Slightly frustrating that the other line is running at 10mb more, might just have to live with that.

Hopefully it's the end of this saga.

Line performance has been good, no errors. Only drops have been because the connection has synced higher, now at 49MB.

Since the d-side was replaced the connection has remained stable and therefore has picked up speed, it's faster now than when the upgrade completed. Very happy indeed, just shame that it took four Openreach visits.

Here is the line history.

Date/Time Avg Down Avg Up Provider
06-08-2018 09:54:05 (GMT) 47.0 Mbps 8.1 Mbps TalkTalk
13-07-2018 21:30:16 (GMT) 38.9 Mbps 8.0 Mbps TalkTalk

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules