Sponsored Links

LOS Light on ONT after installation

wiktorjurek

Casual Member
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering whether anybody here has experienced the same thing about getting their fibre activated. I placed the order on the 1st of November with Vodafone, and the engineer came out on the 15th, but he said there was no light in the box - "you have to call Openreach or your ISP".

The engineering notes I got back were "No Light at DP; there is no light or high light loss at CBT (FPD). I checked all ports, and all said LOS. Full fit completed from ONT to CBT."

Phoned Vodafone, and they confirmed that they "currently have a problem in the network resulting in light loss along the fibre route".

Ok, fine. I asked for a resolution date, and I got the 23rd. Got in touch with Vodafone again, and now they're saying, "An N11 engineer is required to resolve this issue" and to "review on 29-11-2023 to confirm if the issue has been resolved and to understand the next steps". Phoned again on the 29th, and they say "review on 06-12-2023 to confirm if the issue has been resolved and to understand the next steps".

It seems like I'm stuck in a bit of a loop here, and it's been a month without internet. I know this is an Openreach issue, and it seems like nobody at Vodafone is able to commit to a resolution date. Are there any direct lines to Openreach that *aren't* through a useless ISP? Anyone else had this problem before?

Basically no chance to contact Openreach - they only deal directly with the public when it comes to health and safety concerns.

Chances are that it's a complex fault, and these can take time to resolve. Might involve earth works, road closures, etc. Your ISP aren't trying to hoodwink you or anything, they're just waiting for Openreach to complete the work

Received another update today: "There is a problem in the network resulting in light loss along the fibre route. A skilled n-11 engineer is required to resolve this issue. They will share the next update on 12-12-2023 to confirm if the issue has been resolved and to understand the next steps"

These genuinely feel like canned responses, and after a chat with our neighbours - they have had fiber installed. I don't have the skills to troubleshoot this myself, but it's weird that there's light loss along the route despite my neighbour's fiber being up and running no bother.

Sponsored Links
Are you an overhead or underground install?

Our local CBT is full, so if any other people wanted to connect to the CBT it would have to be replaced or extended.

You seem to be describing a full or faulty CBT, does not matter if your neighbour is connected if the ports are full and the port on the CBT you are assigned is faulty it's a big job to replace which takes time.

Vodafone will compensate for loss of service.

Are you an overhead or underground install?

Our local CBT is full, so if any other people wanted to connect to the CBT it would have to be replaced or extended.

You seem to be describing a full or faulty CBT, does not matter if your neighbour is connected if the ports are full and the port on the CBT you are assigned is faulty it's a big job to replace which takes time.

Vodafone will compensate for loss of service.
Overhead - It's up next to a tree out the back. Appreciate the response, though - I'll keep this thread posted in case other's are coming across the same problem in the future and would like sample of how long this kind of problem takes to get resolved.

Update: Phoned up Vodafone. It seems like it *is* a bigger fault at play. An N11 engineer came out to the cbt today, and couldn't get it fixed. An N23 engineer has been called out to fix it and there will be an update on the 14th.

I wonder if we can get an N99 engineer? šŸ˜

I had a similar issue where some engineer connected up my port to the wrong fiber further down the road. Luckily the engineers were in the area and I got an engineer in the next day to go down one of the manholes and swap me over. My neighbour got theirs installed before me with no issues. I'm sure you will get it sorted soon!

Sponsored Links
Just got a phone call from an Openreach engineer. He said that the ONT is now reporting as live and active. Apparently, the cbt I was quoted on has no light, so he's routed me to a different one. I'll be home soon to see if that's worked out, but I'm feeling hopeful.

It really seems like the person that mounted the ONT should have seen that and just fixed that issue there and then.

Just got a phone call from an Openreach engineer. He said that the ONT is now reporting as live and active. Apparently, the cbt I was quoted on has no light, so he's routed me to a different one. I'll be home soon to see if that's worked out, but I'm feeling hopeful.

It really seems like the person that mounted the ONT should have seen that and just fixed that issue there and then.
Is the installation engineer paid for installing ONT or fixing faults, if they have a ONT installation target to hit, then even a faulty installation is on target.

I agree that the CBT should have been checked, but does that require a field engineer or an installation engineer.

Yeah it's not the installation person's job to troubleshoot CBTs and neither should they be attempting to find a CBT to connect a customer if that one doesn't work.

For all they know the other CBT is on a different OLT port and the installation will fail anyway as the ONU isn't provisioned to it.

As with Virgin Media cable and others there's a clear demarcation point between installation and network. It's the tap bank for Virgin Media and the CBT for Openreach, et al.

Yeah it's not the installation person's job to troubleshoot CBTs and neither should they be attempting to find a CBT to connect a customer if that one doesn't work.

For all they know the other CBT is on a different OLT port and the installation will fail anyway as the ONU isn't provisioned to it.

As with Virgin Media cable and others there's a clear demarcation point between installation and network. It's the tap bank for Virgin Media and the CBT for Openreach, et al.
I think they should still be checking for light though... My installation engineer checked light on the port I was supposed to be on of which there wasn't any so he moved me to the other on the pole. Maybe as there are only 3 customers on that pole of which there are 2 CBT's, they get a bit more freedom to move customers around? That was whilst he was up the ladder doing the initial check.

It was only later that they found out that the next CBT port that had light was connected to the wrong fiber....

I think if the engineer installing goes the extra mile, It makes the whole company look so much better (from my view, I couldn't have been more pleased). I hear of too many stories of engineers doing the least amount they can, just so they can fit more jobs in that day.

Sponsored Links
It causes problems further down the line though. If your connection has been built and allocated to a CBT port, and that port is faulty, the fix is to either repair the splice, replace the CBT, or rebuild your connection to use a different port. It's not to just plug it in where you want, because that could easily cause a situation where your neighbour orders a service, the engineer is given a port number to use, and unplugs your service in the process.

I think they should still be checking for light though... My installation engineer checked light on the port I was supposed to be on of which there wasn't any so he moved me to the other on the pole. Maybe as there are only 3 customers on that pole of which there are 2 CBT's, they get a bit more freedom to move customers around? That was whilst he was up the ladder doing the initial check.

It was only later that they found out that the next CBT port that had light was connected to the wrong fiber....

I think if the engineer installing goes the extra mile, It makes the whole company look so much better (from my view, I couldn't have been more pleased). I hear of too many stories of engineers doing the least amount they can, just so they can fit more jobs in that day.
Light on your port, yes, absolutely, but not light further into the network. If none of the ports on the CBT have light the CBT probably doesn't or is faulty.

They don't have permission to mess with the network past the CBT. They are installers not network engineers.

This isn't about going the extra mile. The CBT has however many fibres it has ports going into it with spares. If none of those are lit it's off to the splitter assembly, there's nothing else in between besides passive fibre. They don't know how the network is cabled at that point as they don't have access to the records: what do you suggest he could do?

They don't have freedom to randomly move customers to different CBTs and shouldn't. On a single CBT fine as long as they record it. No guarantee both CBTs are on the same port back at the exchange and quickly becomes a nightmare if installers play fast and loose with them.

My installation engineer instigated on their laptop the "rebuild" of my service from my originally allocated port to one on the adjacent CBT. The rebuild took a few minutes.

Why? My house is halfway between two poles and had no history of overhead line service, the copper phone line was underground and direct buried. Trees would have made the installation from the originally allocated CBT more complicated, and I had run copex to make their installation very easy to one corner of the eves and this corner was much closer to the adjacent CBT. Getting the circuit rebuilt was a non-issue from my installers point of view.

That makes sense, using the Openreach systems to link the premise to a different CBT, having the change accepted and all the databases and provisioning systems update is very different to an installer on the ground making their own decisions on where to plug drops in.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules