Sponsored

Losing temper with Be

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
My connection keeps disappearing!

For a while it has happened once or twice a week (doesn't cause me any problems) but so far it has happened 6 times today.

The router ADSL light flashes for a minute or two the goes solid again ( the internet light goes off completely, then returns during this time) - then, despite the relevant lights indicating there is a connection, when I try to browse anywhere I get a holding page from the router saying the ADSL is down.

Rebooting the router and all connected PCs restores the connection. For a while.

I'm dreading having to deal with the useless tech support guys at Be.

louisbs

Pro Member
They wont know there is a problem unless you tell them... sitting there stewing and getting angry is not gonna help lol
Your adsl shouldnt lose sync very often.
Submit a ticket or use there forum.
The 3 times I have called them.. they acknowledged the problem!

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Ok try this, i had a similar problem with my Be connection and it turned out to be the Be Box. Turn the box upside down and leave it sitting that way. The Be box does have a nasty habbit of overheating very quickly and then dropping the connecton. My Be box has been sitting upside down for about 6 months now and it's been fine ever since.

Might be worth a go.

Last edited:

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
louisbs - they do know - I submitted a ticket a while ago (and updated it again yesterday).

Onephat - that's just wierd enough to work (or you're winding me up ;) ). I'll give it a go. I suspect it's something to do with the BeBox since the ADSL always works after rebooting it. Mind you, it's been fine today.

PeteK - will do if it happens again.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Onephat - that's just wierd enough to work (or you're winding me up ;) ). I'll give it a go. I suspect it's something to do with the BeBox since the ADSL always works after rebooting it. Mind you, it's been fine today.
QUOTE]

I had a very similar problem to you and it's worked fine for me, i've only had to reboot the router once or twice in the last 5 or 6 months since doing that. Before that i was doing it 5 or 6 times a week easily. It might not help you but it's worth a try. I promis you its not a joke.

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
BeBox is the Netgear DG834GT with a propriaty firmware isn't it? as they have a nasty habit of overheating :crap: if it is, didnt you get the legs to stand it on its side. (gives it a better airflow) May help..

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Nope - it's a Speedtouch 716 or 780 (in my case, 780). I think they may use something different for their lower-end connection though

Onephat - I will try your suggestion once I know the problem has returned - ie next time the connection dies again.

Thanks

Andy

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
if it does happen chuck it over here, were ankle deep in snow so no chance of it overheating tonight.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
It did happen at the end of yesterday, so now it's upside down. I won't know if it's working for a few days though.

You could always use the router to melt the snow! :) WHereabouts are you? I've got no snow, and it wasn't even that cold this morning.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
It did happen at the end of yesterday, so now it's upside down. I won't know if it's working for a few days though.

You could always use the router to melt the snow! :) WHereabouts are you? I've got no snow, and it wasn't even that cold this morning.
North West Leicestershire, it was still snowing this morning.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Heh, I used to live in Leicester - since I was a student at the time I used beer to keep me warm!

My router is now upside down, although since I am now at work, I won't know if the connection has remained stable until I get home. I'll give it a few days to see if it is now reliable, since it didn't always go down every day.

In fact, this weekend the score was Saturday it went down 8 times, SUnday once.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
if it keeps doing it i'd be on the phone to Be getting myself a new bebox, although trying to get one out of them its much harder than you'd think. Are you on the £14/£18 or £24 package? if your not in a contract i'd be threatening to cancel if they don't replace it.

And yes Leicester is always cold ! It's not snowing now though.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I'm on the £24-but-soon-to-be-£18 deal. Be Unlimited.

I think if you are on the lower/slower option you get a different device. There are two "BeValue" devices listed on the BeBox support page, in addition to the two Speedtouch models.

If keeping it upside down does fix it, I'll ask for a new box on the basis that this one is obviously faulty - even if it is a design fault (don't they even get tested, FFS).

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
i think mine is the 780 or something but can't remember and its at home at the moment.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Mine is the 780 - there is another Speedtouch mentioned on their support pages (the 716) - maybe that was distributed before the 780.

PeteK

ISP Rep
Mine is the 780 - there is another Speedtouch mentioned on their support pages (the 716) - maybe that was distributed before the 780.
That is indeed correct. The 716 was the previous model supplied, and in some cases what they supply today so I've read as the routers are sometimes refurbished.

holom

Snow here in Nottingham :) yesterday that is

Not stealing the thread but thought I should post that other users are having these problems.

My line is (was? we'll see with the new router) also dropping. The speedtouch 780 they sent me died after 1 month and I now have a 585 (just set up yesterday) so will have to see if I get any more dropouts.

holom

Even if the 780 was losing its grip at least it responded - the 585 just dropped connection and appeared to reconnect but stopped responding completely (http/telnet interfaces) :( had to power off/on

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2464)
  2. FTTP (2093)
  3. FTTC (1631)
  4. Building Digital UK (1574)
  5. Politics (1380)
  6. Openreach (1378)
  7. Business (1207)
  8. Statistics (1077)
  9. FTTH (1014)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1006)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (884)
  14. 4G (874)
  15. Virgin Media (843)
  16. Sky Broadband (586)
  17. EE (577)
  18. TalkTalk (563)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules