Sponsored Links

Low cost email hosting

I have a .co.uk domain name which I use solely for emails – up to three addresses at any one time. I do have a “holding page” which doesn’t go anywhere and I’m not interested in expanding into blogging, e-commerce etc.

I’ve been with my hosting company for over 8 years. They are UK based, have helpful support for non-tekkies like me and have been completely reliable. They have recently re-jigged their back-end and their cheapest package will now be 219.4% more expensive on renewal next May. Yikes!!

I do have other email addresses from my ISP plus an Outlook address but would like to keep my domain name and its emails without having to resort to beans on toast for the rest of my life.

Any suggestions for an alternative hosting provider that offers a basic package at a reasonable price, say a single website, a dozen email addresses, preferably UK based, idiot-proof support and do what they say on the tin.

Thanks Lucien – this seems to be the kind of service I’m looking for. I particularly like their “pros and cons” page outlining what to expect from the service.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Mythic Beasts - well resepected, UK based and run by geeks, which means that if you do have technical queries you'll be speaking to someone clueful.

I also suggest contacting Mythic Beasts for email and domain hosting, been with for years, very helpful, any issues clearly explained. At domain renewal few years ago, helpfully advised that nominet were about to hike their prices. £20 per year service charge. Nominet domain fees (no extras). Unlimited domains, unlimited email addresses.

For other readers, they offer more extensive hosting options, from self manage servers to fully serviced servers, virtual and dedicated servers. RaspberryPI servers, Free SSL Certificates, wordpress hosting etc.

Oh an cracking good customer support.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for dragging up this thread again. I've been with 123-Reg for 10 years and was blissfully unaware of the .UK price hikes by Nominet.

I'd be most grateful if you kind folk on the forum could suggest an alternative domain host for a org.uk domain. I do like the sound of Mythic Beasts, would folk still recommend them in 2023?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry for dragging up this thread again. I've been with 123-Reg for 10 years and was blissfully unaware of the .UK price hikes by Nominet.

I'd be most grateful if you kind folk on the forum could suggest an alternative domain host for a org.uk domain. I do like the sound of Mythic Beasts, would folk still recommend them in 2023?

Many thanks in advance.
Just for email hosting, right?
Migadu or Fastmail

Many thanks in advance.
I've been using Mythic Beasts for a number of years to host a number of small commercial websites + mail hosting. I've very rarely needed to contact support but on the few occasions I have, the support has been good - it's all by email - no phones.

Would recommend them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the recommendations @Lucian and @brookfields

I might host in the medium term. But for now, I just want to register the domain as it is about to expire in a week!
I've recently moved a bunch of domains (including .co.uk) to Namecheap, seems like a reasonable company and the prices are very competitive - as the name implies.

You can also buy emails for your domain from them, I think it's about £1/m/mailbox.
https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/

Cloudflare seems to be cheapest around for domains

I have a .co.uk domain name which I use solely for emails – up to three addresses at any one time. I do have a “holding page” which doesn’t go anywhere and I’m not interested in expanding into blogging, e-commerce etc.

I’ve been with my hosting company for over 8 years. They are UK based, have helpful support for non-tekkies like me and have been completely reliable. They have recently re-jigged their back-end and their cheapest package will now be 219.4% more expensive on renewal next May. Yikes!!

I do have other email addresses from my ISP plus an Outlook address but would like to keep my domain name and its emails without having to resort to beans on toast for the rest of my life.

Any suggestions for an alternative hosting provider that offers a basic package at a reasonable price, say a single website, a dozen email addresses, preferably UK based, idiot-proof support and do what they say on the tin.
Why not host your own mail server (there are free ones available) on your LAN (I'm assuming you have a LAN)?

P.S. you would need a fixed IP address for best results.

Why not host your own mail server (there are free ones available) on your LAN (I'm assuming you have a LAN)?

P.S. you would need a fixed IP address for best results.
You need a heck lot more to host your own mail than a fixed ip, like sysadmin level know-how and nerves of steel to deal with the countless deliverability and spam problems you're going to have.

Sponsored Links
I use mxroute for some of my email addresses. They are inexpensive especially if you find an offer on lowendtalk forum. The owner is very technical and sets high standards re deliverability of email. They have I think 2 webmail interfaces plus pop/SMTP/IMAP

Reactions: zdz
You need a heck lot more to host your own mail than a fixed ip, like sysadmin level know-how and nerves of steel to deal with the countless deliverability and spam problems you're going to have.
Nonsense, any reasonably capable user can install an on-premises product such as Zimbra (there are others). It's a relatively easy product to install on a LAN behind a capable router/firewall using centos compatible distribution (I use RockyLinux) or Ubuntu. I've been continually using Zimbra since it was released in 2005 and I'm no expert.

PS I forgot to add that if you don't have a fixed IP address you can always relay mail through an external server. That will solve any deliverability problems you might encounter and there are free sites that provide that service.

Nonsense, any reasonably capable user can install an on-premises product such as Zimbra (there are others). It's a relatively easy product to install on a LAN behind a capable router/firewall using centos compatible distribution (I use RockyLinux) or Ubuntu. I've been continually using Zimbra since it was released in 2005 and I'm no expert.

PS I forgot to add that if you don't have a fixed IP address you can always relay mail through an external server. That will solve any deliverability problems you might encounter and there are free sites that provide that service.
Zimbra is dead.
I stand by my original comment.
I wish we had an internet where anyone could self host email and other stuff, but it's not what we have.. What we have is a cesspool, ruined by commercial interests.

Last edited:
Zimbra is dead.
I stand by my original comment.
I wish we had an internet where anyone could self host email and other stuff, but it's not what we have.. What we have is a cesspool, ruined by commercial intetests.
Zimbra is dead with 500 million users? I think you must be dreaming. I also did not say Zimbra was the only product, there are plenty of 'free' alternatives such as Carbonio from Zextras. ;)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules