Sponsored Links

LTE/4G Routers - Locking Download Band

Whatzisface

Casual Member
Does anyone know which, if any, LTE/4G Routers are able to have their download frequency bands manually set, directly from within their settings?

I am aware that Huawei ones can have their bands set by using LTE H-Monitor, but I would rather be able to do it directly.

Some TP link ones are, the MR600 V1 with a beta firmware (but it doesn't support B3+B1, if that's of concern). I think the V2 comes with band selection out of the box (though don't quote me on it). I also think the Mikrotik ones to - I understand they're highly configurable, however not friendly for a more novice user.

Thanks Gavin. We have two EE masts locally. The closest one with the strongest signal is B20 only, with max DL speed of 9Mbps. The other one is further away and has B20 and B3. On B3 we get DL speeds of 65Mbps, but the router keeps defaulting to the closer, and stronger, B20 signal.

So I want to be able to lock the router to B3 only.

Sponsored Links
If you're using EE for 4G then try ensure that you get something that can aggregate B3+B3 (contiguous), that will ensure that if/when EE roll out their 2nd B3 carrier to you (if they haven't already) then it'll be faster than a single carrier.

Thanks Gavin, that's useful to know. I checked the manual for the MR600 V.2 that you suggested above, and you are correct. It states that the bands for 4G can be selected, so thanks again for your response.

I can't vouch for the device, or its features, and whether it'll meet your requirements in other ways - as ever I encourage doing some more in-depth research to be sure it suits your requirements.

If you're using EE for 4G then try ensure that you get something that can aggregate B3+B3 (contiguous), that will ensure that if/when EE roll out their 2nd B3 carrier to you (if they haven't already) then it'll be faster than a single carrier.
Excellent point. My local mast recently had this enabled so I get the same download speed whichever B3 carrier the modem connects to as its primary. It doesn't seem to do carrier aggregation on upload, so that does vary (half the speed on the secondary carrier).

Sponsored Links
Excellent point. My local mast recently had this enabled so I get the same download speed whichever B3 carrier the modem connects to as its primary. It doesn't seem to do carrier aggregation on upload, so that does vary (half the speed on the secondary carrier).

I just want to elaborate on this for those reading - EE have 20Mhz of bandwidth in their primary B3 carrier, but their 2nd carrier is seen in varying widths; 10Mhz, 15Mhz and 20Mhz.
I believe 10Mhz (half the width of the primary carrier) is the most common deployment, with 15Mhz and 20Mhz being less used.

Aggregating B3+B3 as 10Mhz+20Mhz or 20Mhz+10Mhz should give the same speed regardless of which way around they are connected. However depending on which is connected as the primary in the router/phone will then mean upload is affected - if the 10Mhz is primary then the upload speed will be half (theoretical) speed compared to the 20Mhz being connected first.

Saying this, I do hear that widening of the 2nd carrier to 20Mhz is apparently being deployed to more areas soon.
If this comes to your are @GaryW then your upload speed should become the same regardless of which carrier is connected to first by your device.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules