Sponsored Links

MacAce email problem

Hello there,

I signed up with MacAce for my webhosting & created an email account to reflect my new domain name.

However, I've experienced a problem: I can send emails using my MacAce account but not receive them. All the test emails my friends have sent to me have been returned to them with "Delivery Status Notification (Failure) error 550 Administrative prohibition" message.

I've been in touch with MacAce who say "It is the sending server which is reporting the issue and will need to be checked." Has anyone else come across this problem??

I'm not technical & know very little about servers so what confuses me is that how come I can receive emails from these very same friends without any problems when I'm using my virginmedia.com email address. If it was an issue with their sending server, surely that would mean no emails through virginmedia as well, not just MacAce??

Thanks for all your help in advance!
P.

What is the domain? Are the MX records set to point to the right mailservers?

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply & sorry I should've explained a bit better, this is a problem with my Apple Mac Mail, I haven't come across MX records in the Mail preferences??

P.

Sponsored Links
Where did you get the domain name and who set it up to point to MacAce?
Your own computer doesn't sound like the problem here.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

I registered the domain name with Nominet. This is the first time I've registered a domain name so perhaps I've missed a step? Website hosting is with MacAce but not sure if anyone had done anything to set it up to point there - sorry to be such a complete novice but is that something I should do? I thought I'd be able to set up my email before I have the website up and running?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate your time :eek:)
P.

If you send yourself an email, does it work?

What is the domain name? You normally don't register a domain direct with nominet.. it should have a TAG pointing it to a reseller.
You then ask this reseller to set the nameservers which in turn provide the MX records for where email should be sent to.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sending emails is not a problem - only receiving them. All the test emails my friends have sent to me have been returned to them with "Delivery Status Notification (Failure) error 550 Administrative prohibition" message. However, I do not receive this message when I send an email from my virginmedia account.

To clarify:

If you send from you@virginmedia.com to you@yourdomainname.co.uk it doesn't bounce..

?

.. and when you 'send and receive' for your new mail box you see the email arrive

?

And if you then reply back to it, and 'send and receive' for your Virgin Media mailbox, it arrives there

?

So it works in both directions in the above example but the problem is *only* when *someone else* e.g. mymate@btinternet.com sends email to you@yourdomainname.co.uk

Is all of that correct?

Hi guys,

Sorry I've not commented for a couple of days. I thought this is a bit silly, having to ask my friends and an internet forum for an answer for this problem so I got in touch with MacAce again. To cut a very long story short, I'm hoping the problem is now solved.

It transpires that MacAce had not configured my domain to point to their servers. I was not a happy bunny as I'd wasted so much of my and everyone else's time on something that should've been basic procedure for MacAce. No apology from MacAce, as yet.

Fingers crossed it'll all be ok from now on & many many thanks for all your help, much appreciated!!!
P.

Sponsored Links
Glad it is sorted :)
Domains can be funny things if you don't know the intricacies of how domains, domain tags, nameservers, mx records and mailservers all link together.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not commented for a couple of days. I thought this is just silly, asking my friends and internet forum members to solve the problem so got in touch with MacAce again. To cut a very long story short, it transpires that my domain had not been configured to point to their servers - fingers crossed it'll all work ok in the future. It's taken hours to get to this point, not massively impressed with MacAce at the moment, no apology received.

Anyway, a big thank you for your time and help guys, much appreciated!!
P.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules