Sponsored

Managing Director Defends Pressure-Sales Tactics

mear

I was looking round for a new ISP "not Entanet" and was emailing a few prospective ones to see what there support was like.

Here is the Exchange from surfanytime:

Mr Smith wrote:

Dear Surfanytime,
Many thanks for the reply and information.
Would really like to try out your Home Broadband,
But it seems that you charge for migration and only have a min of 3month contract,
I was looking for free migration and 1month contracts, so I guess I will have to keep looking.

Thanks for your time
Kind Regards
Reply be Surfanytime's Steve was a shock - he not only [REMOVED WORD] to me, he went a tried to force sell me a timelimited offer.

Hi,

no one will offer you free anything without a contractual tie in, if they do then there will be "exit" charges more than likely what you would have paid to migrate in the first place.

If you migrate to us within the next week and pay the migration fee and decide to leave us within the standard three month term, you can take this email as notice that there will be no penalty and we we will allow you to have a month-month contract from the outset but I cannot offer this with free migration.

If this offer does not match your requirements then best of luck and I hope you will consider us in the future.
Regards
Steve

That shocked me enough to reply with this below
Mr Smith wrote:

Dear Steve,
Wow that's a sweeping statement any factual basis for that?
Free Migration (in/out) & 1 month contract *are* Available from
www.vivaciti.net
www.icukhosting.co.uk
www.adsl24.co.uk
I could go on, but don't have the time...

I have to assume you kinda pulled that out of nowhere, as some kind of misguide sales tactic,
and to be honest, I don't want to sign up with an ISP that makes things up to prospective customers,

What position do you hold with Surfanytime? I would like to CC these emails to your manager is that ok with you?

Many Thanks
Then The Managing Director jumps in with this reply
Hi,

Steve has given you advice based on his knowledge and experience, it that does not match your knowledge and experience then it's that simple, you know something we don't, it's neither made up, a sales tactic or actually as big a deal as you are making it. We all make mistakes Mr Smith, it could be deemed you have by quoting ADSL24 as a prospective supplier to you as they are indeed an Enta partner (http://adsl24.co.uk/partners/)

Not only that, he made a specific offer to you as a prospective customer and you have quite simply slapped it back in his face.

Like you I do not have time either, Steve's comments were accurate to the best of his knowledge and the offer is no longer tabled as you do not match our Customer profile.

Regards
Derek Lewis
MD
That is so unexpected from a MD (In my experiance) I even thought it was Steve trying to cover his butt.
In any case [REMOVED WORDS] withdrawing the offer, and insinuating I have a bad coustomer Profile, and even picking fault in my reply - well lets just say it was very enlightning and I'm glad I found out what kind of MD Surfewise had before I made the mistake of being pressured into their ISP.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
To be fair to the ISP, though others have found their customer support to be a little brash at times, I can't see what the big problem is. They can't "force" you to take a product and the remark about "no one will offer you free anything without a contractual tie in" is fair since even 1 month contracts are still contracts. Same for exit fees, a lot of the time.

Remember you're talking to an ISP here; it's a conversation between you and them so they will of course try to gain your custom just like any commercial business. Nothing in what they said seems terribly off the wall and while the MD’s response may be confrontational, in some respects so was your earlier message.

Best solution, just move on and pick somebody different.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
From ICUK's Free ADSL migrations to ICUK page.

"If you decide to migrate away from ICUK within the first three months of migrating to us, a BT migration fee of £15.00 plus VAT will be billed to your account directly. This only applies to migrations and not new activation lines, and only if you decide to leave within 3 months of joining us."

It makes no sense for an ISP to offer free migration in, just take one month's subscription, and then let you walk away with no further charge - they'd be out of pocket - and I would be rather surprised if, somewhere in the sign-up process, you did not find something similar in a "Terms and Conditions" bit with others.

If not, OK, Steve may not be 100% correct, but I don't think you can realistically expect a customer service rep to be intimately familar with the terms and conditions of literally every ISP, and I expect I would have said the same.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Surfanytime's response seemed fair, they even offered you a decent deal.

FireFly

ISP Rep
I was going to sit down today and respond in full on all of Mr Smith's points/comments but given the responses so far there would appear to be no need to draw this out further.

I'm not an ogre, I'm actually a normal hard working bloke but I will stand up for myself, my colleagues and my business, that's all that was done here.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

DL

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
IMO the language used could be interpreted as a little terse, but the pounts made were ok.

Bottom line is if you aren't happy with a company, don't use them.

mcowley01

I had a similar exchange with Steve in July 2009, it ended by Steve saying:

"As you are looking for free activation, a free wireless modem/router and a monthly contract it is clear our business model does not match your requirements.

Thank you for your interest though,
Steve"

Interestingly, 5 months later they offered all I asked for except the wireless router for £19.99/mo - so I signed up!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2537)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1259)
  8. Statistics (1113)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (923)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules