Sponsored

Maxsurf users: Where next?

Jimbo1960

Casual Member
It looks like (fingers crossed) we may have access to the coveted MAC within the next few days.
Question is: Where to next?

I am a Sky TV subscriber and will be considering a move to their BB service (saving money) or being assimilated into Breathe.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.
Jimbo

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It looks like (fingers crossed) we may have access to the coveted MAC within the next few days.
Question is: Where to next?

I am a Sky TV subscriber and will be considering a move to their BB service (saving money) or being assimilated into Breathe.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.
Jimbo
Sky is a LLU service if all goes well and they perform to expectaions ( this doesn't always happen) then all can go well but if it goes wrong Bisccit affair will look like a holiday :D..

Sorry know a few with horror stories from sky and to migrate back cost them a reactivation fee, good luck with your furtuer ISP

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I understand sky can be a pain when they mess up (a bit like my current ISP), but I'm told the service once sorted is pretty good.

If you can get Sky LLU, at £0 - £10 per month plus the possibility of up to 16mbps ADSL2+ it has got to be worth considering though.

http://check.skybroadband.com

The one thing that puts me off is it is a 12 month contract, although for £60 a year I intend to give it a stab as soon as my AOL contract is up (if not sooner)

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Force 9 are a brand of Plusnet (which are now owned by BT). They are probably fine if you are a light user but if you download binaries or do a lot of P2P, then from what I've read I'd look elsewhere.

jonnylew

Force 9 are a brand of Plusnet (which are now owned by BT). They are probably fine if you are a light user but if you download binaries or do a lot of P2P, then from what I've read I'd look elsewhere.
I agree with you. Their Premier package has a max allowance of 20Gb peak-time, and they have some rather severe restrictions in place regarding P2P.

See http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/bb_premier1.shtml for more details.

ptanser

Hi

Who would you recommend

I need a static IP address
hosting ability
8MB connection

I looked at Force 9 and Eclipse

I don't do alot of P2P downloads but, I do connect to another server for about 8 hours a day

thanks all

NetFan

Top Member
I think if you want as fast connection as possible try be, I hope to get at least half of their 24Mbit offering when I can eventually escape from Biscit

SteveE

Pro Member
Hi
moved from Nildram to Sky and have found the service at least as good as it was with Nildram,in fact probably slightly better in terms of stability regarding speed

JaXanim

Casual Member
As I understand it, Sky are offering existing tv/phone subscribers their 8Mb 'Connect' broadband at £17 per month with a 12 month contract and 40Gb width a month. However there's a £40 Activation fee, which brings it to just over £20 pm for the first year. That sounds good to me, but what does the Activation fee buy you that I don't already have?
I'm awaiting my MAC like eveyone else and wondering where to 'spend it'. My local exchange isn't in Sky's network so can't get any faster (is this the LLU thingy?)
Cheers, JaX

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
That's a shame, it's only been available in mine for the last few months, another one you could try for ADSL2+ is ukonline
Again not all exchanges will be enabled they have all gone for the larger exchanges.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
As I understand it, Sky are offering existing tv/phone subscribers their 8Mb 'Connect' broadband at £17 per month with a 12 month contract and 40Gb width a month. However there's a £40 Activation fee, which brings it to just over £20 pm for the first year. That sounds good to me, but what does the Activation fee buy you that I don't already have?
I'm awaiting my MAC like eveyone else and wondering where to 'spend it'. My local exchange isn't in Sky's network so can't get any faster (is this the LLU thingy?)
Cheers, JaX

Unfortunately Sky charge the same amount for 'activation' for their (BT Ipstream based) 'connect' package whether you are migrating or a new activation, the price does include a 'free' sky router (Netgear dg834gt with sky firmware) which you are expected to use.

The cheaper deals are only available if they have equipment installed in your exchange (LLU = Local Loop Unbundling), or plan to do so in the next six months (in which case the sky checker will offer you connect for £5 per month in the mean time).

Perhaps one of the entanet resellers with a one month contract might be worth considering (I suggest asking in their forum to get some feedback from existing customers first though) eg UKFSN http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html

You could also take a look at Idnet, Newnet and Zen (I think they all offer one month contracts - do check and read the T&C's though)

Last edited:

Kath

Pro Member
I'm with UKFSN for 3 months and no problems :D

If you subscribe to the email notification, they let you know if there is any maintenance/downtime expected.. no problems so far ;)

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Hmm.
I wonder why they need their own firmware?
I hope it isn't loaded with spyware.
If an ISP wanted to spy on you, your connection goes via their servers, so they wouldn't need to mess with the router.

The advantage for the ISP in doing this if the router is semi-locked down with your password & username hard coded in it, is that they can save lots of money on support costs - users can't mess up the settings, so if the router doesn't connect they don't have to go through them with the customer, they can also administer the router remotely and I assume may be able to run tests using it.

Some customers extract the password from the router and use their own, however this does break the T&Cs and you'd need to switch back if or when you call support.

JaXanim

Casual Member
Unfortunately Sky charge the same amount for 'activation' for their (BT Ipstream based) 'connect' package whether - - - -
Perhaps one of the entanet resellers with a one month contract might be worth considering - - - - -

Thanks for the information. There's little possibility of Sky Network coming to my exchange, so I've really just got to decide where to go and get on with it. Even with the activation charge, Sky is cheaper through the first 12 months than Breathe, etc. for their 8mbps service. After that, it's far cheaper. I'm not worried about committing for 12 months. As long as the thing works, I'm happy. I've been with V21/Biscit for several years and would probably have stayed if this malarky hadn't happened.

JaX

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2535)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1111)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1058)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (604)
  17. Sky Broadband (601)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (534)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules