Sponsored

Midway through FTTP installation but stalled

NiallM

Hello, hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me or know what I could possibly do to move on with an FTTP installation to my apartment / apartment block. For a bit of background, I currently live in an apartment in a block of 8 in Belfast, that just before the coronavirus pandemic was in the middle of getting FTTP made available. The area I am in has been FTTP enabled for a while now, yet only my apartment block wasn't and isn't even connected to a FTTC cabinet, so I can only get basic ADSL (I think most ISPs were giving me 1-3MB estimates).

Before coronavirus kicked off, we had some work installed by Openreach (well KNCircet on behalf of Openreach) which has invisilight cables and what I believe are OFS breakout boxes installed to the front door of each apartment. I was told in an original email that this was aimed to be all completed by the end of March and FTTP would be available to order by then, Openreach only had a little external work to finish based on emails with Openreach in March. Obviously coronavirus pushed that back which is totally fine and understandable, but now I am struggling to find out what is left and if Openreach even plan to finish the job.

I deal with a not very efficient or helpful management company for the block as well as some directors who didn't quite see the benefit of having good broadband so wouldn't allow for outside cabling hence I am not able to get Virgin, which I imagine could also be adding to the slowness and struggles to get this work finished. It is just that recent emails with Openreach have been a bit contradictory, for example from my most recent emails with them they said that no agreement was in place as we are an MDU, yet I know for a fact the wayleave was signed and returned, and work has already been done internally within the apartment block so clearly there was an agreement.

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion or idea on what I can do to get the ball rolling again? I kinda feel like if someone was to just come take a look at what has been done so far I could get a straight answer and know if we are planned and if so a very rough timescale.

Thanks for your help!

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Click my name on the left and then 'Start Conversation'. If you're willing to share the details of your apartment block then I can ask Openreach if they're able to clarify what's happening.

sjones

Do you know what... I’m in a similar situation.

All our internal building work for FTTP in Salisbury was completed before lock down.

I placed an order early July 2020 and on the 8th July, they gave me an install date of Today (31st July) to install into my property.

Yesterday, I get an email from my new isp to say OpenReach have cancelled the install due to a Covid-19 restriction!

I googled a bit and found work in MDU (Multi Dwelling Units) appeared to have been halted.

There’s 4 Flats in my block and 2 exits. I’m more annoyed that the order was able to be even placed for a MDU and that no-one picked up on this sooner! My address even has the word ‘Flat’ in it.

Wether this is still current I don’t know. It’s dated 27/4/20. But it states work at MDUs has likely stopped:

NiallM

Do you know what... I’m in a similar situation.

All our internal building work for FTTP in Salisbury was completed before lock down.

I placed an order early July 2020 and on the 8th July, they gave me an install date of Today (31st July) to install into my property.

Yesterday, I get an email from my new isp to say OpenReach have cancelled the install due to a Covid-19 restriction!

I googled a bit and found work in MDU (Multi Dwelling Units) appeared to have been halted.

There’s 4 Flats in my block and 2 exits. I’m more annoyed that the order was able to be even placed for a MDU and that no-one picked up on this sooner! My address even has the word ‘Flat’ in it.

Wether this is still current I don’t know. It’s dated 27/4/20. But it states work at MDUs has likely stopped:
Hi, thought I would follow up to yourself and in general. I heard a little more about our own installation which as you said sounds similar. Sounds like at least here in NI, the MDU team were furloughed during lockdowns but are now beginning to prioritise and schedule work that was ongoing before, based on my recent email from them. Hopefully that is the case for yourself, I am waiting to hear when they plan to resume my buildings specific works but sounded like they plan to resume at some stage fairly soon.

sjones

I was given another install date for tomorrow after a “polite moan” at my new ISP.

Hopefully, it goes ahead this time and it’s not cancelled on me with just a few hours notice.

Especially after I moved a new shower install to next week to make sure there wasn’t 2 contractors on site at the same time!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2758)
  3. FTTC (1785)
  4. Building Digital UK (1743)
  5. Politics (1667)
  6. Openreach (1623)
  7. Business (1435)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1241)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1228)
  11. Fibre Optic (1065)
  12. 4G (1059)
  13. Wireless Internet (1021)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (698)
  17. Vodafone (669)
  18. Sky Broadband (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (519)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules