Sponsored Links

MIFI Vs 4g LTE router

Randomcastle

Casual Member
Like many on this forum I live in a rural location and openreach fixed line broadband is woeful (3 Mbps) so I'm exploring mobile broadband. Can anyone explain why I can get 20 Mbps on a tplink 7350 MIFI device connected to my desktop by USB cable (as a NADIS device) Vs 12 Mbps on the same PC using the same SIM in a d-link DWR 921. (with no other load on the router). Signal strengths look similar.

3G/4G variability? They are far more variable than fixed connections, and in my experience 12/20 could easily be random variations. Or are they consistent differences over multiple measurements?

My own 4G+ can be anything from 30 to 80 Mb/s on a Cat 6 modem during the day, and 120 Mb/s plus if I set up an automatic test in the middle of the night!

Sponsored Links
Both devices look to have similar capabilities, although as ever it's difficult to judge unless you're able to see what bands the routers are using when live and what signal strength readings (not the bars but proper dBm) were being given at the time?

Looking at the tech specs of both I can only assume that the TPLink must have a better internal antenna design and control logic. Don't be fooled by those external omni antenna on the D-Link as a lot of smaller Smartphones have antennas that could beat things like that.

Yeah, they do both appear to be Cat4. I'd love to know what bands I'm using but I don't know of any software either built in to the devices or that I could install separately that would show me. Suggestions gratefully received! Alternatively I guess I could put the sim in my phone and use some android app? Next step is an external antenna - Fullband or Poynting probably

3G/4G variability? They are far more variable than fixed connections, and in my experience 12/20 could easily be random variations. Or are they consistent differences over multiple measurements?

My own 4G+ can be anything from 30 to 80 Mb/s on a Cat 6 modem during the day, and 120 Mb/s plus if I set up an automatic test in the middle of the night!
Pretty consistent. I've locked the devices to 4g. As they are both CAT4 I assume they can't use 4G+ (which is the same as carrier aggregation?)

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules