Sponsored

Migrating to FF 2Mbit?

Quboid

Casual Member
I'm currently on Nildram's 512Kb ADSL deal and I'm very happy with the reliablity, support and speed. However, they have awful prices for faster deals and I'd really like a 2Mbit service. Firefly look like a good ISP and the 2Mbit is much more affordablee.

What is involved in migrating? What all costs are there? What delays are there? I really don't know what to expect - all I know is that my Nildram contract won't be a problem.

Also, is there any to get a static IP?

FireFly

ISP Rep
As we supply a Datastream product, there are no direct migration paths between your existing provider and ourselves. Basically, you would have to cancel your existing line and register with us. When your existing ADSL has been removed from the line, we can progress your order.

As with all Datastream providers, a worse-case installation lead time is around 20 business days but our average installation time is between 10-15.

Statics are available for a one-off setup fee, no recurring fees for static IPs.

Quboid

Casual Member
That was quick!

Shame about the delay, that's rough. What's the one-off for a static? Also, what is a "datastream"?

FireFly

ISP Rep
The one off is £15 +VAT
Simply, Datastream is different from IPStream in the way that the link is between your exchange and the rest of the world. To the end user, there's little if any difference apart from the installation time.

BT have indicated a migration path between IPStream (Nildram) and Datastream providers but it is a long way off imho.

Last edited:

Quboid

Casual Member
15 days is quite long for an addict like me. Is there any reason why this couldn't be done while I'm away on holiday? Would I need to be contacted? I'm planning to be away for about 12 days in June, which would make the delay more acceptable.

Vispa

ISP Rep
Firefly Rep not being funny, but since when has there not been a migration path?

IPStream to Datastream is available, as is IPStream to IPStream...the only one not currently available is Datastream to IPStream, but this should arrive shortly following some trials atm.

I would ask your Telefonica Rep to update you on BT Wholesale news, and send you the technical information, so you can pass to your clients/customers.

Martin

Quboid

Casual Member
Interesting, thanks. I checked out Vispa too, as you're rated highly on this site, but you don't have an affordable, 50:1, 2Mbit package.

What would a migration path actually mean for me? How much time does it save, and does it remove the (re)activiation cost?

Vispa

ISP Rep
I won't comment on our own products, as that would be unfair on Firefly. I would be happy to discuss the technical aspects and why IPStream is priced as it is in our forum or emailed personally.

Migrations mean no downtime at all for you...well the time it takes you to change your username/password....it's also cheaper than having to pay for a new Line Activation following a cease/reprovide which Firefly have told you to do.

I really confused that no migration offering or solution can be provided. Cease and Reprovide is a major last resort that we would never offer people, the only ISP being Tiscali where we have to offer this at present, and of course Datastream ISPs like Firefly who at present no IPStream ISP can bring back....but that will change shortly (as mentioned above).

I'll let Firefly comment further, but really their suppliers should be offering a migration path..maybe they need to push a bit harder on your behalf??

Martin

FireFly

ISP Rep
There is no direct migration path Martin, it's a cease and reprovide.
This isn't a migration in our book as the Customer is down for the reprovision period equal to a new order.

A true migration path is one were there is zero downtime for the Customer, this is currently not possible, coherent with our original reply.

We already know about what is in the planning stage.
We made aware our account manager (same as your dialup) as we found out before they apparently did, which, i'm sure, you will 100% understand ;)

FireFly

ISP Rep
Quboid said:
What would a migration path actually mean for me? How much time does it save, and does it remove the (re)activiation cost?
As it stands right now, you would be hit for a (re)activation fee but the plans that are afoot would see any fee be approx £11 (as I read and understand it)

Quboid

Casual Member
When is change expected? Also, is there a problem with changing while I'm away on holiday?

FireFly

ISP Rep
Quboid said:
When is change expected? Also, is there a problem with changing while I'm away on holiday?
There are no timescales at present, will take some months though.

PM me your CLID and i'll check to see if you can actually get the service.

Vispa

ISP Rep
FireFly said:
There is no direct migration path Martin, it's a cease and reprovide.QUOTE]

How so? Nildram use IPStream and yourselves use Datastream, you migrate as normal and then regrade the circuit to the 2Mb service when theer with you...the customer should get no downtime, less paperwork for you and cheaper for customer.

Odd way of doing things to me, but each to there own......enlighten me?

Martin

FireFly

ISP Rep
Vispa said:
the customer should get no downtime, less paperwork for you and cheaper for customer.
If it could be done Martin, we'd be doing it, it can't.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Perhaps its the three way split. BT like to make it hard so those on Datastream who end up waiting the longest for activation and paying more money. The activation fee always goes to BT if they allow the easy migration on a service they only recieve activation fees for their revenue would drop. :nod:

FireFly

ISP Rep
This'll change in a few months hopefully Kitty as a proper path comes in and realistic regrade fees are applied, £11 I think is the figure BT are banding around.

This, imho, is a decent price as there should be no need for a £55+vat connection fee each time a Customer switches ISP, it will also drive focus onto Customer choice, making it easier to switch between IPS and DS and vice-versa.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2529)
  2. FTTP (2251)
  3. FTTC (1673)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1443)
  6. Openreach (1429)
  7. Business (1257)
  8. Statistics (1109)
  9. FTTH (1103)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (599)
  18. TalkTalk (584)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules