Sponsored Links

Mobile Networks 3G Switch Off Progress

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
1000007940.jpg

1000007938.jpg

• Vodafone is planning to complete its switch-off in early 2024.
  • EE plans to switch-off in early 2024, starting January.
  • Three expects to switch-off by the end of 2024.
  • O2 is planning to switch-off in 2025.
Three 3G Switch Off ⬇️(April Switch Off Map)

Just had a wee lookie there and 3G is still on the go here in Kilwinning from Vodafone. (No Vodafone 3G in Kilwinning now)

As I'm sure you all know, they originally announced it would all be switched off by no later than December 2023 for the whole of the UK.

Latest date from them now is 'early 2024'.

Please feel free to share your 3G switch off progress here folks and lets see how the networks are progressing in this mammoth task.

Are you in an area where Vodafone have already switched 3G off, and is it causing any problems?

It should be quite interesting to see how 3G disappears across the country throughout the coming weeks and months.

Anyway, 3G is still present from all 4 networks here in Kilwinning as of January 1st 2024.😊

How about you? :unsure:

Last edited:
Seems like 3G on VF is still on the go here, roamed onto it whilst I was on emergency calls only on O2 the other day. EE 3G is still showing up, same with 3 UK 3G

Screenshot_2024-01-01-19-07-08-185_com.android.phone.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's the simplest way to see what the phone picks up?
1000007944.jpg

I just turn off the 'select automatically' under network operators in settings Msh. (In connections)

It then shows all the networks and G modes available for each network as shown above.

If that's what you meant. :unsure:

Reactions: Msh
Sponsored Links
Did Vodafone not say end of January at one time or was it always just early 2024?

Sponsored Links
Vodafone have already turned off 3G in Hull. Not really any major issues but a family member has a Samsung A8 from quite a few years ago that does not support VoLTE. Buying her a new phone this week that supports VoLTE more generally. Calls did work but the quality was very poor, I am assuming that her phone was dropping down to 2G for calls and not having a great time with it.

Vodafone have already turned off 3G in Hull. Not really any major issues but a family member has a Samsung A8 from quite a few years ago that does not support VoLTE. Buying her a new phone this week that supports VoLTE more generally. Calls did work but the quality was very poor, I am assuming that her phone was dropping down to 2G for calls and not having a great time with it.
Which is strange because it does look like it supports volte?

You'd think there'd be a big push from networks/manufacturers to get volte in as many of the existing handsets as possible

In rural Shropshire I am still seeing plenty of 3G on Three, which is pretty welcome as it actually works for data and delivers good call performance too.

But on the flip side, it means that Three still have a lot of work to do in rural areas switch off 3G, they still have far too many 3G only MBNL masts which they need to sort out.

The good news is when they do upgrade a mast they tend to add B28, which is such an improvement and covers a huge area in most cases.

Already run into issues with the 3G switch off on Vodafone calls on some family members phones are dropping straight to E instead of staying on 4G or dropping to 3G which is still available

One of them has a phone that supports 5G and one of them has a old Android of some kind

Call quality has been really awful on E with constant breakup a bit like roaming in some countries have moved one of them to EE and the old android is probably needing an upgrade at this point

Already run into issues with the 3G switch off on Vodafone calls on some family members phones are dropping straight to E instead of staying on 4G or dropping to 3G which is still available

One of them has a phone that supports 5G and one of them has a old Android of some kind

Call quality has been really awful on E with constant breakup a bit like roaming in some countries have moved one of them to EE and the old android is probably needing an upgrade at this point
I had this on Vodafone too. Also had the phone hanging onto Edge unnecessarily too.

No HD voice on Edge hence the drop in call quality.

I went with O2 in the end for the 3G backup and this time next year I’ll probably be experiencing exactly the same on O2.

Sponsored Links
Most of these issues i have managed to resolve by going into a hidden menu on Android and setting my device to 4G/NR only

I was gonna say, we don't have these luxuries on IOS unfortunately which is a shame! EE are meant to be switching off 3g in London this month so that'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I can't remember the last time I saw EE 3G in London, I think they'll be fine there.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5378)
  2. BT (3485)
  3. Politics (2490)
  4. Openreach (2274)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2211)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1935)
  9. Statistics (1762)
  10. 4G (1637)
  11. Virgin Media (1586)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1375)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1212)
  17. Vodafone (1123)
  18. EE (1108)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (910)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules