Sponsored Links

Mobile phone much faster than router

gibant1

Casual Member
I first purchased an Archer 600 after testing the speed of my internet on my Oneplus 7T pro McLaren. The archer got 4mbs while my phone gets between 100-150mbs. Thinking I must have a faulty modem I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk M2 and a Poynting XPOL-2 Antenna. With this combination I get between 30-40Mbs. I just don't know why there's such a discrepancy.

When I had the Archer I put the same sim in both and from the same spot did the speed tests. Surely the Antenna's in the routers shouldn't be so inferior.

Any ideas? Thanks for all advice

Th

What network? 3g/4g/5g connections? What bands you're connected on?

There's a red note about your antenna on that page

Do you know your signal strength? Have you tried also without your antenna being connected?

Got any settings/signal pictures by any chance? :)

As @johnro said, try the nighthawk without the antenna. The antenna downgrades you to 2x2 mimo, thus affecting speed.

If you get good speeds on the phone, in the same place the router should get similar.

Sponsored Links
Mobile signals can be weird. Have a read through of this guide to understand why and what you may need to examine:

Oneplus 7T pro McLaren is CAT18 while the Archer MR600 is CAT6 so that will have a bearing on the speed difference between those two.

However, the M2 is CAT20 so it should, in theory, achieve the same speeds at the OP7T in the right spot (minus the antenna).

Sponsored Links
Might be worth returning the Nighthawk and getting a Huawei, maybe B818.

I'm on 3 which is the only tower that covers my property. Without the external antenna I get no signal at all with the nighthawk m2 which is why holding that in my hand any my phone at the same time achieving over 100mbs seems ridiculous.
I'll be doing some more tests with the antenna this weekend and see how I get on.
If there's no improvement I'll return the M2.
I did see a video on the GL-X750 (Spitz) Version 2 which has the ability to tether to a phone and hopefully transfer the connection through it's ethernet port. If it's own connection isn't as good (which I doubt), At least I can do that. I'll buy another phone if I have to!

@gibant1 it's very likely the issue is the one spotted by Gavin. The nighthawk, fancy as it is, does not support b32 which seems to be key in your case from what we can guess.
Get a Huawei B818.
Btw, have you checked if you are in a 5G area?

Sponsored Links
They are rolling 5g out in the area not with 3 at this time. I'm getting between 100-150mbs on 4g with my phone.

They are rolling 5g out in the area not with 3 at this time. I'm getting between 100-150mbs on 4g with my phone.
Update:-
After spending a full afternoon positioning the antenna I did manage to get between 50-70mbs with the M2. Still somewhat short of my mobile so I sent the M2 back and purchased a Oneplus 8 pro.

When I tested the new phone I got 655mbs down 20mbs up. 5g!

3 say it's not in the area yet but....

Tethered I get 200-250mbs, this doesn't change much between Wifi 6 hotspot, Usb or Network tether.

Send the OnePlus back and get a CPE Pro 2 :))

The thing I'm worried about that is that my experience with routers at this point, The mobile phones have proven to be much better.

Sponsored Links
besides moving around and nperf it, is there another way to check best signal location with an iphone?

i went outside in the carpark and i was getting 400-620Mbps so there is room for improvement for myself

besides moving around and nperf it, is there another way to check best signal location with an iphone?

i went outside in the carpark and i was getting 400-620Mbps so there is room for improvement for myself
Nperf it :)
RSRP etc don't directly or accurately translate into higher speeds as we've seen.
Also, keyword in your case above is "outside". Do you have a balcony, or can you do the test on a selfie stick out the window or something?

As @johnro said, try the nighthawk without the antenna. The antenna downgrades you to 2x2 mimo, thus affecting speed.

If you get good speeds on the phone, in the same place the router should get similar.
Netgear? It’s a TPLink the archer, I found TP mifis are great but not the LTE routers, the benefit to some TPL LTE modems is they released firmware thats allows lock down of bands, not so great at Carrier Aggregation either versus their MiFi units but great if for example like me you want to stop EE forcing you to slow band 20 and manually force 2600MHz to go fly, there’s a big difference betwEEn 4 & 40 megs!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules