Sponsored Links

Monitor display from Laptop Wrong Size

OldGeezer

Hi all

So I have a Dell Laptop connected up to an old AOC monitor with a vga/hdmi adaptor.

The display on the monitor is wrong as it doesn't display the taskbar at the bottom or part of the right hand side of the screen.

I have tried changing a few settings, resolution but to no effect :-(

Any ideas?

Try looking for a driver for the AOC, even if you find one it will be old so you will need to force it to be used.

It sounds like overscan which is quite normal to see on a TV but not on a monitor although may be worth checking anyway. On the monitor itself check to see if there's a setting for the picture size or aspect ratio with options like 4:3. 16:9 etc. and cycle through them to see if there's an option like just scan or similar. If it's not in there have a look through other entries in the display settings to see if you can find something similar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice fellas. I did try changing the adaptor setting to 59hz then back to 60hz. Just gone back to try it out and now I'm just getting "No Signal" :(. Might have to try and pick up a cheap Monitor with HDMI, that should solve the problem.

Yeah, it's full of old working monitors online, check ebay, Facebook marketplace, nextdoor etc

With it being a newish Dell Latitude 5420 Laptop could it be that the hdmi to vga converter needs some power to work?
I use a dell power bank with lots of different connections and a cable from that (bit bigger than HDMI) to a converter then into vga monitor and that works fine.
Confused dot com

Ahh good old VGA!

Unless you can tweak the position / size on the display itself - think you’re on a bit of a hiding really.

Could try another converter, but it’s probably more good money down.

Sponsored Links
I use a dell power bank with lots of different connections and a cable from that (bit bigger than HDMI) to a converter then into vga monitor and that works fine.
So it works with *another* VGA converter - but plugged into a non-HDMI (DisplayPort ?) port?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice but my needs are the opposite way around.
Laptop HDMI OUT into a VGA Monitor.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules