Sponsored Links

More Free Anti-Virus Software (ClamWin)

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
We all know about AVG, AntiVir and the odd other product but I haven't heard of ClamWin before, which is apparently an open source anti-virus program. I found it on my travels and have linked below:

http://www.clamwin.com

It's currently up to v0.91.2 and supports Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and 2003; no clear word on Vista yet. One huge downside is that there's no on-demand scanner, meaning you have to "manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware".. ugggh, worthless?

Looks very basic but I'll mention it anyway.

One huge downside is that there's no on-demand scanner, meaning you have to "manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware".. ugggh, worthless?

Looks very basic but I'll mention it anyway.

You mean there's no (on-access) real-time scanner. It is on-demand (manual) scan only.

I've heard of it, but never taken an interest.

I used to use a really good (no longer available) kaspersky based on-demand scanner as the signature files were more reliable and up to date than my free resident scanner.

Sponsored Links
It uses the ClamAv engine which alot of linux users use to secure windows partitions.

The main point of this is that it is open source, so its something Free software advocates can use.

We use ClamAV on our mail platform which seems to work very well.

i have used AVG for a long time and it really served me well. I suggest that for you to have the best free protection for your system, use AVG. It's free and very useful (and the best free anti-virus).

Sponsored Links
I've used AVG 'forever' but when I upgraded to v9 it all went 'pants' within seconds of the install finishing. Stuffed my system for some reason. Managed to uninstall it in safe mode & recover tho.

Used Avast for a while, but never entirely happy with it, so now trying the MS thingy.

Just to add, I have also gone with Microsoft Security Essentials on my backup PC and laptop. The first time you UPDATE it the process is far too slow but after that it runs fine and seems very light on system resources. It may not be the best but at least my old laptop does not feel as sluggish as it did under AVG9 anymore. Still ESet NOD32 for the main system though :) .

Several times I have had issues with AVG after a major software update; but so far doing an uninstall and clean install of the new version has worked perfectly.
The main resource hog is "Linkscanner", turn that off and everything speeds up.

And lets be honest, who actually NEEDS link scanner checking every link on a Google search page??

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules