Sponsored

Most unusual

burchill

I hope someone will be able to explain this (joke?) to me. I have just arrived in Dartmouth and as always signed up to the local wifi hotspot. The front screen for the hotspot suggested I visit http://forums.fireflyinternet.com and post the result here. I did this and received a message something like "sorry guest you are banned from this forum". The message was signed by someone called "Moron".

I'm assuming this a joke, but I don't get it.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I wouldn't know if it was a joke but if your browser was hijacked when you signed on on a wifi hotspot perhaps mention this to who ever runs the hotspot.

Aprat from that put the name of the ISP onto your never use list and when you look for a new ISP for any reason they wil be out of the selectioin since the forums are supposed to be help ones and that type of response sadly is not the type you expect without a proper explenation.

Bricktop

The Dartmouth WiFi Hotspot has an IP address which is its public IP address. This is the address everyone uses when they connect to the internet using this WiFi Hotspot.

It would appear as though someone else at some time has used the Dartmouth WiFi Hotspot and got themselves banned from the forums. Because a lot of forum banning systems are IP-based, anyone else who uses the Dartmouth WiFi Hotpsot and tried to post in the forum will receive this message because the forum system will think you are the same person as before because you have the same IP address.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hmm we only have a couple of IP blocks right now, one is for a Telewest user and the other belongs to somebody on Brightview, though these are periodically wiped. It would help if you had some screenshots. Out of interest, was this Hotspot owned by FireFly?

pessimist

Pro Member
I think I can shed some light on this. It was me that was banned from Fireflys' forum.

This dates back to last year when Firefly suspended my adsl connection because they claimed an invoice had not been paid. I came to my boat on Friday last and was presented with mail by the marina manager. Lo and behold - the missing invoice dated 30 August last year. The marina is not my address, and is not registered with Firefly. It is where the adsl connection which was supplied by Firefly terminates. I rent a small office space which houses a headless server allowing boat owners to monitor the boats with security cameras and provides a hotspot to visiting yachtsmen - I do not have snail mail forwarding facilities.

I pointed out on the Firefly forum that this was why their invoice was not paid until their accounts department sent me an email (bank transfer made within 24 hours of receipt of their email) and asked for a response. I got one - immediate ban from the forum and an accusation that I was a moron - see screenshot below.

I rather feel that this sums up Firefly's customer service attitude over the last year or more so thought I would invite hotspot users to share the experience. I apologise if I confused the OP.

Screenshot:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Ah it looks like I misinterpreted the original post and read "here" to mean "post on the ISPreview forum", which did have me a little confused after the Firefly site was mentioned. Well, there's your answer burchill, blame pessimist :) .

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It is very bad on the ISP to send to the wrong address and reflects badly on them as an ISP then the remarks on the forum ban makes things much worse.

One that would need carefull consideration if you wished to risk them getting something wrong then calling you the moron.. Sadly if they had done their job correctly and sent it to the correct address then this wouldn't have happened..

ukwoody

Kit, you should have looked into this more thoroughly before making those statements. This person has a history on the FF forums and eventually received fairly short thrift from both FF and several forum members.

After making various accusations about FF it turned out to be his router that was at fault. FF even sent him - to THAT ADDRESS at his request, a replacement router of their own to try out. It seems that several attempts were made by phone, email and letter but no responses were received from him so he was eventually cut off for non payment. Upon payment his service was restored and a MAC code issued. He continues to blame FF even though it was his own kit and they went far beyond the reasonable call of duty to help him out.

In fact he has been back on only in the last few days to spout off again.

woody

FireFly

ISP Rep
This dates back to last year when Firefly suspended my adsl connection because they claimed an invoice had not been paid. I came to my boat on Friday last and was presented with mail by the marina manager. Lo and behold - the missing invoice dated 30 August last year. The marina is not my address, and is not registered with Firefly. It is where the adsl connection which was supplied by Firefly terminates. I rent a small office space which houses a headless server allowing boat owners to monitor the boats with security cameras and provides a hotspot to visiting yachtsmen - I do not have snail mail forwarding facilities.

I pointed out on the Firefly forum that this was why their invoice was not paid until their accounts department sent me an email (bank transfer made within 24 hours of receipt of their email) and asked for a response. I got one - immediate ban from the forum and an accusation that I was a moron - see screenshot below.
Not again....
I am no longer prepared to discuss an issue that occurred last November.
Invoice raised, emails ignored, voicemails ignored, messages left with staff ignored = broadband service justifiably suspended.

It is very bad on the ISP to send to the wrong address and reflects badly on them as an ISP then the remarks on the forum ban makes things much worse.
We are not directing anyone anywhere Kits...

The ban in place includes the IP address from which the banned account has used several times. It would appear that someone else is sending people unwittingly to a site with a message designed for the account holder only - that's outwith our control.

For the avoidance of any confusion, the IP ban has been lifted.

We have banned 3 users from our forums in approx 7 years, this ban is wholly justified.

...if you wished to risk them getting something wrong then calling you the moron..
Shouldn't jumpt to as many conclusions there Kits...We got nothing wrong.

FireFly

ISP Rep
It would appear as though someone else at some time has used the Dartmouth WiFi Hotspot and got themselves banned from the forums. Because a lot of forum banning systems are IP-based, anyone else who uses the Dartmouth WiFi Hotpsot and tried to post in the forum will receive this message because the forum system will think you are the same person as before because you have the same IP address.
Apologies, you are indeed correct. As previously posted, "Pessimist" was banned for persistent abuse as was the IP address he always visited from.

I have now lifted the IP ban.

Apologies once again, we do not think you are morons ;)

Last edited:

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Woody first I am not into searching ISP forums for proof if a member here is posting correct or not I am not a firefly customer and do not have the time to visit every ISP forum infact I visit none these days I base my judgement on what is posted in our forums.

To ban an IP and call the person using it a moron is IMPO bad since IP numbers do change who uses them and it is possible the wrong person gets the message. To be able to lead by example and not stoop down to the lower level if you have a problem forum member is normally best policy.
Apologies Firefly but the post did sseem as if the connectionwas directing them to your forums and that has now been cleared by the post earlier.

FireFly

ISP Rep
Considering only 4 people from that IP seen the message (now removed) - storm filled teacup (again!) ? ?

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Considering only 4 people from that IP seen the message (now removed) - storm filled teacup (again!) ? ?
One was unhappy enough to post on our forums the others might have posted on other forums or if foriegn visitors put it down to our countries bad manners. you will never know for sure either way as without this post none of us would have known.

FireFly

ISP Rep
One was unhappy enough to post on our forums
Point of fact : The poster is in no way unhappy from the post, they simply asked a question - please do not put words in other's mouths.

Last edited:

pessimist

Pro Member
Kit, you should have looked into this more thoroughly before making those statements. This person has a history on the FF forums and eventually received fairly short thrift from both FF and several forum members.

After making various accusations about FF it turned out to be his router that was at fault. FF even sent him - to THAT ADDRESS at his request, a replacement router of their own to try out. It seems that several attempts were made by phone, email and letter but no responses were received from him so he was eventually cut off for non payment. Upon payment his service was restored and a MAC code issued. He continues to blame FF even though it was his own kit and they went far beyond the reasonable call of duty to help him out.

In fact he has been back on only in the last few days to spout off again.

woody
Ah - the march of the sycophants. Do try to get your facts straight before posting.

That router has never been proven to be at fault - in fact it is still in service on another site with another supplier.

We have never requested a router from Firefly - we are more than capable of sourcing our own. The BT engineer confirmed that the router in place was working. It was actually Danny's last attempt at at a fix for the problem caused by Fireflys' system changes (incidentally this meant a change in our "fixed ip" address with no warning - in fact we were not informed until after the changes were made) .

The router was not delivered to that address - it was delivered to our main office. We had to drive to the installation address with the router.

One attempt was made to bill us by letter - the letter that was delivered to the wrong address and, as I said in my earlier post finally received by us last Friday. Noone ever 'phoned to request payment. One email requesting payment was received. Once the email was received we contacted Martin in accounts and arranged an immediate bank transfer. Our ADSL was then cut off as Derek refused to accept that payment had been made - notwithstanding our posting a screenshot of the debit to our account.

Anything else I can help you with?

pessimist

Pro Member
Not again....
I am no longer prepared to discuss an issue that occurred last November.
Invoice raised
...and sent to the wrong address

emails ignored
...one email received and responded to immediately.

voicemails ignored
... wonder who you left them with. We don't have voicemail.

messages left with staff ignored
...you do, of course, have details. I rather doubt it.

broadband service justifiably suspended.
I don't think so. I rather think others may feel the same way.

Will Firefly ever accept that they sometimes get it wrong?

FireFly

ISP Rep
...and sent to the wrong address
Invoice sent to the address we had on file, the one where broadband was installed - not unusual.

...one email received and responded to immediately.
Invoice remained unpaid after several emails were sent.

... wonder who you left them with. We don't have voicemail.
Call on 2007-08-13 16:34:33 to contact landline held on file for the account, redirected to an Orange answerphone - message left and ignored.

...you do, of course, have details. I rather doubt it.
Message left with your colleague, Paul Collins, at 2007-08-14 17:05:39 as you were on holiday...on your boat !
Message left - ignored.

Last edited:

pessimist

Pro Member
I'm losing the will to live. I'll let others judge your service. Look to your reviews. I'm not the only unhappy (ex) punter.

You're aware that I used to rate the Firefly service - see the post two or three down from this.

I'm now happy with a new supplier (with high quality support 24/7). I'll leave it at that.

FireFly

ISP Rep
I'll let others judge your service. Look to your reviews. I'm not the only unhappy (ex) punter.
Every supplier has unhappy (ex)customers, that is why they are ex-customers.
We still maintain a very healthy, very satisfied and growing customer base.

I'm now happy with a new supplier (with high quality support 24/7). I'll leave it at that.
What is very disappointing is when we bust a gut trying to help people and have it slapped back in our faces for no apparent reason. This is one of those occasions.

Good luck to you.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2513)
  2. FTTP (2208)
  3. FTTC (1660)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1429)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1240)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1077)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1040)
  11. Fibre Optic (970)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (910)
  14. 4G (901)
  15. Virgin Media (859)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (581)
  19. Vodafone (520)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules