Sponsored Links

Move house but still pay

My sister was told yesterday she can move house but she will have to pay for both the old and new contract at the same time until she has paid off the old contract in full.

She's decided it is cheaper to just bin you and go elsewhere. Shame on you Zen for this shambolic practice. I might follow suit after hearing this as I will be in the same boat soon

You can't just allow a contract to move between premises and carry on can you.

I don't think it's the first time we've heard this complaint, about Zen struggling to offer a smooth service for home movers. The contract should be with a person, not the property, so the only extra cost might be if the new line needs an activation. It would be useful to know why Zen can't move people in a smoother way as the bigger ISPs seem able to do it.

I guess they don't have the beans behind them. The downfall of supporting a smaller company. They can happily just void any phone line contract or cost but the broadband has to be paid off it seems.

They told her a new line would be reduced to £70. they make it sound like they are doing a super duper reduction from the full price - but even AAISP do a line for £60. and then they whack you with a " we will drop your current contract down from £30 to £19.26 for it's remainder whilst you have to take another contract at the new address on top. (which is another 12 months)

So she is going to have to pay £66.25 a month to stay with Zen which is the £176 early termination fee on top of the new contract. I've advised her to just pay the £176 leave them and then proceed to tell everyone who asks her not to bother with Zen. It'll cost them a lot more than £176 as she works for a computer company and she will simply recommend someone else from now on.

I can see why people go to mass ISP's now - I mean my connection is unlikely to be no different with someone else than with Zen. I've never had to call them so I can't really comment on the support. I will look around for someone else too as I am out of contract and I don't like this slimy toad type tactics they are employing.

Sponsored Links
To be fair unless someone makes BT allow this for smaller ISPs then it is not going to happen, contract is tied to property and telephone lines. If the smaller ISPs allowed this then they would still be charged by BT until the contract is up so sooner or later all smaller ISPs would go bust then see where the no competition gets you all.

The bottom line is Openreach do not allow moving home on the same contract it has to be a cease and re provide, if openreach allowed just one home move per contract it would save a lot of hassle but sadly they hold the strings no ISP can cover the costs of the contracts if terminated early. The alternative would be higher monthly charges or less competition.

contract is tied to property and telephone lines.

Sorted. As it's a rented house she can just leave it behind and stop paying. If what you say is true there would be 0% chance any DCA action would be successfull.

Thanks for the advice I will pass it on

No AAuser27 they will send to debt collectors you are just looking for ways to not do the right thing..

Openreach supply the lines and connection linked to property, you cannot move from one property to another on the one contract. Cease and reprovide hence why the remaining months have to be paid to move over. The contract is in her name and this is where the debt collectors will go for payment.

If you are in rented property then do not sign up for long contracts there are still some connections that are monthly just they are capped not unlimited.

So if she moves without settling the account with Zen they will use debt collectors, once sent to debt collectors the cost goes up so always best to be honest and do the right thing.

Mark.J idea of contracts being linked to people and not properties might work with 3G 4G wireless but fixed lines have to be the group property address, phone line plus the person who is the bill payer.

To make this totally clear AAuser27 the contract we will call 1 is in your sisters name at this address with that telephone number, now she wants to move so contract 1 has to be ceased if it is early termination your sister has to pay as the contract 1 is linked to your sister and the property she is living in now. contract 2 will be your sister at her new address selective reading will not save you money if signing up to a contract READ it first.

Last edited:
No AAuser27 you are just looking for ways to not do the right thing..

Want to put your money where your mouth is? Fancy being sued for making such comments Florence? (I think that's your name anyway - can find out if not)

The money owing has been paid. So wind your neck in and stop posting Libellous comments which constitute Defamation of my character

And it was YOU who said a contract was tied to property and landline and NOT MarkJ. Hence the quote.

I know I will get banned for speaking out again a "super moderator" ( why they choose such people to represent them is beyond me) so it's all been noted so proof of such comments can be provided.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is another option, see if the new tenants are willing to take over the contract.

Tricky legally, but worth a punt.

I do know someone who managed this a few years ago, but I am not sure if he did it on a solidly legal basis, or just informally.

There is another option, see if the new tenants are willing to take over the contract.

I do know someone who managed this a few years ago, but I am not sure if he did it on a solidly legal basis, or just informally.

This is very tricky if the contract is in the old tenants name and the new tenants download copyright then the named person is the one in court.

MPO Honesty is always the best policy

I'm not sure how accurate this is but when I ordered the BT line I been told I have to pay the remaining line rental for the phone even if I move house. I ended up ordering with AAisp as they said they could do the whole thing. I dont think even large ISP will let you move if you ordered a new line with then with out paying the rest of the contact.

I agree they could just charge you the install cost and let you go.

My old house is due to be knocked down so whilst a good idea it's not viable in this case.

I ended up paying them £176 for the remainder of the contract I left behind and vowed never to use recommend or even saying their name again. They never mentioned that in the sales Hype!

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how accurate this is but when I ordered the BT line I been told I have to pay the remaining line rental for the phone even if I move house. I ended up ordering with AAisp as they said they could do the whole thing. I dont think even large ISP will let you move if you ordered a new line with then with out paying the rest of the contact.

I agree they could just charge you the install cost and let you go.

Plusnet did twice over 2 years when I was with them. In the end when I moved to the house I just left I had AA install a line at £60. Zen wanted me to pay £70 for a new line at this new house because someone had removed my access from the pole (no idea why) and this killed the line that was in there - so I didn't have a place. It's all a con if you ask me.

They said I wouldn't have to pay the £30 connection fee - by this time I was past listening to them. The option was pay £46,99 a this new address and then £19.86 on top for the 9 months I had left. Stupid option but there you go.

I decided as they were being arses not to stay with them. I was also getting sick of paying for a line I didn't use (AA gave me a £12 copper pair)

I decided (rather hesitantly) to go back to Virgin Media Business in prep for the 300mbps that is coming soon to business only. So far I can't complain and it's cheap enough £45 and I don't need a bloody phone line.

It's a shame as Zen were good - but when it came to it the one and only time I called them for anything they came across as arseholes :(

My old house is due to be knocked down so whilst a good idea it's not viable in this case.

I ended up paying them £176 for the remainder of the contract I left behind and vowed never to use recommend or even saying their name again. They never mentioned that in the sales Hype!

Have you told them you are being forced to move because the house is being knocked down?? They might take a softer line with you as you are not moving voluntarily.

It wouldn't make any difference to them I am sure but it's been paid now so I'd rather just forget about it and them and move on.

Although thanks I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules