Sponsored

Moved to leeds , went with Virgin for Cable/fiberoptic

Pillz

Hey all , practically all moved into my new house in Leeds now.

Was just wondering a few things considering im going fiberoptic with virgin.

When the virgin engineer comes out on Wednesday , how long exactly does it take for him to set up the internet connection? Theres 4 BT phone sockets in my house and ive never gone fiberoptic before.

Do i also have control over what socket is used? :S Im not sure if theirs any devices other than filters attached?

uno

ISP Rep
When the virgin engineer comes out on Wednesday , how long exactly does it take for him to set up the internet connection? Theres 4 BT phone sockets in my house and ive never gone fiberoptic before.
Virgin isn't FO, it is copper to the house. They'll run a feed from your DP to the house. This will go up the wall, which will have a white box installed on the inside.

You'll have a coax (like Sky or TV aerial cable but can be thicker) cable run from that to the modem.

Do i also have control over what socket is used? :S Im not sure if theirs any devices other than filters attached?
It does not use the phone sockets, unless of course, you've ordered a phone line. They'll generally rewire the internal sockets to their network, and remove them from the current master socket that they're in currently.

Matt

DTMark

ULTIMATE Member
I'd thought that VM weren't allowed/supposed to reuse the BT equipment (sockets) for their service. After all it's not as if they have a technology sharing agreement (ho ho)

However in practice, whenever I've had it put in, what tends to happen is that you end up with one BT socket and one VM socket, or the engineer does exactly what Matt says above, because he or she then finds that BT have done the same in reverse and used VM's socketry (no BT socket present, removed when decorating at some stage), so all the BT wiring running to "their" sockets gets ripped out and they reinstate their own socket. Shouldn't happen if the master has a BT stripe, they should put their own in.

As far as the customer is concerned, it's preferable that both sockets remain assuming there is a BT one.

Setup takes about 20 minutes depending on where you want the boxes/sockets to go, you point to where you want and they run all the cabling round the outside of the house and tack it to the exterior walls. In that respect, you do have control over which socket is used. The broadband connection is via a co-ax box, so if you don't have one of those, then it will "have to" go somewhere new.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2652)
  2. FTTP (2457)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1662)
  5. Politics (1541)
  6. Openreach (1511)
  7. Business (1325)
  8. FTTH (1231)
  9. Statistics (1153)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1128)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (973)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (972)
  14. Wireless Internet (971)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (649)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (600)
  20. 3G (438)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules