Sponsored Links

Moving FTTP from BT to Sky

KevTheCoops

Casual Member
Hello,

Finally decided to move my FTTP from BT to Sky but I’m now a little confused about the phone line, wondered if anyone else has done this and can advise please?

Rang Sky yesterday and arranged it all, they are taking over the FTTP on 7th October and my broadband and calls will be via fibre.

Had a text from BT this morning advising of £5.48 early termination fee as I’m leaving a few days before the end of the contract, that’s fine and expected and if I can be bothered to send details to Sky they’ll refund me that amount.

However I’ve now had an email from BT totally contradicting that, saying as I’m moving broadband to another supplier and breaking up my bundle that they are moving me to another calling plan and as a result there won’t be any charges for ending the contract.

I think the problem here is that at present my fibre only supplies the broadband, my phone line is still on the old copper line. Sky are taking over the fibre line for both broadband and phone and BT seem to think I want to keep the separate phone line with them, I just thought that Sky would take care of that for me.

Anyone had the same? I hoped for a smooth switch.

Thanks.

Ah sorry I perhaps posted rather hastily there, was just a tad confused and wondered if anyone could advise before I spent what I thought would be a LONG time on the phone to Sky and BT.

So the upshot is, I rang Sky, they confirmed what I was thinking, i.e. that they are only taking over the FTTP, as the copper line appears to be separate in BTs system that I'd need to call BT myself to get that ceased. Not really ideal, I thought the switching process would take care of it all for me.

Having then rang BT I explained it all over again and that I'd had the email stating my (copper) line is staying in place and that I needed that to cease as part of the process. The guy said they'd had a few similar calls but having checked the system he confirmed that the copper line will indeed automatically cease as part of the switch.

So I've got a text from BT stating I'll be charged £5.48 early termination, a contradictory email from BT stating there won't be any early termination fees and that my phone line is staying with them and then told verbally that the phone line is actually also ceasing. Can't say I'm totally confident that this will go smoothly.

Also to note that on that call with BT the guy offered to give me 74Mbps for £24.99 a month over 24 months still via FTTP, but as this doesn't beat what Sky have given me I declined. Sky have given me 75Mbps via FTTP for £22 a month over 18 months and that price includes the broadband boost. That price wasn't online, I was offered it on the phone yesterday.

Sponsored Links
BT still seem to be running their offer of 150Mbps fttp for £29.99, which may interest you. I'm currently on it, but signed up before the additional 3.9% yearly increase was tacked on. I think TalkTalk are similar in price (if available).
https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240
Or, just paste this in the address bar: bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

Double the speed for £8, but only good value if you have a need for the additional bandwidth. Then there's the broadband boost, but I'm not sure how useful it is with fttp connections compared to copper.

Regarding Sky's VoIP, you might want to see if this applies: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/isp-sky-broadband-uk-preps-firmware-to-fix-voip-timing-bug.html#:~:text=A%20recent%20update%20to%20Sky,we%20don't%20know%20when.

Good luck with the switch.

BT still seem to be running their offer of 150Mbps fttp for £29.99, which may interest you. I'm currently on it, but signed up before the additional 3.9% yearly increase was tacked on. I think TalkTalk are similar in price (if available).
https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240
Or, just paste this in the address bar: bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

Double the speed for £8, but only good value if you have a need for the additional bandwidth. Then there's the broadband boost, but I'm not sure how useful it is with fttp connections compared to copper.

Regarding Sky's VoIP, you might want to see if this applies: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/isp-sky-broadband-uk-preps-firmware-to-fix-voip-timing-bug.html#:~:text=A%20recent%20update%20to%20Sky,we%20don't%20know%20when.

Good luck with the switch.
Thanks for the reply and the information.

The offer I’ve taken from Sky is for 75Mbps which is more than enough for me and at £22 a month over 18 months including the “broadband boost” I’m very happy with. Was supposed to be £25 but the guy I spoke to applied a “manager’s discount” he called it to get it to £22. He then said if I dropped the call plan for inclusive calls he could instead give me the broadband boost for free instead so I went for that.

That then goes to the second point you mentioned about the problem with Sky VOIP - I read that article when it was first published here but yes I’d forgotten about it so thanks for the reminder. I never use a home phone now anyway so not a problem for me.

I’ve been paying £55.69 a month to BT for the FTTP so I’m very happy to get it down to £22 a month! When I moved here 18 months ago I could either get 5Mpbs FTTC which wasn’t fast enough for me or the much higher speeds on FTTP so I had to go with that and pay the premium.

Had yet another text from BT today contradicting their earlier text about early termination fee. Thanks for the good luck message on a smooth switch, I think I’m going to need it 😎

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules