Sponsored

Moving to NDO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

i ahve just spoken to aols manging director (didnt give up till i got him) about my speed and service. They will let me off my 12 month contract with 1mbit with them

I am planning to move to NDO and hopefully i should recieve better service from them

Few questions:

Now and again i might download say 4 or so gb a day (Unix and other varients) to play around with. Will i get blocked from service?

I could only manage 95KB/sec, i tired so many sites and speed test etc etc etc and 95 is what it can get up to no idea why it cant go over 95 but it just cant.

will i get my full speed from NDO? Maybe a NDO rep can confirm this for me

i know 95 = 120 isnt must but the point is i wanted 1mbit and got 750k

thanks

lighterboy

ULTIMATE Member
I use NDO and am happy - its a good choice :)

Sor far, Ive had it for about 6 months now and not encountered a single download limit (nor could I find one in the Terms and Conditions) so I can't see why 4gb in one day would be a problem in the slightest. No doubt an NDO rep will answer to confirm.

On a 1mb service you should get between 700 and 900kbps if my recollection of how the IP overheads work on ADSL; so your current 750kbps is a little bit slow. You should get the optimum speed for your line as there isnt any congestion issues at NDO, if your exchange is a bit busy it will slow things down a bit; as will if you are downloading something from a busy server as the server might not have the resources to service your download quickly enough.

Don't forget to visit the NDO forums too - www.ndousers.com lots of good guys over there to answer your questions too!

hi i have check my exchange and we have only 213 adsl lines installed and only 1 green light on out of 3 so that means we have more than enough to go around.

As for the servers they are 100mbit servers and i should easily reach my 120kb +- a few kb but with aol, should i say more?

garethh

Pencil said:
Hi Guys

i ahve just spoken to aols manging director (didnt give up till i got him)

Are you sure it was the managing director you were speaking to?

Karen Thomson is the current MD of AOL UK: Who's Who

That said, AOL do have lots of Directors, Presidents, Vice Presidents, Executive Vice Presidents and so on :D

Gareth

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Shame about AOL Pencil after all your patience. Whoever you spoke to at AOL, you got a result and that's what counts :)

Hope all goes well with the next isp :)

thanks m8

cheers for all your help and support through my short time with aol

pitty it didnt work out as i hoped

cheap = not good

Scotsman36

Pro Member
Actually your maximum data transfer rate is calculated by doing the following;

1 Megabit = 1024 Kilobits

8 bits = 1 Byte

1024/8 = 128 KiloBytes

So, 128 KBytes is your theoretical maximum for data transfer rate not 95 KB if you're connected at 1 Megabit.

95KB equates to 760 Kilobits which is actually quite low for your supposedly 1 Mb connection.

I would check to see that you're not using some sort of inferior quality ADSL filter but better to use one made by Fujitsu because it's much better at seperating high / low signal frequencies and so it will eliminate line noise for retaining a high speed connection. Also, do not connect your ADSL filter via a doubler to the phone point as that can possibly reduce your connection speed by creating noise on the line. Use only good quality ADSL MODEM cable of the likes made by Belkin and I would highly recommend the double-shielded silvery looking cable as it helps to prevent EMI/RFI noise possibly being picked up between the MODEM and the ADSL filter

Scotsman36

Pro Member
Correct that mistake;

1Mb = 1,000,000 bits = 1,000 Kbits

8 bits = 1 byte

1000/8 = 125 KBytes

95KB * 8 = 760 Kbits

Scotsman36

Pro Member
1) Unshielded MODEM cable

2) Poor ADSL filter

3) ADSL filter connected to an external phone doubler

4) Running MODEM cable close to power packs ie for a scanner, printer, et.

Scotsman36

Pro Member
What make of ADSL filter are you using, modem cable and are you using a phone doubler or a very extension cable ?

i aint using an extention cable just straight from filter to usb modem.

using excelsus filters, tried connection without the filters, still same speed.

MTU is 1458 :/

Scotsman36

Pro Member
Those are fairly old filters and technology has moved on a bit since then there is 2 types which I can highly recommend for you to try;

Fujitsi FDX100
http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/buy.html

ADSL Nation XF-1e Professional Quality Filter http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54

And I would highly recommend purchasing this Belkin cable

Double shielded 1.8m http://www.simply.co.uk/productinfo...D_INTERNET_MODEM_CABLE_1.8M_-_CLEAR/index.htm

Double shielded 4.5m http://www.simply.co.uk/productinfo...EED_INTERNET_MODEM_CABLE_4.5M-CLEAR/index.htm

Scotsman36

Pro Member
Another possibility that it is AOL themselves because they have set your access speed at no more than 760Kbits for 1Mbit connection ?

some other people on aol are getting over 115kb so i dont know why it could be me, on another note i know a user who gets 70kb off him 1mbit with aol

cant be the filter as i tried connecting without the filter and still only 95kb :/

could just be my line but dont see how, whould be nice if there was a pay-per-use adsl service to check it but suppose no such thing exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules