Sponsored Links

Moving VoIP provider to sipgate

Bigyinuk

Pro Member
Hi all.

I'm currently with a VoIP provider (Daisy/BT) and using the provided Cisco SPA112 ATA. The whole package including the ATA has been horribly unreliable (on ATA number 3 now) and I've had continual problems with the service so I'm going to switch to a Sipgate basic package and pay for the very occasional call I might need which will save me about 12ukp per month.

I've used Sipgate Basic before but with a VoIP handset. However the way we use the phone at home really needs a DECT handset and I'm intending to use my BT 4600 with Call Guardian (as the call screening is super-effective).

I've asked Sipgate tech support to recommend an ATA but they declined saying that they are all end of life and they don't recommend using an ATA although they do have configs for ATAs such as the Grandstream HT801 etc.

I thought I might take recommendations for an ATA from you folks before making a purchase.

Any ideas?

Tx

I use a Cisco SPA212 with Sipgate and no issues, the Cisco may not be the issue but Daisy, your own router or your ISP.

I've had so many issues. Cisco Intermittently de-registering itself and hanging, Office UC mobile app fails to respond (log out reset phone login fixes), 2 SPA112's died after a few weeks. Occasionally my phone refuses to make calls until I call in. One of the main problems is the VAR who supplies me the service cannot do any configuration of the ATA only put on pre-configured images and Daisy/BT very unresponsive to support calls logged by VAR, so long delays in getting fixes. Altogether a very unsatisfactory service. In the past, I've used both Sipgate and Vonage (with a Grandstream HT801) with no issues.

Sponsored Links
A Fritzbox 7530 router as supplied by Zen has voip and can use Dect phones.

How do I connect my DECT to my Fritz box?

1 Using the FRITZ!Box wizard to register a telephone

Click "Telephony Devices" in the "Telephony" menu. Click the "Configure New Device" button. Enable the option "Telephone (with or without answering machine)" and click "Next". Enable the option "Cordless (DECT) Telephone" and click "Next".

I'd highly recommend the Grandstream HT801 (single port) or HT802 (2 port version). Unlike the SPA112, its much newer with more frequent firmware updates which you can configure to update automatically in the background. I'm using the HT801 on Sipgate and its rock solid.

We have been using the Cisco SPA112 with sipgate basic since end of 2017, it is working very well hosting 2 lines one for a BT DECT phone and the other for a house alarm. The Cisco SPA112 is end of life, but the Cisco ATA191 is the new model and the replacement to consider.

I have a Cisco SPA112 from my current service and they don't want it back so I'll try that with Sipgate and see how it goes. I believe Sipgate have setup instructions for the SPA112 on their website. Otherwise I'll get a HT801 as they're only 35UKP and I know they work as I've used that ATA before without any problems.

Sponsored Links
A Fritzbox 7530 router as supplied by Zen has voip and can use Dect phones.
Also a big fan of sipgate and Fritzbox routers that support DECT.

I got rid of my BT landline about 10 years ago and ported my number over to sipgate, and haven't looked back. Can route and answer calls on my mobile with native Android sip calling as well, anywhere with a decent internet connection!

However, with Fritzbox, check that the handsets fully support it. I had some issues with Panasonic DECT handsets not supporting caller ID via DECT, but can plug it into the wired port (FON 1) and works fine. I can even use it over the existing phone network (just make sure it's disconnected from the main drop line at the master socket).

Sponsored Links
Just to let everyone here know that this project completed successfully. I'm now using the Cisco SPA112 from my previous service, thanks Philip.H for the instructions link. Also using Grandstream Wave on my mobile to catch calls when I'm not at home. Only cost was the £30 Sipgate porting fee.

Good to know, I think it was only £15 when I ported mine. One thing I forget to mention is that you should make sure your "connection" address is up to date with BT/OpenReach. You can check it with your operator as the emergency services address. Mine was registered to DP1 instead of the street number, and caused me issues while trying to get my number from physical line to Sipgate.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules