Sponsored

Namesco Overcharging

Raffles10

Namesco have overcharged me by £99.80.:mad:

I pay £24.95 per month for broadband max. They should have taken their usual payment on Friday, instead they took four, totalling £99.80.

On Monday I telephoned customer services and was told that it was not their fault and that my bank had made the error. They said I would get my money back the same day.

I telephoned my bank and was told that the system does not work as described by Namesco, the bank only issues payments that are requested by the billing company.

I telephoned Namesco customer services again and spoke to someone else, she admitted that it was their fault but because their office was flooded she couldn't say when I would get my money back. Later that afternoon I received a telephone call from Namesco saying that my money would be back in my account within the next three days.

All well and good.

Today, (Tuesday) they have taken another payment of £24.95. I have not yet received any refunds.

They have now taken a total of £124.75 in just two days.:eek:

I have of course contacted Namesco customer services again am awaiting a reply.:hrmph:

GJH

System errors happen. Abbey once took two mortgage payments out of my account on the same day.

Unless you've been in a coma since Friday you'd know certain areas of the UK have been paralysed since Friday due to flooding. Here's a pretty BBC map showing affected areas.

Namesco's offices have been closed since Friday evening. For avoidance of doubt, the office is in Worcester which has been hit quite hard.

There was a thread posted on ndousers.com (complete with pictures) explaining the problem.

It was even a featured news story here.

The office was operating on skeleton staff yesterday (Monday) working from remote locations. They specifically asked people not to call unless absolutely necessary as there were long wait times. I gather they got hammered by calls anyway.

The office re-opened earlier today.

Bear in mind that the payment taking system is automated whilst refunds are likely to be processed manually.

Whilst I am sure your situation is extremely irritating -- you probably need to cut them a little slack given the circumstances and give them a little longer to correct the problem. There's probably a bit of a backlog given the office has been shut for 3 days and whilst of course you're more important than anyone else, it may take a few days for this payment issue to be resolved.

I find it completely amazing how some people are completely oblivious to things like severe weather conditions. Whilst my office was flooding on Friday I had some plank on the 'phone who wouldn't just accept I could only take a name and number because I had to get back to trying to stop water getting into the premises!

newbuilder

Casual Member
Are your subs paid by Direct Debit?

If yes get your bank to claim them back.

Although they can't refund part payment, they can refund the full payment and Namesco can reclaim, all part of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

from http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Consumers/Direct+Debit/Benefits/

Guaranteed
You're protected by three important safeguards:

an immediate money back guarantee from your bank in the event of an error
advance notice if the date or amount changes
the right to cancel at any time.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Although they can't refund part payment, they can refund the full payment and Namesco can reclaim, all part of the Direct Debit Guarantee.
raffles10 doesn't need to claim a part refund - rather he needs to claim 4 full payments of £24.95.

Given Namesco's current sutuation in their Admin centre, claiming on the Direct Debit is probably the easiest (and quickest) option.

garethh

Given Namesco's current sutuation in their Admin centre,
There isn't a current situation. Customer services just answered after 5 rings with no auto-attendant.

The office has been fully operational since 12:30pm yesterday (Tuesday 24th July).

newbuilder

Casual Member
To clear what I meant about a part refund.

When using the Direct Debit indemnity scheme (i.e. asking your bank to get your money back) the following happens:

1) The bank give you all of the money taken out on the particular date you are questioning from the said complany. i.e. Lets say that you owe the company £10 and they take £40, the bank cannot give you £30. they have to give you back the full £40 and the company need to reclaim the money through the correct payment. This might be days later or a double payment the following month.

2) The customer is no longer out of pocket therefore the Direcet Debit Scheme has done its job. Now it is time for the bank to claim it back off of the company.

The idea of the Direct Debit Scheme is that the customer should not be out of pocket while the money is being reclaimed.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
There isn't a current situation. Customer services just answered after 5 rings with no auto-attendant.

The office has been fully operational since 12:30pm yesterday (Tuesday 24th July).
That's pretty impressive, given that according to the news the admin centre was flooded a few days ago!

garethh

Their office itself wasn't flooded.

The main issue was with staff not being able to get into the office due to the flooding elsewhere. They did have people on mobiles working from home on Monday...

The flood did knock out their plant room though which meant no phones, or juice or running water. No juice is a bit of a problem in an office :)

All customer facing servers are nice and high up on the 2nd and 3rd floors of telehouse so there was no disruption there.

NDO

ISP Rep
Hello just to reassure everyone the problem that Raffles 10 was experiencing was not with a direct debit, but with a continuouse authority payment by credit/debit card.

All the duplicate payments have been allocated and fully refunded.

If anyone else experiences the same problem with their 19th July subscription please log into your online control panel and send an email to customer service with the the description "Duplicate on the 19th July".

We would like to assure everyone that the programe we use has been re-scripted and this error should not occur gain.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
"not with a direct debit, but with a continuouse authority payment by credit/debit card."

Ah-ha!
Thanks - that explains why mine is fine, I guess. :)
By coincidence, my billing date is the 19th too. I checked my bank statement online, of course, and found that all was well - but mine's by direct debit.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2652)
  2. FTTP (2458)
  3. FTTC (1722)
  4. Building Digital UK (1662)
  5. Politics (1541)
  6. Openreach (1511)
  7. Business (1325)
  8. FTTH (1232)
  9. Statistics (1154)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1128)
  11. Fibre Optic (1020)
  12. 4G (973)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (972)
  14. Wireless Internet (972)
  15. Virgin Media (935)
  16. EE (649)
  17. Sky Broadband (639)
  18. TalkTalk (618)
  19. Vodafone (600)
  20. 3G (438)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules