Sponsored

NDO Are Dead Boring

Rodders

Casual Member
Since everyone else seems to be putting their two penn'orth in, I felt it was about time that I contributed my views on NDO - whom I've been with, in one form or another, since 1998. Whilst for a long time I used just a dial-up to pick up my email and maintain my website (which they continue to host for free), the last couple of years have also seen them provide me with an ADSL connection.

In the past, I've also had NTL cable BB, plus a brief outing with AOL until I regained my sanity. Dial-up services from at least half-a-dozen other ISPs have also served to broaden my experience while lightening my wallet. However, I use NDO exclusively these days.

My complaint is that in all the years I've used them, nothing ever happens. That little light is always on; I fire up my browser to find an instant and quick web connection; my website's invariably available and my email's always there - exactly as usual.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that any service should be allowed to be quite so boring and predictable as NDO's.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I agree - I've been with them for about a year, and have endured similar levels of boredom - at the moment their prices make it pretty expensive boredom though.

Rodders

Casual Member
akbray said:
I agree - I've been with them for about a year, and have endured similar levels of boredom - at the moment their prices make it pretty expensive boredom though.
A bit pricey? Sure, but as we all know, that situation is about to change for the better. At the moment it's a bit like the difference between say a Laguna and a Trabant - they both do roughly the same job, but one costs more than the other. Which one you pick largely depends on the level of quality you want.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
To an extent I agree with you, but there are plenty of decent quality ISPs out there who are cheaper than NDO.

I look forward to seeing their new pricing structure, hopefully in the near future, as my first year is up and I want to pay less - hopefully with NDO.

rollinstone

ULTIMATE Member
Rodders said:
Since everyone else seems to be putting their two penn'orth in, I felt it was about time that I contributed my views on NDO - whom I've been with, in one form or another, since 1998. Whilst for a long time I used just a dial-up to pick up my email and maintain my website (which they continue to host for free), the last couple of years have also seen them provide me with an ADSL connection.

In the past, I've also had NTL cable BB, plus a brief outing with AOL until I regained my sanity. Dial-up services from at least half-a-dozen other ISPs have also served to broaden my experience while lightening my wallet. However, I use NDO exclusively these days.

My complaint is that in all the years I've used them, nothing ever happens. That little light is always on; I fire up my browser to find an instant and quick web connection; my website's invariably available and my email's always there - exactly as usual.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that any service should be allowed to be quite so boring and predictable as NDO's.

What a nice way to get bored. ;)

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
I suppose that the NDO price isn't so bad if you get the level of service you are describing.

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
Yes maybe at present NDO prices might appear to be out of proportion to other ISP`s .But---- People seem to overlook the fact that providing 24/7 technical cover has to be paid for. Not many people nowadays are prepared to work unsocial hours for nothing . In all probability NDO could cut their costs to the bone-- do away with the personal touch-- make use of an eastern continental call centre--and offer the cheapest terms in the country.--Then like some other ISP`s they would appear weekly in the complaints column of ISPR .

No thank you . I would rather pay that bit extra and continue to get the service I can get now, and carry on being bored. (am I tempting fate here )
miffie

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I'm just waiting to see what the new pricing is.

NDO (or any other ISP) should be able to minimise the cost of 24/7 support by providing a reliable service - but since 24/7 support is not a priority for me (working hours support is fine as long as it is good support), if NDO use that as an excuse to be uncompetitive, then I shall leave.

Since I'm never likely to be a particularly heavy user (therefore unlikely to breach any reasonable caps) I have several options if needs be. If, however, NDO's new pricing is good enough, then I'm going nowhere.

Steeley

well I've been with NDO for over a year now and all I can say is I find them to be an excellent ISP. Their service is second to none. I'm looking forward to seeing their new packages, but in all honesty I'm not moving.

Daddycool

You can truly only tell the quality of service when something goes wrong. Up until this week I'd been relatively happy with NDO (even paying more than the market rate) but a problem occured over the weekend and they should seriously consider renaming it the "lack of support" desk.
Broadband down from Sunday to Wednesday and a completely useless bunch manning the phones. So unhappy I'll now be migrating. I was happy to pay the extra - but no more :mad:

garethh

Daddy,

If you feel support has not been up to scratch, contact Chirag Patel -- NDO's Customer Service Manager.

Might be worth CC'ing one of the other directors into the email just in case he's out of the office or something :)

That said, they'll probably PM you in the morning once they've seen your (two) messages here.

Perhaps whatever the fault with your broadband was in BT's hands or something (not that that is an excuse for lack of support from the support desk)?

Welshman

Pro Member
Dead boring...

... is absolutely right in my experience. I have been an NDO user for 7 or 8 years now and converted to broadband on 3/12/2003.

Since that time the connection has never fallen over to the best of my knowledge although the odd modem reboot has been necessary about once every 4 weeks or so. I have had three minor email glitches which were resolved within hours in each case. I have had 2 queries about payments, both of which were sorted promptly.

The management team publicise their email addresses and actually respond if you PM them.

Only two excitements:-

1. There was a brief period in early 2004 when installation of a second broadband pipe by BT was delayed and contention reared its ugly head. To their credit NDO publicised the position on their website to explain the problem and even had a network usage monitor available to show the pressure on the system. The problem was fixed when the pipe went live and has not recurred - speeds remain comparable with the best of the competition.

2. We await their repricing announcement on 1/7/05 by which time their new pipe will be live. Looking a mite expensive at the moment but reliability is outstanding.

A certain amount of heat and not much light has been generated by some complaints - posted elsewhere here and on NDO's own forum - about the FUP which was introduced in September 2004 but is not ruthlessly enforced.

Part of the problem is that NO-ONE ever reads the small print before they sign up. If they did so, they would not get so angry when the strict terms of their contract especially about periods of notice and methods of giving notice are enforced.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3674)
  2. BT (3045)
  3. Politics (1976)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1719)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1503)
  9. Statistics (1431)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1296)
  12. Virgin Media (1198)
  13. Fibre Optic (1186)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1168)
  16. Vodafone (860)
  17. EE (846)
  18. 5G (794)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules