Sponsored

NDO : Can I have the other dialup numbers plz?

edger

Pro Member
I rang your support to get em but he only seemed to know of the 999 one. I like to experement with the other numbers see as often the equpment seems to be geographically closer which gives me a better connection.

edger

Pro Member
Ta, i got it. Dont seem to work atm but I think its cos its a 1696 whatever number, got a feeling I'm already registered on one of them, from my old clara weekend days. 1860 or something - dunno. Is it Colt / WorldCom?

NDO

ISP Rep
BT have a tendency to do some funny things with Network routing numbers at some exchanges... Its a quirk of the BT network.

To use the number - enter it entirely into the number box and leave the area box in the dial-up network settings blank. The number should work then.

If it doesn't please call it from a normal telephone handset and let us know what the BT recorded message is (send it via email to us at: support@ndo.com) so we can get the routing corrected for the number.

The numer should work for aproximately 96% of the Uk mainland and we are worknig to correct any areas missed.

Thanks and best wishes,
Doug @ NDO

edger

Pro Member
Gave it a quick whirl with the phone, BT Lady says
"This Phone number is temproarily out of service - please try again later". been like that for week tho

edger

Pro Member
NDO said:
Thanks for letting us know - can you please confirm that you are in Gloucester (01452). So we know which exchange may have a fault.

Many thanks
NDO
yep tbh this exchange is a backwater I'm not suprised. Its the Twigworth exchang, just outside Gloucester. This exchange is not, and nor is ever likely to become adsl enabled due to the small quantity of homes based on it. However, I am rouhgly an equal distance from the Twigworth exchange and the center of Gloucester (a city with many thousands of people etc). Would it be possible to move exchange? I am 100% sure that the exchange in Gloucester would be adsl enabled. I estimate I am rouhgly 5km from the Twigworth exchange, and 5km from where I anticipate the Gloucester exchange to be. Sorry to heap all my problems onto you NDO but I can not find any one at BT who knows what im talking about hehe. You got any idea if this could happen? If i could just get on the gloucester exchange adsl coukd be mine \o/

edger

Pro Member
read ISDN chronicles, see how someone got there exchange changed to an ISDN enabled one!

NDO

ISP Rep
to edger
Would it be possible to move exchange? I am 100% sure that the exchange in Gloucester would be adsl enabled....
Okay, we do not work for BT; nor do we have access to how everything works internally there. However the following reply is based on our knowledge of how the UK telephone network was built. Its also quite a long reply - sorry.

When the network was built BT placed thousands of little exchanges all around the country; each exchange would serve a few hundred houses and then all little exchanges would then be connected to larger regional exchanges... This is why phone numbers seem to bare little resemblance to their neighbouring ones.

The first 4 digits of the number define the main regional town. With 01452 for example - ignore the 0 and the 1 (both later additions) the 4 stands for G the 5 stands for L and the number 2 is due to this being the second area allocated 45 - giving you 452.01451 is also a Gloucester area code.

When the network was built vast bundles of copper pairs were laid; either in the roads (as in most of South East England) or on telegraph poles and all the houses in the areas connect to these bundles.

As new houses are build or new lines are requested then BT goes and finds an unused copper pair from the local exchange bundle and connects the house/2nd line to this pair.

Historically BT used to also split the pair running to a property into two lines (but using multiplexers to change the signal frequency) however this is nolonger used as those frequencies are now used for ADSL.

So, why is this all relevant to your question - well...

To move exchange is very unlikely BT probably will not action your request. However, if your neighbours are connected to a different exchange - this can often happen where places are between exchanges then - ordering a second line might be an option. If BT have run out or are running out of spair pairs on one exchange's bundle and locally they have a different exchanges bundle with spare pairs - your second line may well be connected to the other exchange.

Also what has happened in the past is due to cost cutting BT have closed down many smaller regional exchanges are re-routed all the copper pairs to the bigger exchanges near by - so again you may change exchange this way. Although Bt nolonger seem to be following this policy of cost saving. You could camapign to have your local exchange clsoed down - but I doubt you would get much support :)

So - in answer its not in theory impossible to move exchange, it is very unlikely.

hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,
NDO

Last edited:

NDO

ISP Rep
What is it suddenly with everyone being cheeky :)

Yesterday Bartman and now this... tsk tsk... :D

Seriously however; we know about lots of rural campaigns and are working on ways to help these in ways we practically can...

There are also other frustrations regarding availability of ADSL - we had one person yesterday who past all the initial line tests but when it came down to the final switch to ADSL it turned out they were 10 metres too far to have ADSL... hoohumm...

One day a full Broadband Britain will happen...

edger

Pro Member
yeah, fair enough thats what I anticipated. Thx for ur help though. Guess ill just have to move house :) right next door to an SDSL enabled exchange lol. oh let me guess, then there excuse will be - "your too close" lol

edger

Pro Member
sorry, our engineers cant operate in temperatures above 6 degrees or below 5.5 degrees, please try again.

CRONIK

ULTIMATE Member
EDGER:

If the theory of your exchange being to full then having to move new connections on the bigger ADSL exchange, then maybe you should think about cancelling BT, keep your ears open for any new neighbours moving in the area, let BT activate there l/line (this then takes up your space which you had in the LITTLE exchange) you then call BT back up saying I want to connect back now, so they run out of room on the old exchange the BINGO you get put onto the BIG ADSL excahnge!!! :D :D :D

Well you never know! lol:laugh:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules