Sponsored Links

need help file/folder syncing on a server

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
Basically lve finally got my onw dedicated Plex server set up so l can watch my owned media wherever l am which me and family are sharing.

however ld like it set so l can sync items automatically between folders, for example say l upload a certain episode l own to one folder ld like that file to be copied to the TV folder within plex, that said lm not exactly looking to sync both folders content, more like copy the content of the upload folder to the target folder in a somewhat semi automated way if that makes sense. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I cant help; but let us know how you get on with Plex, I gave up after it refused to stream 30-40% of my video files; including some with identical codecs to files it WOULD stream.

not had any issues for months to be honest, up till a couple of days back l had been using plex on my laptop to stream to my TV via Roku locally with no issue. but l was bothered by the fact that it still required me to have my laptop turned on, so l upgraded my service on a shared server l was renting and upgraded to a slightly better offer which means l now have a dedicated server.

granted its hardware isnt out of this world but so far its gave me no issue. but by what it sounds like you may have had transcoding issues, its quite CPU intensive, and lm told its not overly keen on subtitles either (which is somewhat annoying in the respects that most of my stuff has subs) but for what lm getting and the amount of space lm getting a good deal.

as for my original post, l guess it would be more accurate to say l need something that will copy data l put in specific directories into other specific folders.. so not so much syncing folders, just copying whats in one to another so l can backup the main folder but queued data for me to watch on Plex stays until lm done with it.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the issue was, my PC cpu is a plenty powerful enough hexacore, and even if I transcoded the errant files into a different format, Plex still wouldnt stream them; even though in many cases, the files it would stream and the files it wouldnt stream were created at the same time, using the same encoder and encoder settings.

well while l cant say with certainty it could have been down to the device you wanted to watch on, transcoding only really happens when the content you want to watch isnt compatible with the device you wanted to watch on (a mobile phone for instance) as the codecs also need to be available for decoding on the device you wish to watch on, and l also hear sometimes its not exactly that great handling subtitles and tries to push it through transcoding again when they are present.

thats all l can come up with as a basic explanation of possibilities based upon both advice lve received and what lve gleened from forum posts lve read over at the Plex forums. lve not had any issues really apart from the base setup server side and that was down to my own mistake of not checking my firewall settings when l wanted to connect to the VNC :p

The issue had me stumped, it was to play on a pair of 49" LG TVs; I could load the files into a usb drive and play them on the TVs with no issues, but Plex wouldnt stream them.

I must admit, I never tried streaming to another PC

well if you ever try it again, lemme know. maybe we can come up with some sort of solution with two heads rather than one ;)

Sponsored Links
Basically lve finally got my onw dedicated Plex server set up so l can watch my owned media wherever l am which me and family are sharing.

however ld like it set so l can sync items automatically between folders, for example say l upload a certain episode l own to one folder ld like that file to be copied to the TV folder within plex, that said lm not exactly looking to sync both folders content, more like copy the content of the upload folder to the target folder in a somewhat semi automated way if that makes sense. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a scheduled batch file that runs every few minutes would do the trick here?

lve ended up doing it via VNC, its not ideal, but its more GUI based so l can copy and paste, while l am still interested in automation, writing batch files has never been more forte.

You might want to have a look ar Resilio Sync. It's a commercial product, but there is a feature-limited free version that may do just enough for you. I've also tried Syncthing in the past, but it's much more CPU intensive. As for Plex, I used to run it loads a few years back, but as they've commercialized it, they've actually cut back on functionality. As a result, I tend to run OpenDLNA on the server and rely on VLC, MediaMonkey, and device clients (for TVs, etc). A note of caution though, if you run Resilio Sync on an SBC it's much easier to set up if the OS is 32 bit (using 32bit OpenMediaVault here).

l ended up switching service as the company l was with started having issues (their website went down on the 6th and hasnt come back) it was kinda annoying after spending all that time working on the server, switched over to another which offered scripts which do exactly what l wanted them to do.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I cant help; but let us know how you get on with Plex, I gave up after it refused to stream 30-40% of my video files; including some with identical codecs to files it WOULD stream.

I've had this issue on Plex too, and find that an easy fix is to create a Plex optimised version of the file, by clicking on the three dots on the bottom right of the cover artwork and selecting "Optimise":

I've had this issue on Plex too, and find that an easy fix is to create a Plex optimised version of the file, by clicking on the three dots on the bottom right of the cover artwork and selecting "Optimise":
View attachment 123
Thanks, I will give that a try next time I install it; although I dont remember seeing that option - perhaps it wasnt on the admittedly much older version I was using (3-4 years ago).

that should work, but the idea is to do it ahead of time on lower spec systems prior to watching, it will still take some time but should do the job.

that said most devices play many of the common formats natively these days, not to mention l try to make sure all my content is SD which generally plays on all my devices, the moment you go past 720p is when l start running into transcoding, however my current service/devices seems to handle things very well.

I use Plex and have had very few issues. My pc is an older generation I5. At home most stuff is direct streaming but others have used remote, transcoded streaming without issue.

Dirsyncpro is free and I have used in the past for other stuff. Not used with Plex media but can't see why it would not work.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules