Sponsored

Need to change from Sipgate for cheaper int'l calls - recommendations?

baby_frogmella

Top Member
I've been with Sipgate Basic for a few years and whilst their UK PAYG rates aren't too bad, their overseas rates are quite high (compared to other providers) especially to 'exotic' destinations such as Azerbaijan and UAE where family members make frequent calls to (mobiles). Whatsapp isn't always possible which I always recommend to try first.

Anyway on the lookout for a new VOIP provider, and ideally one where I can port my Sipgate number over to. Any recommendations? localphone.com looks very attractive but when i emailed them they didn't bother replying and their UK support number gives a dead tone!

Cheers

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
High call costs probably down to negotiated wholesale call charges / calls volumes. Might be a tough call to find a UK/continental based VOiP provider with competitive call costs to (relatively speaking) obscure locations and/or those with high wholesale domestic charges.

Nothing stopping you from having a small 'basket' or selection of VoIp providers, choose which based on the call routing.

Are there any providers located in on near those specific geographies that you could subscribe too perhaps?

Essex_Man

Casual Member
I am using freevoipdeal (www.freevoipdeal.com) for nine years now. They offer outbound calls only, but you can set it up to send your number as CLI, so people can call you back via your Sipgate number. So, you stay with Sipgate for incoming, 0800 and emergency calls and make you outgoing calls to expensive destinations with an alternative provider. No need to port numbers etc.

Freevoipdeal is run by Dellmont (based in Luxembourg, SIP Servers in mainland Europe). There are about 60-80 different "labels", with slightly different pricing so other labels may be cheaper for your destinations. They are PAYG, so you are not tied into a contract and the credit does not expire either.

There are a few price comparison websites like http://voip-comparison.com or http://progx.ch/PROGX_WEB/UK/comparator.awp which can help you find the cheapest. Best to double-check the prices on the provider website, as the price comparison sites are not always up to date.

You can get calls to UAE (landline and mobile) for 9p/min (supervoip.com). For Azerbaijan, it seems you are better off with voipsmash.com (landline 12.4p mobile 17.7p per min).

You can also save a lot on other destinations (including UK).

I am using a Fritzbox 7590 (had a 7270 before). If all your calls are on VoIP, you could use a 7390 instead. You can set up several (I believe up to 20) SIP accounts and then configure dialling rules to use the cheapest provider for each destination country. On top of that, you can register up to six DECT phones, even allowing several phone calls in parallel.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £20.00
    Speed 54Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4111)
  2. BT (3150)
  3. Politics (2117)
  4. Building Digital UK (2026)
  5. Openreach (1969)
  6. FTTC (1922)
  7. Business (1831)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1605)
  9. Statistics (1509)
  10. 4G (1378)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Wireless Internet (1233)
  15. Fibre Optic (1233)
  16. Vodafone (926)
  17. EE (905)
  18. 5G (898)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules