Sponsored Links

Netflix good, Amazon and BBC iPlayer cause 3 to crash?

Mikeyg40

Hello all,

Since the community helped me greatly a couple of years ago, all has been well with my Three broadband. However I have recently been experiencing internet drop outs/ crashes but only when watching Amazon Prime videos and/ or the BBC iPlayer. Bizarre!

Last Saturday whilst watching the iPlayer I had to reboot my old B535 3 times during one hour long episode. ALL other internet activity seems absolutely fine, including Netflix and Sky on demand.

Sadly, whilst watching the Handmaids Tale on her tablet, the connection dropped earlier, leading to threats of bodily harm and abuse that would make a Navi blush!

An hour on the phone to Three's technical support last week proved fruitless.

It has now happened on 2 Televisions (1-wireless, 1-ethernet connected) and now a tablet. I haven't changed any settings nor hardware and network diagnostics on the pc and Huawei Link app indicate the problem is at Three's end.

Has anyone else had similar problems or have any thoughts as to what might be the cause?

Try changing APN, three has 2 and one has a single IP assigned, 2nd has a shared one assigned. The single IP stays fixed for longer and the change to the IP address may be losing the stream.

Using the 3internet APN the IP address doesn't change except when the connection drops and re-establishes.

In any case if Netflix or Amazon is unhappy with the address changing on one of the other APNs then I can't see why that would crash the router.

Does your link re-establish if you just reset the LTE interface on the router? If it won't work until power cycled then that sounds like a router fault.

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

Since the community helped me greatly a couple of years ago, all has been well with my Three broadband. However I have recently been experiencing internet drop outs/ crashes but only when watching Amazon Prime videos and/ or the BBC iPlayer. Bizarre!

Last Saturday whilst watching the iPlayer I had to reboot my old B535 3 times during one hour long episode. ALL other internet activity seems absolutely fine, including Netflix and Sky on demand.

Sadly, whilst watching the Handmaids Tale on her tablet, the connection dropped earlier, leading to threats of bodily harm and abuse that would make a Navi blush!

An hour on the phone to Three's technical support last week proved fruitless.

It has now happened on 2 Televisions (1-wireless, 1-ethernet connected) and now a tablet. I haven't changed any settings nor hardware and network diagnostics on the pc and Huawei Link app indicate the problem is at Three's end.

Has anyone else had similar problems or have any thoughts as to what might be the cause?
You need to set up a new APN, use 3internet and scroll down to set to ipv4 only, as ipv6 causes issues across the streaming and other devices.

Thanks for the advice,
The APN is set to 3internet but I don't have the option to change between ipv4 or ipv6.

You can access this via the console. (On your pc) access your router's admin pages, go to 'Network Settings'; 'Mobile Network - internet settings' and then '+' for add APN.

Then hit F12 (to access elements of the webpage) and open the console tab (should be the tab next to 'Elements') and type in:

$('#ip_type').show();

This should bring up the option (hidden by Three) to change IPV settings. Change it then save it - and you should be good to go with 'IPV4 only'.

That oriodec, is brilliant!
I've created a new APN using ipv4 only so now only remains to watch the iPlayer and see if it crashes!

Sponsored Links
Further too.... my internet speeds have been fairly poor this morning so I went back into the router settings and using the code line above I discovered that the original default APN is also set to ipv4 only, so that couldn't have been the cause of the original problem?

Aside from the usual problems with Three (and over-loaded backhaul etc.), I had a B535 on Three which served me very well for a few years until I experienced similar issues. tried a number of things - the IPV4 issue as above and also changing the DNS settings - to avoid those used by the ISP.
Worth a try (but again the setting is hidden in Three provided B535s).

Go to DHCP settings on the router web-page (chrome) (Advanced - Router -DHCP) - F12 again, consoles tab and type:

$('#dhcp_dns').show();

Click the check box next to “Set up the DNS server manually”.
Enter an IP address of a DNS server in the field “Primary DNS server”. Not necessary to enter a secondary IP address, but some provide a secondary.
I used Cloudflare, at the time - others are available, and also worth a try.

Primary server: 1.1.1.1
Secondary server: 1.0.0.1

Save the settings. Reboot router.

In the end, I got a new router (but still had to change the IPV4 settings and DNS) to avoid the same problems (eventually I changed provider as I realised the main issues were on that side - 3 network locally had reached a 'tipping point'). I still have a Three router (ZTE MF286D - £14pcm) as a backup but to be fair it falls over when trying to stream anything challenging.

Sponsored Links
Aside from the usual problems with Three (and over-loaded backhaul etc.), I had a B535 on Three which served me very well for a few years until I experienced similar issues. tried a number of things - the IPV4 issue as above and also changing the DNS settings - to avoid those used by the ISP.
Worth a try (but again the setting is hidden in Three provided B535s).

Go to DHCP settings on the router web-page (chrome) (Advanced - Router -DHCP) - F12 again, consoles tab and type:

$('#dhcp_dns').show();

Click the check box next to “Set up the DNS server manually”.
Enter an IP address of a DNS server in the field “Primary DNS server”. Not necessary to enter a secondary IP address, but some provide a secondary.
I used Cloudflare, at the time - others are available, and also worth a try.

Primary server: 1.1.1.1
Secondary server: 1.0.0.1

Save the settings. Reboot router.

In the end, I got a new router (but still had to change the IPV4 settings and DNS) to avoid the same problems (eventually I changed provider as I realised the main issues were on that side - 3 network locally had reached a 'tipping point'). I still have a Three router (ZTE MF286D - £14pcm) as a backup but to be fair it falls over when trying to stream anything challenging.
Thank you oriodec.

I had a long chat conversation with Three at lunchtime asking about cancellation etc, the upshot being that they are sending me a new 4g+hub with a bonus that the new 2 year contract is £17 (£4 per month less than currently).
The new router will arrive tomorrow and I shall have wall to wall Amazon Prime for a week to test it!
Fingers crossed but in the meantime sincere thanks to you and the others who have contributed suggestions. Thank you all

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules