Sponsored Links

Network capacity data

networkguy

Given the thinkbroadband/pointtopic datasets regarding network topology laydown, I'm wondering if there is any opensource or paid-for data that provides an overview of network capacity, quality of service for the various ISPs?

There isn't, no. The capacity is only known to the ISPs, the quality of service, I presume you mean what customers are getting on various ISPs, is basically the same as the speeds customers are able to achieve.

The database you want doesn't exist and, in the case of network capacity, can't. Quality of service would need automated testing and reporting to public servers which doesn't happen right now.

Also, there are hopefully multiple paths your data could take through an ISPs network and their peerings to other networks and destinations.

Any path your data might take to a specific destination today might not be the same path with the same capacity tomorrow, due to maintenance or failures or routing updates.

Just in the same way if you needed to get from Birmingham to London in a vehicle there are multiple roads of varying capacity and maintenance or failure of a specific road may encourage or force you to use a resilient path.

Sponsored Links
What about visibility of ISPs serving buildings?

They aren't a big secret but won't tell you much. If you're using a big provider your data is going nowhere near most of the locations they've equipment, if you're using a smaller provider it'll be a very few places they rent space alongside many other companies almost entirely in and around London.

There isn't, no. The capacity is only known to the ISPs, the quality of service, I presume you mean what customers are getting on various ISPs, is basically the same as the speeds customers are able to achieve.

The database you want doesn't exist and, in the case of network capacity, can't. Quality of service would need automated testing and reporting to public servers which doesn't happen right now.
wouldnt samknows/vm link kinda work with this? (not public information though, but surely the information is there?) o.0 I used to have a samknows box years ago, but it seems built into hubs.

What about visibility of ISPs serving buildings?
you can use https://bidb.uk/ to search a postcode and see what covers it.

Sponsored Links
I did suggest to TBB they make their ping graphs public (I guess with an option for users to keep their own private), but they have made a decision to not do this.

The problem with speedtest data and ping graphs is of course they will be impacted by what the account holder is doing on the connection. There is graphs I have seen e.g. that look like potential network quality problems, but then the owner reveals they keep their connection busy during that period, so probably just local congestion on that connection.

Samknows have a massive project of which results are partially shared with Ofcom, really good what they do on that, but that can also be impacted by what the user is doing. If I remember correctly they do tell the consumer to put all their equipment behind the samknows device, and tests are supposed to only run when the connection is detected at idle. So an effort is made to avoid local interference on that data.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3491)
  3. Politics (2499)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1943)
  9. Statistics (1766)
  10. 4G (1641)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1439)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1217)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1112)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules