Sponsored

New 12-month contract

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Called AOL the other day to cancel and they offered me:

1) Reduction in price from £9.99 to £6.99
2) The fastest possible speed - up to 8mb - my line will take. BT's checker have me on half a meg (I was on 1mb) and now I'm up to 2.1mb :)
3) Free talk unlimited phone package
4) A speedtouch router

As I'm not as bothered about the net as I was, I took the plunge and signed up for 12mth. I cant see how AOL will make any money from me :D

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
£6.99! That has to be approaching the wholesale rental cost for even an unbundled line. Nice deal.

tf82

I wonder if its worth me calling them. They just sent me an e-mail saying that, because of where I live, they can no longer offer my 2-meg service for £9.99 a month. From this July, they're ramping up the cost to £17.99/mo. Trouble is I'm planning on moving in a few months, so don't want to get tied-in for another 12 months if I negotiate a better price, but an 80% increase is a bit annoying.

It seems if your not unbundled these days, you're royally stuffed.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice this thread was so old.

Markdvdman

Casual Member
I also stayed with AOL for £6.99 a month in Merthyr.

12 month contract, a D-Link router, and aol 24/7 talk and 'unlimited' internet. I also got 2 months free - so beat that!!!

Will I stay after the 12 months? Maybe or I will go with Sky Max - we shall see!

druid2uk

Top Member
I wonder if its worth me calling them. They just sent me an e-mail saying that, because of where I live, they can no longer offer my 2-meg service for £9.99 a month. From this July, they're ramping up the cost to £17.99/mo. Trouble is I'm planning on moving in a few months, so don't want to get tied-in for another 12 months if I negotiate a better price, but an 80% increase is a bit annoying.

It seems if your not unbundled these days, you're royally stuffed.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice this thread was so old.
I am in the same position, was on £9.99 no LLU so it's gone up to £17.99, the max speed I get is 2.90Mb/s. I have looked around but TBH don't see any thing better ATM. :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I am in the same position, was on £9.99 no LLU so it's gone up to £17.99, the max speed I get is 2.90Mb/s. I have looked around but TBH don't see any thing better ATM. :)
Have you threatened to leave John? Surely, they'll offer you some decrease in the cost?

You been on that bike recently?

druid2uk

Top Member
Have you threatened to leave John? Surely, they'll offer you some decrease in the cost?

You been on that bike recently?
Hi, I haven't been here for a while.

I don't think they will budge on price with people on LLU a friend tried and they refused him, apparently BT increased the costs to them.

As for the bike, I haven't been on it since October, I renewed the tax in Oct and the disc is still on my desk! When I was a young bloke I rode in all weathers even snow etc but now I am a total wimp TBH, even a black cloud puts me off :laugh: Of course dropping an ST1100 is a bit different to an old 250cc Royal Enfield.

As soon as we get a perfect day (lol not very often) I shall be off!

What about you?

rruwalton

ISP Rep
I had the Gixer serviced about 6weeks ago c/o my brother-in-law in Bradford. I haven't been out on it since riding back to Leeds in the rain.

Last year the longest ride out gap was 4wks but it looks like it could be some time before I'm out again. As I type this the snow is falling fast and the forecast isn't good. :(

druid2uk

Top Member
Both my wife and myself are also keen cyclists and ride with a local club but we have hardly touched the pedals over the last 3 weeks because of the cráp weather! :shrug: Tomorrow does not look promising either.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
We don't have snow here but the roads and paths are far too icey to risk going out on my own cycle/mountain bike for a morning flip around the area. I usually enjoy that but it sucks being stuck to using two legs on foot rather than pedal. Still.. better that than a broken neck.

druid2uk

Top Member
We don't have snow here but the roads and paths are far too icey to risk going out on my own cycle/mountain bike for a morning flip around the area. I usually enjoy that but it sucks being stuck to using two legs on foot rather than pedal. Still.. better that than a broken neck.
That's what we feel TBH, the village road is very icy meaning we would have to walk to the main road and stick to it, so we are going to meet at the cafe stop in our van as will several others, there will certain to be a few hardy (daft) type who will ride there though! :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
AOL called offering me 3 mths 1/2 price BB if I signed an 18mth contract - No way I told them.

They called 3 more times including one time when they put the phone down on my wife. On the 3rd occasion they called I asked them not to call me again.

My bank statement used to show me paying AOL and now it says TALKTALK TELECOM - I was given no notice of the change.

With the free 01 & 02 phone calls and only paying £6.99 a mth, I cant really cant afford to leave.

druid2uk

Top Member
I did manage to get my AOL subs down to £14.99 per month but I had to settle for an 18month contract, I had no intention of leaving anyway so I signed up.

Where I live there is zero chance of any LLU and it's a long way to the exchange, ATM I am getting around 3.38Mb/s which is the best speed I have ever seen here. Touch wood. :)

rruwalton

ISP Rep
John, sometimes its better the devil you know.

By the way, I just bought a GSXR 750 - what a bike! Have you been out yet?

druid2uk

Top Member
John, sometimes its better the devil you know.

By the way, I just bought a GSXR 750 - what a bike! Have you been out yet?
I have been out on the Pan twice this year so far both only for short rides, I must admit I am finding the Pan very heavy these days especially when parking and moving it around, I have toyed with changing it for a Deauville, it's similar to the Pan but lighter but I bet I would miss the Pan's power!

I would be scared to death on a GSXR 750, reckon I am getting too old for motorised two wheels TBH. :)

druid2uk

Top Member
John, what about a trike :)
Lol, I tried riding a trike (cycle) a few years ago and found it quite impossible to ride, it kept veering to the kerb, I think it is because my body is automatically trying to balance the thing and it upsets the steering, I think I would just crash on a Motor trike! :eek:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2535)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1676)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1111)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1058)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (604)
  17. Sky Broadband (601)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (534)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules