Sponsored Links

New 4g connection - changes over first few days

Just another thought JT. If one of phones that connects from home is an android, you can dial *3001#12345#*. That will bring up a Field Test menu that will give you the Cell ID and the band you are connecting to.

Just another thought JT. If one of phones that connects from home is an android, you can dial *3001#12345#*. That will bring up a Field Test menu that will give you the Cell ID and the band you are connecting to.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should move away from Mac!

Until you can get hold of a cheap android phone that covers the UK 4g bands you will not get the info needed to work out what's going on. Is there a Windows emulator you can run on the Mac.

iphone 8 and iphone 7 working ok
iphone 5c not getting a signal
I think that's as expected as EE don't support VoLTE on the iPhone 5C and so that device won't have access to B20.
EE VoLTE is supported (and therefore should get access to B20) from the iPhone 6 onwards.

1601539426955.png

Edit: I think this pretty much confirms there is only B20 available at your home and those speeds (24/8) are the maximum you're likely to see unless other bands get added in the future.
Just don't tell your neighbours else you'll be sharing that speed with them too and getting a smaller slice of the available capacity!

Until you can get hold of a cheap android phone that covers the UK 4g bands you will not get the info needed to work out what's going on. Is there a Windows emulator you can run on the Mac.
I've managed to get it working on my imac. There's an app called bluestacks that allows me to access the googlestore. What next?

Sponsored Links
I think that's as expected as EE don't support VoLTE on the iPhone 5C and so that device won't have access to B20.
EE VoLTE is supported (and therefore should get access to B20) from the iPhone 6 onwards.

View attachment 492

Edit: I think this pretty much confirms there is only B20 available at your home and those speeds (24/8) are the maximum you're likely to see unless other bands get added in the future.
Just don't tell your neighbours else you'll be sharing that speed with them too and getting a smaller slice of the available capacity!
thanks Gavin - I've now managed to get HuaCtrl working on my mac via bluestacks. Not sure how I find out which bands are available?

If 1800mhz was available at a reasonable signal level then the network should band-steer your device onto it, but as 1800mhz doesn't travel as far as 800mhz (or penetrate materials as easily) it may be preferring the stronger signal of 800mhz - however I think you said you're only 1km away from the mast, so it'd be unusual that you couldn't get some 1800mhz that close.

In huaCtrl if you select the 2nd tab page (spanner icon at the bottom) there is a section to 'Set Bands', and in there you should be able to un-select B20 (800mhz) to force your router to not connect to that band.
If there are any other bands available then it should connect to one instead, however I get the feeling there aren't any other bands (at the present time).

Sponsored Links
If band 3 1800mhz were available then being you are so close to the mast I would say it should be on band 3. But to check do the following.

1. At the bottom click on the spanner.

2. In the next screen click on the pencil under Set Band and unclick all but Band 3 and then click apply.

3. Navigate back to front screen then wait for the router to scan under its new setting.

4. If band 3 appears then test your download speed, however its more likely at 1km there is no band 3 so no connection will be made.

5. If no connection then go back into band selection and tick band 20 etc.

If 1800mhz was available at a reasonable signal level then the network should band-steer your device onto it, but as 1800mhz doesn't travel as far as 800mhz (or penetrate materials as easily) it may be preferring the stronger signal of 800mhz - however I think you said you're only 1km away from the mast, so it'd be unusual that you couldn't get some 1800mhz that close.

In huaCtrl if you select the 2nd tab page (spanner icon at the bottom) there is a section to 'Set Bands', and in there you should be able to un-select B20 (800mhz) to force your router to not connect to that band.
If there are any other bands available then it should connect to one instead, however I get the feeling there aren't any other bands (at the present time).
If band 3 1800mhz were available then being you are so close to the mast I would say it should be on band 3. But to check do the following.

1. At the bottom click on the spanner.

2. In the next screen click on the pencil under Set Band and unclick all but Band 3 and then click apply.

3. Navigate back to front screen then wait for the router to scan under its new setting.

4. If band 3 appears then test your download speed, however its more likely at 1km there is no band 3 so no connection will be made.

5. If no connection then go back into band selection and tick band 20 etc.
couldnt find band3 so have reset back to enable B20

I've emailed the project team to see if they've implemented it or whether it is going to be implemented

They'd previously said we would get 800 & 1800MHz so will be interested in their response. Wonder if the ESN sharing affects the standard ee configuration?

Useful info for others on macs that you can use Bluestacks to get HuaCtrl working on mac (iMac not ipad)

View attachment 492

for my older iphone, I've selected 3g only but its still not getting a signal.
Does that make sense?

Yeah that seems right- EE's 3G layer runs on the 2100mhz frequency with their 2G on 1800mhz.
New EE masts are forgoing 3G entirely in favour of 4G/2G only setups.

I thought switching to 3G only on an iPhone actually set it to use 3G/2G, but I might be wrong there (I don't have an iPhone).
The current lack of 2G might be an indication that there is still some pending work for the site to enable the 1800mhz radio (as you said it was planned to have) which would then enable B3 LTE and 2G services.

(I'm checking to see if its a thing for EE to not deploy 2G to some sites i.e. 4G only)

Update: 'sometimes' is the answer - sometimes they're 4G only, sometimes B20 only, sometimes B3(4G) only, sometimes 1800mhz (B3 4G and 2G). So that doesnt help us.

@JTScotland do you have a (zoom) camera?
If you're able to go to the mast and take some photos of the radio units if they're at the base of the mast if they're not housed within a cabinet/hut that would be clear as to what frequencies they've installed (800 radios are separate to 1800 ones).
Failing that getting (zoomed) photos of the undersides of the antennas themselves and or MHAs (mast-head-amplifiers - boxes located somewhere near the top of the mast) could reveal what feeders are in place for what frequencies.

Something like these would be perfect... (credit to Peter at https://pedroc.co.uk/)
Radios:
three_huawei_2t2r_radios_5501_5301.jpg

Antennas:
ee_tri_band_800_1800_2100.jpg

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules