Sponsored Links

New housing estate - Fibre all around us but OpenReach just will not comment?

ajc

Hello.

My housing estate has been active for 2 years or so now. We are stuck on 1mpbs.

Fibre is all around us, even Virgin is close. We are in Virgin's plans, but that could be years.

OpenReach don't even have plans for our area. Surely with fibre all around us, it wouldn't cost much.

The postcode is WS2 7BF.

Is there any way to get more information at all? They only say "it was established that there is no Current Project as of now, Openreach would not be able to upgrade this cabinet at this moment in time".

Thanks!

From what I have seem BT are saying they are looking but also ask if you have considered co funding in other words you raise half and BT cover other half.

Might be worth looking other ways like 4G and 5G according to postcode signal is good.

4G coverage in WS2 7BF

Very good service.
Great news. You can use the internet in most instances on our 4G network. Just so you know, indoor signal strength may vary.

If the development was built 2 years ago then there's a good chance it would not have been included in the government's broadband project (BDUK) as the plans may well have been drawn up before then.

You might expect the developers to have included broadband provision as part of the build, but these days it's still not seen as a "utility" like water and electricity, and you can get "broadband", it's just really slow.

There's a development here that's in exactly that position. Year after year the plots remain unsold because the broadband speed is about 0.5Meg to 2Meg at best. Those who have bought are basically "stuck" having not checked what would be available to them. Often seems to be the case that people assume new development = modern utilities, but broadband is not one of those utilities.

However the cabinet that is connected to also serves the rest of the neighbouring area and that is getting "fibre" so therefore the new development should benefit from that too. It's years late (was supposed to be "everyone can get 2Mbps by end 2015" and now it's 2017) but it is happening. At least the cabinet exists even if it's not in service yet.

If the development has a separate cabinet and it only serves that development (not economic for anyone to upgrade, too few users), or, if the line lengths to the cabinet you're connected are more than about 1km (too far for good "fibre" speeds), then you have a bigger problem than if your position is similar to the above. May be a good idea to research this.

Sponsored Links
If you are interested - here is the BT cabinet you are connected to:
https://goo.gl/maps/Kxacd6PxeTo

And it does look like it is either BDUK / Council funded superfast rollout - or self fund :(

You might find that contacting your local MP or councilor is the best route to find out what is going on with the broadband for the estate.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

If you are interested - here is the BT cabinet you are connected to:
https://goo.gl/maps/Kxacd6PxeTo

And it does look like it is either BDUK / Council funded superfast rollout - or self fund :(

You might find that contacting your local MP or councilor is the best route to find out what is going on with the broadband for the estate.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Thanks for the reply. That road (Forest Ln) has fibre right now, so how does that work mate? What makes you think I'm on that cabinet?

I thought i'd be on this one, which is a bit closer (if it's an internet cabinet)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sK6lGipKTCcsUpS3IbnsJmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks for your time.

Easy way to find out which cabinet you are on is checking on BT's postcode checker it says cabinet 117 so which of those cabinets is 117 the number is normally on the side.

Taking Tom's map link as a starting point, it seems that's very close but not actually 117.
Move back along Forest Lane a bit, away from Bloxwich Road, and there's another cabinet very close to that one, which clearly has "117" on the front of it.

Sponsored Links
Ah, good spot. I was only going by the address record I could find for that cabinet and found one then didn't look around any further.

ajc.. The cabinet you posted in your google maps link looks like a traffic light controller :( Zoom out a bit and yep - there are the traffic lights :)

p.s. Looks like a lovely area - shame about the broadband :D

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Sorry for the questions. So we have found my cabinet - that road it is on has fibre, so surely the cabinet supports fibre? Possibly full cabinet and too expensive to put another in?

Different cabinet, but why is it problematic to push fibre down a road and enable hundreds of houses?

Sponsored Links
It would perhaps be not enough ducting space to push the fibre through, might need planning to dig up road to lay ducting. Not an easy answer only ones that can answer are Bt themselves if and when they decide to talk.

I had this problem when I was renting in an Acton new build development. A group of residents attempted like yourself to instigate a connection through the major companies without luck so approached Hyperoptic who were able to install the connections. Took months from instigating contact to connection.

I have some friends still in the block and they are very happy. Went from 1mb to 70mb.

Hope this helps.

To confirm I have zero ties to Hyperoptic, just speaking from experience as a resident!

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules