Sponsored

New install questions.

JCB Digger

Casual Member
Hi,

We've just had the Aramiska 1Meg service installed.

A few questions and niggles.

1) It'd be nice to be able to ping the bloody Arc box from over the internet, so I could be sure the problem with getting a VPN wasn't at my end.

2) What's the story with port forwarding? It seems hit & miss as to whether it works or whether the Arc box needs a reboot before it takes any notice of you.

3) While the installation has gone OK, the dish itself is very low, and we feel it's just a matter of time until it gets knocked off the wall - Why don't Aramiska use poles with additional brackets to move a dish out of harms way?

4) Oh, finally, speed. We're supposedly getting 1Meg downstream, 256K upstream. We're actually getting 90Kbps up/down stream on FTP transfers over a VPN (IE, around ISDN speeds) Is this normal, or should I be shouting at someone?

Ta, John

Web Buddy

I would have though 90KBs is pretty reasonable for 1Mb. You certainly would not have got that from ISDN. I would guess that typically on 64K ISDN that you would get around 8 or 9Kbs

Satuser

Casual Member
Ok, as per usual the maths seems to be getting in the way.

From what I can see :

JCB Digger is saying he is paying for a download of 1000 kbps and is getting 90 kbps, which would seem to me to be terrible.

Web Buddy is turning this into 90 KBs which is 720 kbps. Sorry Web Buddy I assume you read the question wrong, but that's how your answer reads !!

> Is this normal, or should I be shouting at someone?

Well I would hope that this is not normal but unless others on this system jump in and tell you otherwise I think you will find that it is normal.

In which case you can jump up and down as much as you like but you won't get any better. Please someone, who is a bussiness user, tell me I am wrong, but the Satellite industry seems to sell their systems on numbers which they can not back up.

Satellite Stan

Pro Member
?

Has anybody spoken with Customer services about their issues?? , Looking at the the posts it would seem not!!,
I suggest calling them Tommorrow and speaking with Tech support,You will get the quickest reslove that way.

The number is FREE 008000 272 64752

Stan

JCB Digger

Casual Member
No Stan, I've not contacted anyone at Aramiska about these issues, but I felt it'd be an idea to see how common these problems are..

What kind of speeds would _you_ expect to get out of an FTP server sitting on the far side of an Aramiska VPN?

What are your feelings about lack of port forwarding (or even Ping-ability)?

Regards, John

Web Buddy

Depends whether he means Kilobits or kilobytes.

Satuser said:
Ok, as per usual the maths seems to be getting in the way.

From what I can see :

JCB Digger is saying he is paying for a download of 1000 kbps and is getting 90 kbps, which would seem to me to be terrible.

Web Buddy is turning this into 90 KBs which is 720 kbps. Sorry Web Buddy I assume you read the question wrong, but that's how your answer reads !!

> Is this normal, or should I be shouting at someone?

Well I would hope that this is not normal but unless others on this system jump in and tell you otherwise I think you will find that it is normal.

In which case you can jump up and down as much as you like but you won't get any better. Please someone, who is a bussiness user, tell me I am wrong, but the Satellite industry seems to sell their systems on numbers which they can not back up.

Fudskie

Pro Member

all this information you are asking is on the http://care.aramiska.net FAQ & support site.
This will include speeds on VPN & ports etc.
This matter is a customer service issue for you & i suggest you contact them with your issues so they can resolve/answer your query.
Ping is due to the firewall.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Satuser

Casual Member
> Depends whether he means Kilobits or kilobytes

The guy said 90 kbps, I would have thought it was clear ?

If he was getting 720 out of 1000 do you really think he would be asking the question ?

> No Stan, I've not contacted anyone at Aramiska

EXACTLY, sales staff will tell you what they want you to think.

Stick to your guns JCB Digger, find out what REAL users get in the way of upload speeds.

slaughterme

1 meg

LO Peeps

NOw i'm no techie but 90kbs should be multiplied by 8 to give u the real download speed
so that would give you 720k
so it's not great but i get 57 on 512

so take outa that what u want;)
slaw

JCB Digger

Casual Member
Agreed, a good deal of stuff is apparently there at care/aramiska.

There's an intriguing section there labelled 'known limitations' the sad thing is that I can't read it as I'm not behind an Arc - so, the only way to find out Aramiska's acknowledged limitations is to subscribe to the service, by which time it's too late.... :-}

I'm sorry, I can't find anything specific about VPN speeds (or at least, there's nothing that Aramiska will let me read with my Zen ADSL connection). There's a section detailing 'guaranteed bandwidth', though I suspect that's more to do with contention ratios than actual real-world figures.

The sad thing here is that if Aramiska would crack open a few TCP ports for me to use for a public facing FTP server (I'd be happy even if they were firewalled off for just a single IP address to access) and a UDP port for my preferred remote control package, then everything would work much, much faster (run an FTP transfer _behind_ the Arc without using a VPN and the speeds are very good). The slowdown seems to be a by-product of VPN than the actual satellite system itself.

Regards, John

Satuser

Casual Member
> NOw i'm no techie but 90kbs should be multiplied by 8

Just to get this correct

Kilobits per second is written kbps , all lower case
Kilobytes per second is written KB/sec or KBs

So when the guy said 90kbps, check the orginal message, he actually saying he's getting 11.25 KB/sec.

In other words he's not quite twice the speed of a good dial-up. Now is that what you call good for a 1MB Satellite service. If so fine, but it's not quite whats on the outside of the box is it.

Satellite Stan

Pro Member
Satuser,

JCB Points out that he is Using Zen ADSL which is possibly 512/256 and not in fact using a 1 meg Satellite Platform, It seems to me that he is trying to connect to An ARC elsewhere!! How do we Know it is not his ADSL connection creating lag??

stan

JCB Digger

Casual Member
Stan,

"How do we Know it is not his ADSL connection creating lag??"

Let me see, ADSL, connected directly to a 'phone exchange, ping times to www.bbc.co.uk of 31ms.

As opposed to Aramiska, via satellite, with a several thousand mile round trip through the atmosphere, generating ping times to www.bbc.co.uk from 610ms up to 800ms, and you think that the ADSL is creating connection lag?

You're delusional.

:)

Regards, John

JCB Digger

Casual Member
VPN speeds taken from care.aramiska

Yes, the figures are there - http://care.aramiska.net/ipsecinfo.php

Maximum speeds for VPN

The speeds in the following table are all in kbits per second. To get the actual download speeds, you need to divide these numbers by 10 to get Kbytes per second.

Minimum Guaranteed Speeds
Package ARC500 ARC1000 ARC2000
Kbits per second 22 45 90
Kbytes per second 2.2 4.5 9.0

Burst speeds
Package ARC500 ARC1000 ARC2000
Kbits per second 90 160 160
Kbytes per second 9.0 16.0 16.0

So, anywhere between 45kbits and 160kbits (4.5K per second to 16K per second), so I suppose I should be happy with my average of 90kbits per second.

Regards, John

Satuser

Casual Member
JCB Digger, I've only just realised that your last message was a copy from the Aramiska website. ie:

> Maximum speeds for VPN

> The speeds in the following table are all in kbits per second. To > get the actual download speeds, you need to divide these numbers >by 10 to get Kbytes per second.

So this technical website thinks that you divide by 10 to convert from kbits to kbytes ?

Hang your heads in shame Aramiska reps, it's divide by 8 :eek:

JCB Digger

Casual Member
I suspect that someone's been brought up on modems..

1 start bit + 8 data bits + 1 stop bit, gives you 10 bits per useable character (of course there was usually a parity bit, but I'm sure you get the point)...

Does satellite really need start and stop bits - I'd have thought it's all transferred as a bloody great chunk with a CRC on the whole block - anyone know?

Actually, if the figures should be divided by 8, then the figures look much better - 20K instead of 16K.

Regards, John

Fudskie

Pro Member
Ports & services

Dear all,
shortly to be announced Aramiska will be giving the capability to open ports on the 1MB & 2MB service locally. This will eliminate the need for a VPN in some cases thus increasing speeds. Aramiska will be announcing this on there web site shortly including some other product changes to include satellite VPN improvements. I hope this gives people the idea we are a growing company & are acting on the market need for more flexibility in our product. As said before we are a growing company that strives to improve our service at all times. This will include a service for high end users & communities WITHOUT a fair usage policy thus creating the UNLIMITED USUAGE people have been so fast to discuss. I hope this addresses us as an ISP that is taking the customer market to where it wishes to go.

JCB Digger

Casual Member
Fanbloodytastic!

That's all my problems solved at a stroke - I run a secondary firewall between the ARC and our local network and I only need to have access to FTP files to/from our own sites, so it's a trivial operation to close the FTP ports to other users...

Looks like going for the 1Meg service was a good decision after all.

Fudskie, can you be more specific on timing? Days/Months/Years (delete as applicable)

Regards, John

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2207)
  3. FTTC (1660)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1429)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1240)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1077)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1040)
  11. Fibre Optic (970)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (910)
  14. 4G (901)
  15. Virgin Media (858)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (519)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules