Sponsored

New ISDN User

Fil1976

Hello all,

I'm getting BT Home Highway installed this Friday and I'm on the lookout for an ISDN provider.

Up until a few months ago I was using 56k dialup, shared with my wife and brother-in-law. 56k gets a little slow when three people try to download their emails all at once!

Just after christmas we had Satellite broadband installed. We thought it would be a very big step up and enable us to download like our ADSL friends. Unfortunately not. Spring has arrived, and so have the leaves on the trees. Error blocks that were once rare are no commonplace. Connection is tricky and speeds are around 100kbps. Generally unreliable and not worth the £44.99 we were paying each month, on top of a £14.99 56k connection to Freeserve.

So we've cancelled the satellite and got BT to install Home Highway.
Now the hunt is on for an ISDN service provider.

We need to bond the 128k channels occassionaly. How easy is this? Is it a case of redialling or can I just click a button on a piece of software (I use XP). Having used a very reliable service from Freeserve for many years I'm a bit wary of new providers. I don't like being let down with busy tones and crap service and support.

Thats why I'm posting in this forum, and not a different ISDN supplier.

I've browsed the Quik website and looked at the packages. It says that custom packages are available. But to be honest I haven't got a clue what we're going to use. We've never been limited on time, the 24/7 freeserve dialup was unlimited.

We tend to connect from 6pm, and maybe go on until 12am. 6 hours for weekdays. Weekends can be anything from all day (9am? - 12am = 15 hours) to just evenings. So thats anything around 180 hours.

180 hours, assuming continuous 128k bonded connection? What costs are we talking for a 200hours p/month 128k 2hr cutoff package? We're not too worried on email addresses or domain names as we already own three of our own in the house. Can we trade those in against the package cost? ;)

Do the hours rollover? (Wild shot in the dark? :rolleyes: ). Is there a download limit? Is there an application I can use to monitor the hours used? If I go over the hours, can I just buy more

Sorry for all the questions. But I'm a bit aprehensive. As the technical guy in the house (Web designer by trade and previsouly a computer technician) I normally get it in the neck when the connection falls over.

Hope I haven't bored you all to death.

Heres looking forward to a guaranteed 128k connection !!!!

Thanks, Phil Collins.

jdtaylor

ULTIMATE Member
Clara.net seems to be the best bet for reliable and fast isdn connections eith no cut off periods.

also try quikinternet

good prices, reliable, and always great service and support

ps. want to buy a bt speedway pci card to lower your pings

in getting 2mg adsl so if you interested in it pm me

cheers

Bob2002

I think really you should have posted this in the ISDN forum (you`ll get more responses) but I`m a Home Highway user so I`ll try to help out.

Bonding channels is easy, you just tick the channels in the connection options on Windows 2000 anyway (not really relevant for me because I use an ISDN router/hub that does things automatically). To be honest 64k is fine for surfing I only ever use 128k if I have a large download to make.

Sadly as far as packages go I`m a bit out of touch - as I said try posting in the ISDN forum. Currently I use Freeserve for my 64k connection and have another account with an ISP for 128k which is fine (very,very,very cheap - under cost price probably) but I can`t really talk about it in detail - don`t ask me why.

The figure of 180 hours dual bonded is quite high. You probably don`t need to dual bond all the time. Most ISPs will double the amount of time you can spend online if you don`t use 128k. The rule generally, with 128k ISPs, is use bonding infrequently so that you always have plenty of hours left in your time bank. Maybe XP has bandwidth on demand to help you with this.

No ISPs I`ve heard of will roll the spare hours over. I`ve never come across download limits - it`s all about hours online. Many ISPs have online time banks telling you how much time you have left - you probably won`t have to monitor it yourself. I think Fast 24 allow you to buy more hours - but they`ve been going through some technical difficulties, beware.

From your post you seem quite keen on using 128k all the time but the reality is you will find it`s almost irrelevant for normal browsing and it is the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

oZ

Top Member
play us a couple of tunes :D :laugh: :laugh:

sorry couldnt help it :nod: :nod:

Fil1976

Thanks for the replies.

My main reason for wanting 128k most of the time is that there are three computers sharing the internet connection (host and two guests) therefore there would be three computers requesting web pages. Hence the requirement for 128k bonding.

I will post my questions in the ISDN forum, to be honest I didn't realise there was a general ISDN forum.

As for you Oz, requests are £5,000 a time. ;)

Hi There

Quik has a mximum hour policy of 150 hours dual channel, (or 300 hours at single channel if you buy the dual channel package).

The reality is that in the dial up market every ISP uses ports because that is the only way that you can connect to the internet on narrowband.

As Mark Jackson from ISP review continuallu emphasises, ports costs about £ 100 per month wholesale (a bit less now, but not much).

Most people use the net between 9.am and midnight. So, 15 hours x 30 days = 450 hours. If you want to use 2 ports for 180 hours that costs wholesale about £ 80. 180/450 x 100 x 2.

There's nothing we can do about it. Port prices set by BT, and even the most critical journalist can't blame ISP's for the number of hours in a day.

So, we at Quik contend the ports at less than 10 to 1. Actually about 8:1 at the moment.

The real solution is for BT to get a move on and make broadband available everywhere.

Apparently remote Scandanavian villages, remote French farmhouses etc can all get Broadband at low cost, but not here.

I think that the Government likes BT dominance. They pay billions in tax, whereas a more fragmented market would lead to more customer service, but lower profits, and at lower rates and less money for the Chancellor.

jdtaylor

ULTIMATE Member
I think 3 computers on a 64k connection should be fine, no problems here, 4 computers on one network not all on internet at same time and problem free 64k surfing.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: SPRING19
  • Vodafone £21.00 (*23.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.50
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2389)
  2. FTTP (1967)
  3. FTTC (1586)
  4. Building Digital UK (1540)
  5. Politics (1323)
  6. Openreach (1320)
  7. Business (1168)
  8. Statistics (1028)
  9. Mobile Broadband (954)
  10. FTTH (949)
  11. Fibre Optic (933)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (866)
  13. Wireless Internet (855)
  14. 4G (837)
  15. Virgin Media (800)
  16. Sky Broadband (573)
  17. TalkTalk (553)
  18. EE (550)
  19. Vodafone (462)
  20. Security (392)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules