Sponsored

New limits for Surfmax

PCR

ULTIMATE Member
Must admit im alittle dissapointed. After sticking with f4 for so long now, like some others, throught all the problems and such, its dissapointing to be limited down to 15gb a month. I tend to use anywhere between 15 and 30, depending on other factors (other people using connection etc), and althought ive always been more for speed and reliability, 15 is really cutting it fine for me, as i really dont want to have to use 'bolt ons' and other stuff just to extend my usage a month. Would be nice for those that have actually stuck through the last year or so with everything thats happened, to be given 'extra' allowance for the first couple of months of the changes or something like that.

I cant see me moving anywhere for the time being, but how long ill stay i dont know.

Capped4

Pro Member
18. Variation
Fast4 Internet reserves the right to vary the terms of this Agreement or the nature of the Service (where the technical specification of the Service is varied) at any time and Fast4 Internet will inform you of any such changes through email, newsletter or such other medium, as Fast4 Internet considers appropriate.

I guess this clause lets them do this. After supporting them through the bad times this is how they repay us. You would have thought they would have transferred us onto the higher package for free.

Under English law you CANNOT insert an unfair clause into a contract... this, therefore does not let them off the hook.

I seem to remember the monthly fee being charged in ADVANCE, too. so we have paid up front for upto 60 gb (then unlimited on the naughty pipe) and now will be charged extra for exceeding 15gb within the time paid for. I don't think so!!!

Now, at the risk of making myself identifiable to fast4 (i request any information gleaned by any forum member is ni=ot passed to Fast4) here is the ticket I logged today

Could you clarify the position of customers wishing to migrate from Fast4 due to a detrimental change to t&C. I assume that the changes will not apply (ie 15gb LIMIT) for the 28 days notice/cancellation period enforced by fast4 and that we will continue to enjoy the service as purchased (albeit within the introduced 60gb FUP)

As I understand the position, we are free to reject the revision to T&C as detrimental, and to continue to use the service, as provided prior to changes upto agreed termination date.

I do not consider that 3 days notice is appropriate for a change of this magnitude, an "unlimited" service was purchased as it was suitable to my needs - a 15gb / month is not suitable

Should make for an interesting reply

mc6415

Pro Member
Just a few things from farce4's T+C's that I was wondering if someone could explain:

"15.4 Each provision of this Agreement, excluding or limiting liability, operates separately. If any part is held by a court to be unreasonable or inapplicable, the other parts shall continue to apply."

I'm not entirely sure if this is legal, however I'm no lawyer so I may be incorrect.

"(b) by you using the Cancel Account link in your secure members control panel. Cancellation must be completed by using the Cancel Account link within your secure members control panel. Any purported cancellation by telephone, email, fax, post or any other form will not be acceptable and must be completed within your secure members control panel before it will be accepted and effective under these terms."

I'm pretty certain this would be considered unfair by law as if the service was down for a whole year there would be no means by which to cancel it.

"14.0 Your account runs from calendar month to calendar month commencing with the date upon which your application is accepted. Each subsequent payment is then collected there after every 30 (thirty) days unless extended by us for any reason. In making your application, you are asking us to commence the service to you immediately. Under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, you are entitled to cancel your account at any time within seven (7) working days of your application being accepted but in asking us to make your account available to you immediately, you are thereby waiving your right to cancel. Please also note that the account services continue to run for more than thirty (30) days."

If it run's from calendar month to calendar month we have already paid for this month's service as unlimited, I'm not sure where the legal standing is on paying for a service and not receiving it, I believe it is something to do with having to be given one of equal or better value than the original, by cutting the cap down by 45Gb I can't see how this is of equal or better value to the consumer.

I'm sure there's more so I urge all dissatisfied customers (a.k.a most of you) to have a read through of the T+C's and see what you can find

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Could you clarify the position of customers wishing to migrate from Fast4 due to a detrimental change to t&C. I assume that the changes will not apply (ie 15gb LIMIT) for the 28 days notice/cancellation period enforced by fast4 and that we will continue to enjoy the service as purchased (albeit within the introduced 60gb FUP)
:nod: I suspect if you reject their variation to your contract (within the contractual time limit for rejecting changes) and have migrated before the end of the period that you have paid them in advance for, then not only would they not be entitled to be paid for 28 days notice, but you'd be legally entitled to a pro rata refund for the remainer of the pre paid period.

Hi fray the cancel account option is being worked upon as it was not 'talking' correctly to the database. this is being fixed at the moment.

Capped4

Pro Member
The reply - Can I not get a simple answer? Fast4 have accepted my payment in advance for an unlimited service. They have advised of a change to T&C which I have declined to accept and have made arrangements to leave - the 28 days waiting is imposed by Fast4. I am entitled to receive the service AS PURCHASED for the remainder of my pre-paid subscription.

Will Fast4 honour this obligation?

We do reserve the right to change the terms of service as is required to ensure service can be delivered - but you do not have to commit to this change if you do not wish to: you are able to close your account if you wish to and obtain a MAC code as part of the cancellation process too.

Effectively, we are unable to continue providing ADSL with such high bandwidth allowances per month at the cost you are currently paying for your service; this is why we have advised you about the changes that are pending but as suggested you can cancel your account if this is not sufficient for you. There are no exit fees - beyond the subscriptions may be due during the notice period - required if you do choose to cancel.

The online method (within your members area select My Account -> Cancel Account) is how you should cancel your account but due to a problem with this tool, you may currently be unable to do so: however, this should be resolved fully by the 5th March and once available again the tool should be able to provide you with a MAC code as soon as you have completed the cancelation process, speeding up the process of your cancellation.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Customer Services

My reply

Thanks or reply. However, Fast4 have accepted my payment in advance to provide the service I purchased, and I believe is obliged to provide the service, as offered, until such time as further payment is due? Terms and Conditions may only be changed REASONABLY.

MAC code has been requested and I have chosen a new supplier. The only question remaining is whether Fast4 and myself can come to an amicable arrangement over the remaining term or whether this will evolve into a protracted ( and public) legal battle should extra charges be levied due to me using the service that I have paid for!!

Can you assure me that for the remaining days until I successfully migrate away from fast4 as my ISP that I will receive the unlimited service for which you have accepted my payment in advance?

Quite frankly, the fact that they cannot make a profit on the service they sold means nothing to me! Take responsibility for your own mistakes, Fast4 - Don't expect me to carry the loss for you

lonestar

Casual Member
Cancellation page

Hello, can i get some idea of when the cancel account page will be available?
thanks.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
thanks.
I am sure OFCOM rules say the ISP has to allow at least two methods of requesting a MAC I am sure Mell will correct me if I am wrong. If the normal method is down then Fast4 with the change in rules then should honour other methods of obtaining a MAC.

Mac

Top Member
If i leave fast4 and go to titan will they be able to give me the same speed as fast4

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If i leave fast4 and go to titan will they be able to give me the same speed as fast4

You would be better of asking this in the Titan forum where you will have answers from members using Titan or the Titan isp rep.

Capped4

Pro Member
thanks.
According to the Fast4 response, by 5/03 Which just happens to be the first day of the revised T&C - thus forcing you to use the revised service......................................... Log a ticket with your acceptance / denial of new terms first. We wouldn't want a "you used the new service as offered, therefore you accept it" situation , would we ?

Cynical old B'stard mode again ! Some situations are too full of coincidence to be true, aren't they?

moogaloo

Casual Member
I am wondering whether to jump or not. I sympathise with fast4 who have changed their backbone and business model, that they need to make money. But I do feel that there is a lack of clarity and customer service here. I think they are basically trying to get the high bandwidh users to jump. I have never gone over 15GB but have come within a few 100MBs so in reality this probably will not affect me immediately, but as online content, downloads, patches, tv delivery grows peoples bandwidth usage will increase too including mine.

I have also been a bit peeved about the billing cock up and even now I am unsure if I ended up being overpaid. There does not seem to be any way of looking at an account history in the members section. Also when they wrongly sent me the demands they included a threat that if it was not paid within x days they wouild pass it to a debt collection agency, I tried pointing out to them that it was illegal for them to make this threat as they would have to have gone to court before any debt collection agency could be appointed and according to the police (I have a seperate incident with some decorators) they consider this kind of threat to be harrasment. i never got an appology or response to that at all. Nor did it disappear when they kept sending me wrong demands.

So I guess all in all I am a bit cheased of with them, and I am not what could be considered a heavy user. A bit more respect for their customers would not go ahead, All I keep reading is finger pointing by them publicly about the dodgy surfing of some of their customers, well thanks alot!!

The thing I want to know apart from whether the next 28 days is still unlimited, is whether the no exit fess for <12 month people is time limited, could I exit in say 2 months time and still not pay any exit fees?

Paulplex

ISP Rep
According to the Fast4 response, by 5/03 Which just happens to be the first day of the revised T&C - thus forcing you to use the revised service......................................... Log a ticket with your acceptance / denial of new terms first. We wouldn't want a "you used the new service as offered, therefore you accept it" situation , would we ?

Cynical old B'stard mode again ! Some situations are too full of coincidence to be true, aren't they?
If the account is to have been canceled yesterday, today or tomorrow, the process and charges are the same; there is no longer an exit fee collected - only whatever subscription is due within the 28 day notice period.

So, although I agree that the cancellation process in the members area having gone AWOL right now is frustrating, you are not forced into accepting the changes to the terms by only being able to cancel from the 5th March - the process and charges made to you is the same as it was before: just without an exit fee collected if the account is closed within the first twelve months of service delivery.

Capped4

Pro Member
The thing I want to know apart from whether the next 28 days is still unlimited, is whether the no exit fess for <12 month people is time limited, could I exit in say 2 months time and still not pay any exit fees?[/QUOTE]

As I said, can't get a simple answer to a simple question:rolleyes:

Maybe this will help

From the 5th March, you will be on the 15Gb per month service; I am sorry but it will not be possible to provide more than this on your current monthly subscription rate.

You can request a MAC code as part of the cancellation process; this should be fully available again to you within your members area from the evening of the 5th March.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Customer Services

Countdown to MAC code - 25 hours elapsed- not received

theazz

Casual Member
this is absolutely disgusting, I'm on 14.5 gig as of now and getting a new ISP take what, a week, 2?

anyone else this high as of now?

ive contacted them about the same thing, unlimited usage for the rest of this month like he above says, lets see...

IveBeenDone4

More Good News About "Done4"

Well after you go over 15Gb, you get an outstanding download rate of oh er about 80kb/s if your lucky.

So you've guessed it took me about 1 minute for this damn page to load.

I am absolutely ****ed off with these guy's, it's just one thing after another.

Although I am closing my account, they now think it's a good idea to put me on the "Bad Boy Pipe" - How was I to know they were gonna change the limit from 60Gb to 15Gb.

I really do hope they sort this speed thing out, as I can't even bleedin cancel the account cause it's not working at the moment - so now imagine trying to do it with this Speed Crippled Connection (when they get the cancel thing to work!!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And up until now, I have found it in myself to be tolerant - now I'm questioning why.

One Very Very Unhappy Fast4 Customer, soon to be ex-customer (hopefully!!!)

Last edited:

r1ck

Casual Member
i rang them today and the guy said they cant cancel over the phone it must be done from the members area, i said yeah, but the page is down in the members area and he told me it would be up and running this afternoon 4/3, well i wait until i get home and guess what no bloody cancelation page.
Im a pretty reasonable guy and rarely get stressed but this is just getting stupid. if they dont sort it tomorrow ill just cancel my debit card with my bank and they can chase me, im not paying for a service like this. :mad:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2291)
  3. FTTC (1687)
  4. Building Digital UK (1626)
  5. Politics (1456)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1272)
  8. FTTH (1124)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1067)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (925)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules