Sponsored

New limits for Surfmax

el_denno

Was already pretty much over the limit before they emailed me (I live in a house with 6 students, all with computers, all using the internet and a couple gaming etc) so now we are screwed and on the bad boy pipe.

Does anyone else think it is rather convenient that the account cancellation is down just in time for these extreme changes in the service provided (a drop from 60gig to 15!!!) :shrug:?

I want out of Fast4 as soon as possible, they were good while they lasted but this ship is sinking fast.... I'm ringing tomorrow and asking for my MAC, all other ISPs I have been with can do this kind of basic stuff through the phone, so why can't fast4? They clearly need to offer an alternative if their online cancellation service has gone AWOL at this somewhat critical point!

I have been trying for days, if they don't give it to me I'll go to my bank and get the payments blocked. If they don't fix this we are all stuck and that is completely unacceptable!

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
When you ring if they refuse to supply the mac without using the cancel page, OFCOM said they have to supply at least 2 methods of Obtaining the MAC if their only method isn't working and you have a deadline to let them know you are not wanting the new term&conditions report this to OFCOM, their ADR and send them a copy.

IveBeenDone4

It all seems highly iffy that you can't cancel, I am starting to suspect that the following link may be related (read it through - and you may see where I am coming from).

Check this Link >>Related to the no "Cancel Account" page on Fast4???<<

Your views and idea's would be appreciated.

p.s. Just out of curiosity did anyone here who has now gone over the (let's just slip it in out of nowhere) 15Gb Limit, know it was coming (because you wouldn't have gone over now would you!!!????) - I think the least a decent ISP can do is give you a months notice (to ensure that you keep within the guide, don't you think?) - rather than shut the stable door after the horse has bolted!!!!! (or perhaps that's the reason for the 'bolt ons' (pun intended!))

el_denno

Cheers for the advice guys, they are definitely getting a strong phone call from me tomorrow to make my point perfectly clear that they cannot rely on the one method of cancellation (particularly when it seems so thoroughly ineffective) and that I do require my MAC code however they wish to get it to me, because these new terms are completely different to what I fist started paying for and also completely unsuitable for my needs.

If they won't give it to me and try and send me off with a promise (that they won't keep) that the service will be up shortly I will inform them I plan to go to Ofcom.

Oh and in response to IveBeenDone4, I had no idea that these 15gig limits were coming up until I got an email from fast4 and then, that very day, they slapped the 15gig limit on, very frustrating when I thought we had 60 to play with and now we have nothing! If I had known this 15 limit was coming I would have jumped ship while it was a dot on the horizon! I wouldn't of waited till it was actually here, I was fine with the 60 limit, that seemed reasonable for the price but 15 is completely inadequate. Not to mention not at all competitive with the other ISPs comparable to fast4 that are around at the moment, currently I am looking into TitanADSL on a recommendation from a friend and they seem far more professional.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
this is absolutely disgusting, I'm on 14.5 gig as of now and getting a new ISP take what, a week, 2?

anyone else this high as of now?

ive contacted them about the same thing, unlimited usage for the rest of this month like he above says, lets see...
We're on the 4th March; people have been commenting here for the past few weeks about restrictions and 60Gb as a limit and indeed, 60Gb has been displayed as the FUP amount since Christmas - so you ask what about me - I'm at 15Gb already and I wonder how you've managed to use so much in just three or four days?!

There are 31 days in march; if you've already used 15Gb so far, thats you on target for over 116Gb per month if you use your connection in the same pattern as your connection so far this month.

If you need a MAC code immediately, raise a ticket; you may not be able to close your account today (you will from tomorrow evening) but a MAC code can be supplied to you before you request to close your account.

theazz

Casual Member
going over 60 before did not incline cost, and was not announced by any email. in this, we have to pay to go over.

theres a FUP with penatly of limited peak speeds, and theres a plain cap.

im a part time freelance game artist and i pull lots of game assets off a comapny FTP every day. I don't mean to start a fight but as others have pointed out, we can't get a straight answer, this does not answer, some people have ALREADY gone over 15, so what about them?

Last edited:

mc6415

Pro Member
We're on the 4th March; people have been commenting here for the past few weeks about restrictions and 60Gb as a limit and indeed, 60Gb has been displayed as the FUP amount since Christmas - so you ask what about me - I'm at 15Gb already and I wonder how you've managed to use so much in just three or four days?!

There are 31 days in march; if you've already used 15Gb so far, thats you on target for over 116Gb per month if you use your connection in the same pattern as your connection so far this month.

If you need a MAC code immediately, raise a ticket; you may not be able to close your account today (you will from tomorrow evening) but a MAC code can be supplied to you before you request to close your account.
Maybe it was just a hectic few days online? We all have them every now and then, for example when I re-installed windows I had to re-download all my steam games, a good 6-7Gb but I was safe in the knowledge that I had a 60Gb limit that month, however if Fast4 had pulled something like this I would have done a bit one month and another bit the next month etc. There was no prior warning so You can't really blame the consumers if there close to the new limit which is a quarter of what they thought they'd get this month and what they paid for for this month.

IveBeenDone4

@PaulPlex

I for one am over the 15Gb (only just mind), however I did not know that you dictate when and how I used my 60Gb - I have been keeping an eye on my usage and sure I have used 15Gb in only a few days, but then this would trail off for a period and then continue (ie. if I have used 15Gb then that would be equivalent to just over a weeks usage (on average @ 60Gb per month) and therefore I would have to keep well under my approximate 2Gb limit per day - in order to get back to my average a day of 2Gb) - so don't come the 100Gb stuff with me.

Your company imposed a limit of 60Gb and I have kept to it (since knowing about it of course), but to impose a restriction of 15Gb out of nowhere when you have provided the suggestion of 60Gb per month - is damn out of order and you know it.

I appreciate that you work for these guys, but I hope you appreciate that I don't work for them and I am a customer and advanced notice (not 2 days) would be sensible to avoid this.

Some words that spring to mind are:-

Underhand, Fairplay... etc..

Last edited:

theazz

Casual Member
lol, your lucky, my steam account is over 20 gig in itself

and absolutely, what we do with it is irrelevent.

IveBeenDone4

@PaulPlex

Just on a side thought, Your Company email stated it would be in effect from the 5th March - just for your information my bandwidth is restricted (bay boy pipe) today, in 3 hours it will be 5th - so why the restriction now?

Sure I am leaving, but "You" as in company do not need to rub my nose in it - your just making things worse. A short while ago I thought F4 was ok, but it's changing on an hourly basis. Do F4 not implement somesort of damage limitation?

Last edited:

Capped4

Pro Member
After requesting a MAC code This now appears in my portal when clicking the "cancel account" button

Thank you for taking the time to complete the online cancellation process.

?????????????????????????

MAC countdown - 31hrs 15 mins - not received

Capped 4 if you can let me know your account ID i will check your account for the MAC code and forward this on to you if this is available.

moogaloo

Casual Member

I can't believe you have responded to the poor blokes who have fallen on the wrong side of the 15GB limit by slagging them of, for using so much bandwidh. What is wrong with you people? If you had said that you sympathise but this is just something you had to do, I might have some respect, but this! You are the worst company for customer services I think I have ever come accross. Congratulations.

rodtrotter

Casual Member
mac code

i got a mac code and they said that The online method (within your members area select My Account -> Cancel Account) is how you should cancel your account and a MAC code can be requested as a part of this process; this feature is now working correctly BUT ITS NOT WORKING WHAT THE F#@? IS GOING ON

Capped4

Pro Member
Good morning,

As the cost of bandwidth is too high, it is impossible to supply you with a service thtat exceeds 15Gb; this is not a decision we took lightly however had to be made.

We reserve the right to amend our terms of service and have advised you of this; if you wish to cancel your account because you are unwilling to accept the new terms of service, you are welcome to do so; indeed, I note that you have already gone through this process and your account is currently scheduled to close.

When you went through the cancellation process, you suggested the reason you were closing your account was because you ''do not have a BT landline any longer'' - since it is impossible to migrate a service to another ISP if the PSTN line has been stopped, no MAC code request has been passed on for you; I will however see if one can be generated for you manually and if this can be done, it will be sent to you later today.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Customer Services

This is my reply - words fail me , are they TOTALLY incompetent????

Thanks for your reply.

It is, unfortunately, grossly inaccurate. All I have requested at present is a MAC code. There have been no changes to my landline - it is the same line you connected me to in July ''07 and I am at a complete loss as to why anyone should think otherwise. (I contacted Paula at customer services at 14.17 on 03/03/08 - I assume there is a recording of this conversation)
Please do not force me to send a SAR request to fast4.

AS Fast4 have taken payment in advance for this service, you have agreed to provide the "unlimited" service for the term of this payment and I insist you do so.

It is not impossible to provide more than 15Gb - Unless Fast4 have purchased too little bulk bandwidth to meet their commitments, in which case I suggest this situation is remedied immediately. I think it more likely that Fast4 have decided it is commercially not viable - and decided to ignore their obligations to the customer.

If all was done as it should be, there is ample time to receive my MAC code (the request was made at 16.17 on 3/3/08 as stated yo have strict obligations with regard to the time allowed to furnish a MAC and this is the relevant time of request) and for my service to migrate, uninterrupted within the time of my pre-paid subscription. This should still happen

I can only assume that Paul has confused me with a different disgruntled customer- all I want now is a seamless transfer to another provider, but even that seems beyond these people's capabilities.

firestarter

Casual Member
I was told their online MAC generation tool would be operational on 5th March. This morning, with the tool still broke, I raised a ticket asking them to give me a MAC code through their support ticket system.

Their reply:
"The MAC code generateing and account cancellation tool is currently being fixed due to sending out incorrect MAC codes and formats, this is a bug with the new platform and we hope to get this resolved allowing users to request both the MAC and cancellation today."

So, ignore my request for a MAC code, and state what I already know :mad:

Capped4

Pro Member
Capped 4 if you can let me know your account ID i will check your account for the MAC code and forward this on to you if this is available.
Thank you, PM sent

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Good morning,

As the cost of bandwidth is too high, it is impossible to supply you with a service thtat exceeds 15Gb; this is not a decision we took lightly however had to be made.

We reserve the right to amend our terms of service and have advised you of this; if you wish to cancel your account because you are unwilling to accept the new terms of service, you are welcome to do so; indeed, I note that you have already gone through this process and your account is currently scheduled to close.

When you went through the cancellation process, you suggested the reason you were closing your account was because you ''do not have a BT landline any longer'' - since it is impossible to migrate a service to another ISP if the PSTN line has been stopped, no MAC code request has been passed on for you; I will however see if one can be generated for you manually and if this can be done, it will be sent to you later today.

Kind Regards,
Paul
Customer Services

This is my reply - words fail me , are they TOTALLY incompetent????

Thanks for your reply.

It is, unfortunately, grossly inaccurate. All I have requested at present is a MAC code. There have been no changes to my landline - it is the same line you connected me to in July ''07 and I am at a complete loss as to why anyone should think otherwise. (I contacted Paula at customer services at 14.17 on 03/03/08 - I assume there is a recording of this conversation)
Please do not force me to send a SAR request to fast4.

AS Fast4 have taken payment in advance for this service, you have agreed to provide the "unlimited" service for the term of this payment and I insist you do so.

It is not impossible to provide more than 15Gb - Unless Fast4 have purchased too little bulk bandwidth to meet their commitments, in which case I suggest this situation is remedied immediately. I think it more likely that Fast4 have decided it is commercially not viable - and decided to ignore their obligations to the customer.

If all was done as it should be, there is ample time to receive my MAC code (the request was made at 16.17 on 3/3/08 as stated yo have strict obligations with regard to the time allowed to furnish a MAC and this is the relevant time of request) and for my service to migrate, uninterrupted within the time of my pre-paid subscription. This should still happen

I can only assume that Paul has confused me with a different disgruntled customer- all I want now is a seamless transfer to another provider, but even that seems beyond these people's capabilities.
...I recognise that ticket response; if it is the answer I think it is, check your email box: have I not sent you your MAC code via email this morning?

Can you reply to that ticket if there is a problem and I'll advise you further?

Capped4

Pro Member
...I recognise that ticket response; if it is the answer I think it is, check your email box: have I not sent you your MAC code via email this morning?

Can you reply to that ticket if there is a problem and I'll advise you further?
Yes! MAC received, thank you, migration will begin within the hour.
Ticket has been replied to, (You've quoted it above) I would appreciate clarification on the status of cancellation (that I did not request, just the MAC) and the resolution of confusion of my landline status and ability to migrate.

The fact that Fast4 have accepted my advance payment for the service"as is" at time of acceptance of premium, and the terms should not have been varied until expiry of the pre-paid premium may be best passed to Fast4s legal department

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2537)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1259)
  8. Statistics (1113)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (923)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules