Sponsored Links

New NAS recommendations wanted

Hi all,

In the near future I need to buy a new NAS. I have had 2 Buffalo units, and the best way I can describe them is "slow, unreliable pieces of excrement". Or something similar. :)

At the moment all of my family photos are on my laptop, having had to spend a small fortune recovering them from a dead Buffalo (not a phrase I thought I'd ever use!)

I don't think my requirements are particularly unusual. I'm reasablyt technically minded but I'm simply not familiar with all of the brands and models out there. It doesn't have to be big-brand either - quite happy to go for a good-value non-branded product. What I'm looking for is:

- Min. 2-disk RAID

- 3 or 4Gb capacity per disk (6 or 8Gb in total), but happy to buy HDD's separately from enclosure

- In-built P2P client

- small form factor and quiet (it's going to have to fit in or behind a TV cabinet)

- Ethernet connectivity is fine, WiFi is a nice to have, but really not important

- I don't care about remote access

- I would prefer to have Cloud or online backup given that this will be used to store all of my family photo's

- Good value. I don't have huge amounts to spend but don't want buy spend the bare minimum and get rubbish.

- It's not made by Buffalo (just in case this wasn't already clear)

Thanks

I'm very happy with my QNAP HS-210 with 4Tb (2x2Tb) WD Red drives installed. Great control panel, every network service and app you could want. I have a chunk of mine set up as an iSCSI drive to give my NUC more "local" drive capacity. Very quiet too, mine sits under the TV as a part of my media setup.

I wouldn't recommend it for media transcoding, the ARM processor doesn't have the horsepower, but that's what I have the NUC for.

I have a Lenovo IX2 DL, not the best in the world, but I picked it up from Amazon for £60, plus £100 for 2x2TB Toshiba drives.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules