Sponsored Links

New Openreach ONT

philipel

Casual Member
Hi, I would like to change my current ONT (with BBU) to the current new one for purposes of space and I don't need a BBU.
Does anyone know if these are available (I asked m isp but they could not help)
I suppose I could just remove and use the unit from the old ONT but they look slightly different.
Any ideas ?
best to all
Phil

Sadly I don't think you can get the new ONT separately, unless the old one fails and you request a replacement via your ISP. As for using the old ONT independent of the BBU, I don't see why you couldn't but off-hand I can't recall if the supplied power adapter needs to plug into the BBU first or the ONT first. If it plugs into the ONT then you should just be able to disconnect the BBU, but if it doesn't then I'm not 100% sure if the power port on the ONT is of the same spec as the one on the BBU.

You don't need to have the BBU connected - my ONT has only ever been connected directly to the power adapter. I asked my installer to just install the actual ONT and not the combined box but he wouldn't do it - said the larger box was needed to hold the spare length of fibre cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
It turns out that the power supply goes into the BBU first and is NOT the same spec.as the power inlet on the ONT sadly.So the BBU cannot just be removed and bypassed to the ONT.
Just have to wait and see if I can lay my hands on a new small unit.
Thanks for replying Brookheather and Mark.

I am surprised I thought Openreach had used a consistent ONT in the 8110 casing. The Echolife HG8110-20 (single port with BBU) can be powered directly (12v 1 amp) from the plug in transformer or via the BBU (12v 1.5 amp) passthrough lead. The BBU cable is for that purpose only from the BBU unit (PDC18S12).
I also assumed that the "current ONT" highlighted recently by MJ was the simply the same ONT unit minus the BBU socket.

As highlighted by Brookheather the case allows for the "spare length of fibre cable" which I understand is now catered for by an external enclosure and the case helps with cable management if rear fed.

They are very similar but not the "same".
The "push in " bits on the BBU and ONT are different and not interchangeable.
Phil

Sorry, I assumed you had the compact Huawei HG8110-20 unit. Sounds like you have an earlier ONT setup using the HUAWEI HG8240 the size of a bathroom cabinet. No wonder you want to reduce its size. If the power socket is different you can get converters from say 2.5 to 3.0 mm so the BBU power supply can be used on the HG8240 which also needs 11–14 V DC, 1A.

Going forward the ONT provided by the network operator should not be swapped out (except by them). It is not like DSL routers. Backward compatibility with the OLT at the other end may not be guaranteed.

Attachments

• newer echolife ont.jpg
    newer echolife ont.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Early Openreach ONT.jpg
    Early Openreach ONT.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,946
Sponsored Links
I made the same assumption, sorry. Not seen the much older ONTs being installed for awhile now :).

Sorry guys just seen replies .
I have not been very clear. I do have the newer EchoLife (on left in picture from Meatball) . The reason for wanting a smaller unit is that I live in a bungalow and the line comes in right next to the dining room table so I just wanted it to be as unobtrusive as possible.
Having looked at this the two problems are the power supply (easily overcome by a new generic supply --about £8) but more difficult is the excess cable handling as alluded to by Brookheather. There is nowhere to conceal/protect the excess cable without the casing which holds the BBU and the ONT which stores it inside.
When I see an Openreach engineer I will ask where it goes on their new unit.
Many thanks for your replies.
Philip

According to the OR priclist for FTTP you should be able to order a "Customer Premises Equipment Replacement - Replacement of damaged or missing ONT" from your ISP. The cost to them is £35 for the ONT and I'd imaging an engineer visit charge would be added too. Openreach FTTP pricing

Would OR replace the older ONT for a new one as a fault to rule it out or just to get old hardware renewed, If its the large one then its not the nicest of things in your hall or livingroom

Sponsored Links
Would OR replace the older ONT for a new one as a fault to rule it out or just to get old hardware renewed, If its the large one then its not the nicest of things in your hall or livingroom

When investigating a fault with my line a few years back, the BT OR guy swapped out my older junction box with the then brand new IP version without comment, even though the fault was external; so there is a good chance they would fit the newer equipment if they carried it.
(Do they carry it??)

Not sure one of the privatised drones would do it though.

Why not ask if Openreach will relocate the ONT as it is not in the room you wish to use the internet from. I know one person who got his moved to another room.

That's a reasonable excuse. People do renovate and change their homes, so sometimes moving the ONT is unavoidable.

If yours is the set up on the left, the power supply to the BBU can be plugged directly in to the ONT power socket bottom left.
the additional white cable between them is just for monitoring.
Before the newer stand alone version came out, they fitted these exact models without the BBU.

Hi Green Meanie
I'm afraid that is no longer the case. My unit is the one on the left and was fitted about 3 months ago.
Logically what you say makes sense but the power supply into the BBU "male part" has a metal sleeve all along it .The supply cable from the BBU to the ONT has a "male part" with the metal bit only going halfway up and the rest plastic so they are not identical.(sorry for lack of correct technical terms!)
This is easily overcome by buying a generic off the shelf power supply to go directly into the ONT.
The current ones are a bit like the pic.
Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 11.51.08.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, As originally advised the BBU power supply can be used directly to the ONT. Although the plugs look different they are the same size/use. So you do not need to buy an adaptor or generic power supply.
To confirm I have just tried it on a spare Huawei HG8110-20 unit.

If you remove the ONT from the 8110 mounting case you will not have any cable management. Therefore unless there is a back box or conduit you will not be able to loose the slack on the fibre cable. Without knowing your detail it is hard to advise. There are 3rd party plastic enclosures that would facilitate the 8110 ONT and the cable ends.
IMG_0292.JPG

You are right. Cable management is the problem. My neighbour has just been fitted with the nee ONT (without BBU).
They are away at the moment but will check out how theirs is managed when they return and will report back
Thanks for all your help.
Phil

Just a note. Remember the ONT is owned by the network provider. Along with technical compatibility is GPON security. Rogue ONTs simply cannot be added to the network but often need to be registered.

Previously OR used to provide either an External Customer Splicing Point or an Internal Splicing Point (see pic). The 8110 Enclosure was an attempt to consolidate these into a neat solution, rear fed, for developers. As OR passes responsibility and costs to the ISP for things like the BBU they will be looking to reduce their costs so they may change their practice and we await a newer ONT without the Tel socket. Some recent houses I have seen appear to have an External Splicing Point however at this time the OR Developers Guide appear to still show the 8110 Enclosure.

Attachments

• Early OR Developers Guide.jpg
    Early OR Developers Guide.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,477
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules