Sponsored

New Order

scootaufc

Casual Member
Hi,

Was wondering if someone could clarify this matter for me.

I signed up with Fast4 yesterday and queried my proposed speed with Mark from Fast4 before signing up. He stated that I should average around 3mb. This is fine with me but I got speaking to a couple of neighbours last night who are both with different suppliers and they are averaging between 5.5mb to 6.5mb.

They are fed from the same exchange and even the same junction box right outside my house. How do they find out my max speed? Do they just set it to maximum and then work it out from that or do they set it to 3mb from the off?

I really don't want to be getting 3mb when I could pay slightly more and achieve double that.

Any advice on this would be great.

TIA.

Scott

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
if you are getting ADSL MAX then the speed us (upto) 8Meg since lve re-connected lve been getting between 300/550k speeds it generally varies depending on the server also the first 10 days are a training period ofr ADSL MAX services, regardless theoretically what you were told was a speed they knew you would get or that somehow you were like my mate who was connected to a different line but somehow that line was too long to get more than 512 when his neighbour got 6.5Meg its sods law really in those scenarios.

scootaufc

Casual Member
you can check on the speed yourself on BTs checker http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome put in the adsl number and it will tell you what your line can receive.
Thanks Kits. This is what I get from that page! Excellent.

For Telephone Number 0*********0 on Exchange ALLOWAY

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
From that I would plan on 5mb and anythying over is a bonus.

Your profile will be set after 10 days training if your internat wiring is spot on then you will get the max possible.

Worth a read is www.kitz.co.uk some good tips there to get your max possible.

just reread your post are you sure it was a mark you spoke to at fast4 as i wasnt aware they had one?

Last edited:
Hi Kits we do indeed have a Mark, he works on our CS desk but qwe are about to lose hime as he is off to OZ to become a Scuba instructor.

If you do whave any questiosn thought you can direct them towards myself and i will help out.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2301)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1628)
  5. Politics (1463)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1132)
  9. Statistics (1120)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1071)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (933)
  13. Wireless Internet (932)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules