Sponsored

New problem

yarobabbara

Casual Member
Hi

I have a new problem with my aol connection today. Basically here are my stats when my router is plugged into the master socket:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 160 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 43 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 23 db

My stats when plugged into the master test socket are as follows:

Connection Speed 5056 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 3 db 26 db

A few days ago it was syncing fine at around 3000kbps in the regular socket but now its 160kbps.

Also can someone explain the reason why there's a higher attenuation when im in the master test socket??

Thanks

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
The much higher sync rate in the test socket is the cause of the slightly higher reported attenuation:- to achieve the higher sync rate modems allocate more bits at higher frequencies which I believe are subject to greater attenuation.

Try the router in the normal master socket with everything else unplugged from the phone sockets in case you have a faulty filter or telephone. If that doesn't sort it you'll have to try disconnecting indivisual extensions to track down the fault.

yarobabbara

Casual Member
OK, i've tried everything you've said.

I have an extension socket in another room which had a telephone directly plugged into it without a splitter. I unplugged that and plugged the router into the master socket. The results are as follows:

Connection Speed 3808 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 26 db

The problem though is that i need this phone to be connected. When the phone was plugged in, i had a few problems with it. Every few seconds i hear static. I reported a fault at BT faults online now and the results show that BT know that there's a fault with the line and that the case has been open since October 5th.

What should i do now? Im thinking that since the fault case has been open since October 5th, BT have just passed on. Shall i contact BT by phone?

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
BT would charge (and far too much) to fix faults your side of the test socket, as your sync was ok in the test socket I would not recommend calling them out.

OK, i've tried everything you've said.

I have an extension socket in another room which had a telephone directly plugged into it without a splitter. I unplugged that and plugged the router into the master socket. The results are as follows:

By no splitter, do you mean no adsl filter?

The telephone needs to be connected through an adsl filter. Either plug an adsl filter into the extension socket, or ideally if the extension is not used for adsl, connect it through an adsl filter at the master socket end so the whole extension is filtered.

If the extension is hardwired you can buy an adsl faceplate filter that replaces the lower panel on nte5 master sockets - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm, if it is a plug in extension a good quality plug in adsl filter will do.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £16.80 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2587)
  2. FTTP (2362)
  3. FTTC (1700)
  4. Building Digital UK (1645)
  5. Politics (1490)
  6. Openreach (1468)
  7. Business (1288)
  8. FTTH (1168)
  9. Statistics (1130)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1087)
  11. Fibre Optic (994)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (949)
  13. Wireless Internet (946)
  14. 4G (942)
  15. Virgin Media (892)
  16. EE (617)
  17. Sky Broadband (616)
  18. TalkTalk (596)
  19. Vodafone (557)
  20. 3G (424)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules