Sponsored Links

New unlimited ISP and Router

johnro

Pro Member
hi there

i'm new here and it looks like i'm here to stay.
a lot of experienced members and some good feedback is given.
read a lot and it seems that now i need your help

right now i'm tethering unlimited 5g EE through an iphone . all good, no issues for my needs.
i'm living in Croydon and i have 5G indoor/outdoor from all 4 majors

i need to either move to a new router+ isp at home or to learn how to teach my s21 5g to use 3 sims at the same time (i need good coverage for work and the vodafone 100GB 5G is a bit crap for myslef (i'm driving and i need good/responsive at least 4g reception))

all i've read about routers in here is mostly beginning of the year products. i was just wondering if you somehow know of any "end of year" or "soon to be" releases. so far it seems that dog's b..llocks is H122-373. my needs are simple and that one seems to have a lot of things i already have. is there a similar or better but simpler 5G router i could use? smtg like a 5G modem maybe (good reception, fast 5g speeds, carrier aggregation or all that'll take to get the best out of a 5G unlimited contract) . for my lan i'm using xiaomi ax9000 and ax1800 so my wifi/lan needs are covered with those

i'm also unsure about other networks and FUP. i have an 18TB hard drive on the way. with EE's 600GB one, it'll take me years to fill it up, if i don't go overboard , or , let's say 1 week, if i really do.

i've seen a Three 5g unlimited deal. £10/month for a year. pricewise is very good i believe.
only roaming FUP is mentioned. is Three really not bothered if you go huge in a month and then behave your traffic for a few more?
(Three Advanced Unlimited Data Sim Only (12mths))

looked at VOXI . that was/is £30/month i believe. any recent issues with them by any chance?

i can't fault Vodafone where i live. where do they stand with heavy traffic?

not many talks about O2. i wonder why

Last edited:
My current usage so far with 2 weeks to go this month on Three is just over 1tb, and no issues so far, I once did almost 2tb on Vodafone unlimited max and didn't have any issues so I think you will be good.

Sponsored Links
I think the networks tend to be quite lax with the rules providing you're not taking the p**

It is a bit annoying they aren't more transparent with what is classed as "excessive" but i've heard from @Lucian that EE also doesn't seem to mind either.

I'd also be curious to know of a good (not expensive) 5G router. All the ones i've found are £400+ :(

@sof006 wait till next year, if chip shortage goes away they should come down in price..

Sponsored Links
I get 100Mbps dl on 4G from my local O2 tower, but they are not so attractive on price.

Sponsored Links
Anyone using or maybe saw a god 5g dongle by any chance? I have a NUC I could use as a router of some sort ...

Anyone using or maybe saw a god 5g dongle by any chance? I have a NUC I could use as a router of some sort ...
Lol.. no.
I also use a Nuc as a router, great solution.

Lol.. no.
I also use a Nuc as a router, great solution.
Do you have a Dual LAN port NUC?

I keep toying with this idea because I run OpenWrt on my router because I require some fairly specific software running to keep my internet working abroad.

OpenWrt works fine on my Linksys router but it's not that great and does have it's quirks. I have multiple APs around the house and I don't even use the WiFi on the Linksys itself, I just need good performance on the device itself.

Sponsored Links
is anyone using a ZTE MC801A by any chance? or maybe an OPPO 5G CPE Omni

it has more numbers then CPE Pro 2 and it's 1/3 cheaper (£275 +/-)

Last edited:
@johnro no experience with either of them, but if you do buy one, do share with us how it went.

You know, there's another option.. Perhaps I suggested it before: why not get a cheap 5G phone?
For example I'm tethering for tests from a Xiaomi 10T Lite 5G (EE) and I'm getting about the same results as with my CPE Win. You could get one off ebay and be done with it.

@johnro with EE you'd be behind a (CG)NAT, so no direct public IP address, making port forwards futile.

That said, if you get a device you can root (such as the one I pointed out), then you can use something like AFWall (iptables based) to do your firewalling and I bet there has to be a way to do port forwarding, too.. But as I said above, not sure what you'd be forwarding since you'd be behind CGNAT.
The only ones who do not use CGNAT are Three for their "broadband" APN, "3internet".

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules