Sponsored Links

New unlimited ISP and Router

I'm having to perma hotspot till sunday on mine 😒. Let's just say BT's routers aren't very resilient. I rang them and they've sent me ANOTHER smart hub 2. This is my third one lmao. It's blue so connected but won't hand out IP Addresses. The hub manager is unresponsive and if something does connect to it, the web is completely dead.

I think the networks tend to be quite lax with the rules providing you're not taking the p**

It is a bit annoying they aren't more transparent with what is classed as "excessive" but i've heard from @Lucian that EE also doesn't seem to mind either.

I'd also be curious to know of a good (not expensive) 5G router. All the ones i've found are £400+ :(
Try a 5G mobile as MiFi or with a cheap router that allows 5G tethering (ASUS), I found better performance that way versus 5G modem (that’s entirely localised though).

One thing I noticed during speed tests was Mediatek 5G 700 chipset is more stable than Qualcomm X50 modem in Mixx3, X51 in Moto G50 or X55 in a iPhone Mini, speeds were also marginally faster on Mediatek 5G.

I never once hit 300Mbps ever on Qualcomm 5G in Voda/o2 in over the last year was, usually 285 max some 290 peaks, 295 av on Mediatek with 300-303 peaks.

Ping, jitter and test stability on Mediatek 700 5G were all significantly better on Realme mobile than a iPhone mini four times the price, let alone Qualcomm X50 (Mixx3) or X51 (Moto G50).

Seems as though Mediatek is the way for 5G modem thus far, so try a mobile or modem with them for testing.

Yes yes yes

After reading in here for a month+, after researching prices and specs for a week+, I've decided to go with OPPO 5G CPE Omni

Went to OPPO, asked for shops to buy it from, they've said "on your bike". Talk with China, as its not globaly sold
Asked China, they've said "just forget about it" . Parts are an issue for a long time and it won't be stocked .

You can check the alternatives :
1. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO 2 H122-373
2. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO H112-370 WIFI 6
3. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO H112-372
4. OPPO 5G CPE T1
5. OPPO 5G CPE T1A WIFI 6
6. NETGEAR MR5200
7. ZTE 5G CPE Outdoor WiFi MC7010
8. ZTE 5G CPE MC801A WiFi 6 Router

Besides being a good kit all together, I believe cpe pro 2 gained a lot of market by just being available out there, compared to all the others.
Gonna have to read more and cross out the ones that don't have the right bands/support for all today's UK networks and why not, tomorrow's too.(there's where I'm gonna need your help)

Also I've ordered and got myself one if three's free 200mb every month data sim. Just to try the network and see what I'm getting. After being bounced back and forth on onlines support, they've said that oh, we're having technical problems with rewarding your monthly allowance and pls give us more time. 2 hrs advertised on their page, 3 days and counting so far :)
It was a nice little £10/month unlimited deal that expired Sunday night....
Where was Three/£10 deal? I’ll keep a eye out.

I’m porting out to Lycamobile 30 day £19 unlimited 4G as a stop gap from Voda 5G £35pm until Three 5G goes live as G-Fast availability went live at home but I’d like Three anyway for elsewhere, for £10 a month I’ll contract past 30 days ;)

Yes yes yes

After reading in here for a month+, after researching prices and specs for a week+, I've decided to go with OPPO 5G CPE Omni

Went to OPPO, asked for shops to buy it from, they've said "on your bike". Talk with China, as its not globaly sold
Asked China, they've said "just forget about it" . Parts are an issue for a long time and it won't be stocked .

You can check the alternatives :
1. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO 2 H122-373
2. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO H112-370 WIFI 6
3. HUAWEI 5G CPE PRO H112-372
4. OPPO 5G CPE T1
5. OPPO 5G CPE T1A WIFI 6
6. NETGEAR MR5200
7. ZTE 5G CPE Outdoor WiFi MC7010
8. ZTE 5G CPE MC801A WiFi 6 Router

Besides being a good kit all together, I believe cpe pro 2 gained a lot of market by just being available out there, compared to all the others.
Gonna have to read more and cross out the ones that don't have the right bands/support for all today's UK networks and why not, tomorrow's too.(there's where I'm gonna need your help)

Also I've ordered and got myself one if three's free 200mb every month data sim. Just to try the network and see what I'm getting. After being bounced back and forth on onlines support, they've said that oh, we're having technical problems with rewarding your monthly allowance and pls give us more time. 2 hrs advertised on their page, 3 days and counting so far :)
It was a nice little £10/month unlimited deal that expired Sunday night....
Where was Three/£10 deal? I’ll keep a eye out.

I’m porting out to Lycamobile 30 day £19 unlimited 4G as a stop gap from Voda 5G £35pm until Three 5G goes live as G-Fast availability went live at home but I’d like Three anyway for elsewhere, for £10 a month I’ll contract past 30 days
The ZTE MC801 and MC801A have appeared on ebay recently. There seems to be more than one flavour though. Some have provision for external antenna and telephone in various permutations.
I’m still waiting for someone to try the new Three router. I’m hoping it comes unlocked.
The new 4G Hub?

I’m guessing they’ll do the good old exhaust unlock like they do on the 5G ones so your only option is return or use their network. This is usual you only if it’s three brand or used three firmware.
4G Hub is for keeps, 5G is on ‘loan‘ well that’s what third party care told me in India.

Unless Three changed 4G Hub 2021 terms, which would mean India will update their scripts in 2024.

4G Hub is for keeps, 5G is on ‘loan‘ well that’s what third party care told me in India.

Unless Three changed 4G Hub 2021 terms, which would mean India will update their scripts in 2024.
5G is on loan till you have fully paid off your contract.

I'm having to perma hotspot till sunday on mine 😒. Let's just say BT's routers aren't very resilient. I rang them and they've sent me ANOTHER smart hub 2. This is my third one lmao. It's blue so connected but won't hand out IP Addresses. The hub manager is unresponsive and if something does connect to it, the web is completely dead.
BT/EE products & service is like its nearly dead self, £20B+ debts and still getting Gov handouts nearly 40 years after privatisation was meant to end its public funding.

BT's total debt last quarter was £22.837 billion, (re)negotiations (£200M annual payments) with its pension fund (that’s it’s due almost £8B) to hide that debt.

BT has never been profitable except to shareholders who get paid when debts are rising, BT is the classic case of having all the (monopoly) assets & showing how not to run a business.

Good luck with your experience of them Bubbles!

BT/EE products & service is like its nearly dead self, £20B+ debts and still getting Gov handouts nearly 40 years after privatisation was meant to end its public funding.

BT's total debt last quarter was £22.837 billion, (re)negotiations (£200M annual payments) with its pension fund (that’s it’s due almost £8B) to hide that debt.

BT has never been profitable except to shareholders who get paid when debts are rising, BT is the classic case of having all the (monopoly) assets & showing how not to run a business.

Good luck with your experience of them Bubbles!
I've got to ask have you, have joined just to voice your vendetta against BT because that's all I've seen on the forums today. Before you say I have no love for BT but anyways had a reliable and fast connection from EE

I've got to ask have you, have joined just to voice your vendetta against BT because that's all I've seen on the forums today. Before you say I have no love for BT but anyways had a reliable and fast connection from EE
No vendetta, regional issues.
Only place EE is great (slow band 20) coverage in Scotland outside the 7 cities is where the gov spent £800 million on BT subsides to improve it, that’s ontop of the billions for Emergency Services Network & Rural Shared that the U.K. Gov paid EE/BT for.

It is a dysfunctional company that’s never had no debt or fit for purpose management and it shows especially in EE Scotland, higher 1800MHz x 2 merger, close most the Orange sites down who has superior coverage/sites over T-Mobile 1800MHz, add 4G 800MHz... and pray. Then go begging to every UK gov for money.

1984 - Margaret Thatcher “stop public funding Post Office Telephones and pay down Gov borrowings”

2024 - BT “plea$e $ir can I have$ $omemore grant$”

Facts are facts unfortunately. The ex public body still runs like a public body.

Micromanaging via bands after taking public cash isn’t on.

I've been with BT since the 90s, not a problem with them. The only issue is their current routers are not very forgiving and break at the drop of a hat. I had a hub 2 (not a smart hub 2) for nearly 6 years until I upgraded my package and that gave me a hub 5. I have the hybrid connect which works well and I also use other BT products in my house such as the whole home WiFi and their BT House phones. I have a reasonable deal with them, I recently moved my mobiles away from the to 3 as it was more data for the same price but BT Speed limit. I don't really care about how much debt they are in, all I want is a nice, stable and reliable service which is what I get for the most part.

So they’ve changed that term too! Used to be return at end of minimum term or contract whichever came first.
That's what they told me when I had a 5G hub anyways, also from India tech support. I returned it within the first 14 days though as the router was pants. The service was fine on 4G and my neighbors 5G phone (pixel 5) on 3 could get 500Mbps+ down.

That's what they told me when I had a 5G hub anyways, also from India tech support. I returned it within the first 14 days though as the router was pants. The service was fine on 4G and my neighbors 5G phone (pixel 5) on 3 could get 500Mbps+ down.
You never know what to believe from that third party in India about terms do you.

Interesting, you had 5G problems as the sister Vodafone HUAWEI 5G Gigacube (pre 5G launch) was pants here on LTE with carrier aggregation, a £225 cheaper HUAWEI 4x4 Mimo whipped its ass on stability and speed with the same Voda sim.

Obviously Voda got their backwards Cigagube back ASAP.

I've been with BT since the 90s, not a problem with them. The only issue is their current routers are not very forgiving and break at the drop of a hat. I had a hub 2 (not a smart hub 2) for nearly 6 years until I upgraded my package and that gave me a hub 5. I have the hybrid connect which works well and I also use other BT products in my house such as the whole home WiFi and their BT House phones. I have a reasonable deal with them, I recently moved my mobiles away from the to 3 as it was more data for the same price but BT Speed limit. I don't really care about how much debt they are in, all I want is a nice, stable and reliable service which is what I get for the most part.
Unfortunately here BTis not that reliable service at all, mobile signal B20 defaulting & G-Fast that runs 100-130Mbps under it estimate usually, sometimes it’s only 100Mbps short.

Still at least I’ve got actual broadband that when it loses a third of speed it can still stream HD/4K! That’s the most important part really, but Openreach won’t fix the lines fault between the cabinet & house <100 metres away.

Nope, before you ask, I’m in a major city not the sticks.

Unfortunately here BTis not that reliable service at all, mobile signal B20 defaulting & G-Fast that runs 100-130Mbps under it estimate usually, sometimes it’s only 100Mbps short.

Still at least I’ve got actual broadband that when it loses a third of speed it can still stream HD/4K! That’s the most important part really, but Openreach won’t fix the lines fault between the cabinet & house <100 metres away.

Nope, before you ask, I’m in a major city not the sticks.
I'm in a village in the outskirts of bradford with full three 100Mhz 5G for some reason 🤣

You never know what to believe from that third party in India about terms do you.

Interesting, you had 5G problems as the sister Vodafone HUAWEI 5G Gigacube (pre 5G launch) was pants here on LTE with carrier aggregation, a £225 cheaper HUAWEI 4x4 Mimo whipped its ass on stability and speed with the same Voda sim.

Obviously Voda got their backwards Cigagube back ASAP.
At first it worked all ok once i had figured out the sweet spot in my house, one day and then it stopped. The unit showed 5g and 4g and wifi was on but no throughput was achievable. Called three and got the usual we'll send a new sim but that same original sim worked perfectly in my B535 from my old 4G services.

At first it worked all ok once i had figured out the sweet spot in my house, one day and then it stopped. The unit showed 5g and 4g and wifi was on but no throughput was achievable. Called three and got the usual we'll send a new sim but that same original sim worked perfectly in my B535 from my old 4G services.
Yup RTR.

Voda tried the same with me, I said I tried other network sims for the same result, doesn’t perform at all near the £325 price the MiFi it’s replacing is working better, just send a returns bag thanks.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules