Sponsored Links

New unlimited ISP and Router

ok ok

so, i've had a lot of hours on my hand (not), moved a few things around and managed to sort myself with 2 PC's and 1 Router that have wifi 6E.

done a few tests back and forth and not happy with what i'm seeing.
i'm very new to iperf/jperf

what is wrong with this picture?

why so low speeds vs max connection rate?

(i'm trying to get myself ready for when 2.5GBps speeds will be all over the place)
Probably windows 11 lol

ok ok

so, i've had a lot of hours on my hand (not), moved a few things around and managed to sort myself with 2 PC's and 1 Router that have wifi 6E.

done a few tests back and forth and not happy with what i'm seeing.
i'm very new to iperf/jperf

what is wrong with this picture?

why so low speeds vs max connection rate?

(i'm trying to get myself ready for when 2.5GBps speeds will be all over the place)
Try also a test with file transfers, say between Filezilla server and client. Multiple transfers at the same time.

yes yes yes

managed to get a cheap h122-373 on ebay. brand new unbranded, crisp and cheap (£228.85 (yes, that low))

this is the firmware i have atm and it seems it's the last one

based on your experience , what should i start with? what apps to load and what to turn off? already turned off firmware updates
i'm with Three unlimited

it also has VOIP in the menu. i'd really would like to have a phone connected to it too. any chance you could point me towards a guide pls or maybe some examples of phones to go with?
i was thinking on VOLTE

it's been on for 30 min now and out of excitement i don't know where to start :)

thanks for your time

yes yes yes

managed to get a cheap h122-373 on ebay. brand new unbranded, crisp and cheap (£228.85 (yes, that low))

this is the firmware i have atm and it seems it's the last one

based on your experience , what should i start with? what apps to load and what to turn off? already turned off firmware updates
i'm with Three unlimited

it also has VOIP in the menu. i'd really would like to have a phone connected to it too. any chance you could point me towards a guide pls or maybe some examples of phones to go with?
i was thinking on VOLTE

it's been on for 30 min now and out of excitement i don't know where to start :)

thanks for your time
If it's working, leave it be :)

I've heard some stories of firmware upgrades that degrade performance so turning off updates sounds like a good start.

I think ZeroTier is probably the easiest way to achieve this, then. You can access your home network easily from behind CGNAT this way also. The only thing you need to have a device capable of running zerotier on your network. So a Pi, OpenWrt, Linux/PC/Mac etc.
Can you provide more info on how to do this please? I need to open port 10001 to access my security alarm panel remotely. Thanks

Can you provide more info on how to do this please? I need to open port 10001 to access my security alarm panel remotely. Thanks
Create an account with zerotier, install zerotier on a device that's always running inside your home, then configure a default route via the zerotier network interface to direct traffic the IP of your home network via it.

I think the networks tend to be quite lax with the rules providing you're not taking the p**

It is a bit annoying they aren't more transparent with what is classed as "excessive" but i've heard from @Lucian that EE also doesn't seem to mind either.
EE will now Speed Cap you once you hit 601gb of Data Use on new UL Plans.

They cut off your 5G Connection and then give you a reduced Speed 4G Only Service.

EE will now Speed Cap you once you hit 601gb of Data Use on new UL Plans.

They cut off your 5G Connection and then give you a reduced Speed 4G Only Service.
Is that always the case now? I thought it was a prioritisation depending on local load?

I just ordered an EE sim to test it out as Three has been ok but unstable. A strict enforcement of the FUP would be a deal breaker.

Is that always the case now? I thought it was a prioritisation depending on local load?

I just ordered an EE sim to test it out as Three has been ok but unstable. A strict enforcement of the FUP would be a deal breaker.
Seems that way on all new Contracts, if you've taken out a Monthly Contract test it during your 14 Days is up.

Create an account with zerotier, install zerotier on a device that's always running inside your home, then configure a default route via the zerotier network interface to direct traffic the IP of your home network via it.
Thanks. I need to give the alarm panel an IP address from the ZeroTier vpn. How do I do that? I can connect a rasberrypi and log into ZeroTier and allocate the rasberry an IP but I can’t do that with an alarm panel? I need an IP for the panel so that I can connect to it from the WAN.

So look at what the IP is assigned to your local network device in the zerotier control panel for the device. You'll need this.

You also need to know the local network IP address, such as 192.168.1.1

In the ZeroTier control panel you'll want to set the managed route as follows

192.168.1.0/24 via (IP of your device on ZeroTier)

For example if your zerotier IP local network device was 192.168.20.25 and your local network was 192.168.0.1

You'd configure it so that

192.168.0.0/24 goes via 192.168.20.25

If you need more assistance, attach screenshots and be specific. This setting will route all of your local network IPs via the zerotier tunnel.

Whatever your current IP router is, the last digit should be changed to 0/24 so all local network IPs go via the zerotier tunnel.

So look at what the IP is assigned to your local network device in the zerotier control panel for the device. You'll need this.

You also need to know the local network IP address, such as 192.168.1.1

In the ZeroTier control panel you'll want to set the managed route as follows

192.168.1.0/24 via (IP of your device on ZeroTier)

For example if your zerotier IP local network device was 192.168.20.25 and your local network was 192.168.0.1

You'd configure it so that

192.168.0.0/24 goes via 192.168.20.25

If you need more assistance, attach screenshots and be specific. This setting will route all of your local network IPs via the zerotier tunnel.

Whatever your current IP router is, the last digit should be changed to 0/24 so all local network IPs go via the zerotier tunnel.
Firstly, thank you for your time.
I do not know how to assign a ZT network IP address for the device in my local ( 192.168.1….. ) network.
I understand by your reply that I am able to bring all LAN IP address over onto the ZT VLAN but I can’t see how.

Have you created an account at my.zerotier.com?

You need to do that first and create your network. The network will have it's own IP range.

You then should use the zerotier app on your computer or whatever and connect it using the network ID. Over on the website this device will pop up and you can tick the box to allow it access, it will then be assigned a ZT IP.
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.13.03.png

Then further up the page there is the managed routes section. If your local network router IP is 192.168.1.1 then you should enter:

192.168.1.0/24 then in the via box enter the ZT IP of the device that you've used to connect your homenetwork to ZT, so in my case as the picture 192.168.192.153.

Then when you connect another device such as your phone or laptop from outside of your network to ZT, obviously allow it on the website too, you'll be able to access your local LAN.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules