Sponsored

new user does not work

mrzoot

Top Member
yesterday i changed to the new maxsurf user name and now have no connection, tried again this morning and still nothing

checked i had typed it in correctly even shut off the router for a couple of minutes, tried the old user name and does not work either

have phoned to report the problem and will raise a ticket as well i think

just wondered if anyone else had the same problem (my change over date was 12/2/08)

on a seperate note has any used freeola i may move to them when we all get limited, i am mainly interested if they are good for gaming and if anyone knows if they do truly port throttle (they say they do not)

cheers

alared

Casual Member
I changed username on the 11th Feb and couldn`t get connected.
But I must admit it turned out to be my own fault.
Although I changed my username in the network connections dial up box -------- I carried on clicking on the shortcut on my desktop, which of course didn`t work!!!!

As regards changing ISP`s -------------- this seems to be a minefield with ALL of them promising the earth and generally ALL of them disappointing in one way or another.

Mr Zoot your issue we are looking into this and the error code that you are gettin (errror 797) seems to be an issue with yur modem and it not being recognised, this said it was working as you said previously so we are looking in to this for you, can you out of interest try another price or hardware a router/modem to see if you can connect with this or it is a network issue, this way we can isolate the fault a bit more.

mrzoot

Top Member
reset the router tonight and all is well

though speed seems to be a bit lacking i shall see how it goes

thanks

Mr Zoot where we have moved platform users are once again going to have the training period on thier line , similar to when you sign up to ADSL or migrate to a new provider. If you bear with us while this process takes place your speed should settle towards the upper region of your MAX speeds.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
lm not so sure thats true... when l left EurISP for Virgin my profile was somewhere around 3500 when my MSR was over 2meg higher in the 5000+ mark l spent months trying to regain my original speed as l was assuming my profile had been capped after sync loss issues disconnects etc... after moving and some talking to regulars here they mentioned the MSR and FTR which l found out... l approached Virgin and asked and they told me my MSR was: 5120 and my FTR was: 400 l never reached my usual speeds until Virgin reset my profile and l went through the training period again, from what l heard migrating doesnt reset the profile so transferring youll keep your usual limit, unless you cease and restart or regrade supposedly it doesnt reset (bare in mind this is all lve been told as an explanation to my issues of not gaining my original speed back).

mrzoot

Top Member
cannot say i have seen the fluctuation of a training period just seemed to be just under 1meg less then i was on eurisp but if it stays at this speed and ping i will be a happy man (till you charge me £25 for the privledge)

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
mrzoot use the BT speed test to see what your IP profile sync and actual throughput

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
lm not so sure thats true... when l left EurISP for Virgin my profile was somewhere around 3500 when my MSR was over 2meg higher in the 5000+ mark l spent months trying to regain my original speed as l was assuming my profile had been capped after sync loss issues disconnects etc... after moving and some talking to regulars here they mentioned the MSR and FTR which l found out... l approached Virgin and asked and they told me my MSR was: 5120 and my FTR was: 400 l never reached my usual speeds until Virgin reset my profile and l went through the training period again, from what l heard migrating doesnt reset the profile so transferring youll keep your usual limit, unless you cease and restart or regrade supposedly it doesnt reset (bare in mind this is all lve been told as an explanation to my issues of not gaining my original speed back).
:nod: There will not be a training period unless the connection is switched between standard adsl max and max premium.

However, it looks like mrzoot was one of the customers that Fast4 put on an adslmax premium connection at no extra charge:-

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?p=195684#post195684

BT wholesale charge about £4 + vat extra per month for max premium, so he may have been switched to a standard adslmax connection as part of the migration, in which case the line will go through a training period again, although I'd think that the new providers network and a swap from max premium which has a higher priority on BT's network to standard adsl max would be more likely to affect his speed.

mrzoot

Top Member
i was before christmas but fast4 spooted it and changed me over :hrmph:

ping has all gone naff now all i can say is ffs

mrzoot

Top Member
it does look like my profile has changed

bt speed test says

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5162 kbps

my router says

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 10 21 dB
Line Attenuation 19 10 dB
Data Rate 6720 448 kbps

it used to say

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 13 12 dB
Line Attenuation 19 9 dB
Data Rate 8128 832 kbps
(though that was when i was on the premium connection but i dont think it effects my down speed)

mrzoot

Top Member
ah.. can fast4 have the interleaving turned off, i was going to ask them once my connection was stable for a few months but that never seemed to happen - maybe now it will

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £16.80 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2587)
  2. FTTP (2362)
  3. FTTC (1700)
  4. Building Digital UK (1645)
  5. Politics (1490)
  6. Openreach (1468)
  7. Business (1288)
  8. FTTH (1168)
  9. Statistics (1130)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1087)
  11. Fibre Optic (994)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (949)
  13. Wireless Internet (946)
  14. 4G (942)
  15. Virgin Media (892)
  16. EE (617)
  17. Sky Broadband (616)
  18. TalkTalk (596)
  19. Vodafone (557)
  20. 3G (424)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules