Sponsored Links

New VoIP services over FTTP-only lines

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
I've recently been curious about how this works and if anyone has any experience of it.

Providers are seemingly moving in the direction of supplying FTTP Internet and having the router handle some kind of VoIP connection inside the router and pushing it out in the format of standard phone signals any dumb phone can understand.

I believe the typical setup is the Fibre Cable --> an ONT --> provider router --> phone port to dumb phone.

My question is how it works when a consumer wants to use their own router?
Obviously they can just use their PPPoE username and password but how does it work with the telephone services?

Are providers giving out the VLAN IDs and other information necessary for the phone service to work or is it a case of if you use your own router they refuse to provide service on the phone.
When abroad I see how some other providers do it - their own router has 3 VLAN IDs - one for each of the internet, IPTV and the phone. Whilst not recommended you can configure it so that you can still access the services with your own router.

It's still quite new and I guess not many people have it. I've just not seen much mention of this issue that's being introduced.

I can see this being a bit of an issue for some ISPs, but it will vary between providers and platforms. I've only got limited practical experience of this side myself (ISP supplied VoIP style phone services), although I've already seen some issues with ISPs like Sky that use DHCP Option 61 on their routers to handle authentication (even on FTTP) - limiting the customers choice of kit.

Personally, I may be inclined to just buy a third-party VoIP service and use a separate Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) for connecting my handsets to the network, but the costs for doing this may be more than using the provider's bundled phone solution.

At present there are only a few ISPs with live VoIP services integrated through their routers (BT, Sky etc.), so some feedback from customers with those products would be welcome. But right now we're in the early transition phase, so it remains to be seen how things will change as more ISPs grow into the VoIP space.

Speaking as a consumer, I consider anything that artificially tries to reduce my personal choice of home network kit to be a bad thing.

Hi, I have FTTP via Zen and use their Fritzbox 7530 with integrated DECT/VOIP base station (I did not want an adapter)
I ported my landline number over to Voipfone and now works perfectly.
I don't think there are many routers with integrated DECT base station but hopefully this will change.
N.b there was a time when the 7530 would not play nicely with Voipfone but this is now resolved.

Sponsored Links
With the Fritzbox you are entering your own Voip settings as you would into an ATA. However the issue is, what happens when the router has the ISP Voip settings hidden so you cannot read them, so then how do you re-enter them into your own Fritzbox or an ATA.

@kommando828 exactly what I mean.

I know with 4G/5G VoLTE/5G calling the device is making an IPsec VPN connection to the provider and then running some kind of SIP or other VoIP protocol over that.

With the new FTTP products I’m assuming it’s an alternative VLAN ID like what BT and others do with IPTV but I’m not even sure what the protocol of the VoIP will be.

If it’s bog standard VoIP over a separate VLAN that would be easily achievable on your own router + an adapter or IP-compatible phone but if it’s anything else it’s going to be a bit difficult.

The routers coming from the providers aren’t exactly the most powerful of things though so I can’t see it being a VPN connection it’s going over.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules