Sponsored Links

News Item posting.

Just wondering if multi usernames are allowed on this site (NOT the forum thats obviously not allowed but the main site). There seems to be at least one individual in the news comments that keeps changing the name which they are posting under........ Is this allowed?

Also what are the rules relating to commenting on news items. Are we supposed to only comment with our opinions on the news item itself or are we allowed to just hound other people with persistent questioning of their comments.

Some seem to enjoy hounding other users by commenting on their opinion of a news item rather than commenting on the news item itself.

Also what are the rules here with regards to employees of ISPs commenting on news items relating to a company they either currently work for, have previously worked, have shares or similar close ties to. Is this allowed or should they identify thereself as an employee as what happens on the forum.

In fact is there a link anywhere to rules regarding posting in the news items? Ive previously reported instances of abuse (name calling etc) which has not been removed yet i see other name calling etc comments in news items which do get removed.

Can we have some clarification about what is allowed please?

New comments are anonymous but the broad set of good behaviour rules, which are linked in the footer of every page, still applies; with the exception of clearly 'forum member' specific ones (e.g. ISP rep status).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/rules.shtml

The problem here, assuming you're the one whom posts as 'Deduction' in any comments, is that almost all of what you're complaining about above have been committed by yourself more than almost any other single comment poster. I see far too much personal abuse, general trolling and usually completely inaccurate accusations about multiple ID's in your comments. Sadly you don't seem to recognise this as a bigger problem within yourself far more than others.

Like most open news sites, article comments are anonymous, thus I adopt a largely hands-off approach, consider them separate from most things and generally tend to leave them alone unless I get a very specifically linked complaint in email. But often the situations you complain about were fired up by yourself. Sometimes you get a raw deal but we've had a huge amount of complaints about your news comments and those are from a lot of different people, not just one or two like you might think but a lot.

Try to remember that ISPr is a free site; I don't have the resources to spend hours checking through tens of thousands of comments from thousands of news items just to see who is in the right and who is in the wrong. It's not possible. I won't catch every nasty comment. At the end of the day all I can ask is that you try to show a little more responsibility, such as knowing when to step back from a disagreement. It's the concept of agreeing to disagree that stops most of us from strangling one another :) .

I think you have some valuable things to contribute but there's no need to disagree with everything that other posters might say or throw accusations around. Not all debate has to be formed through hostile disagreement.

Mark, could I raise another point here about "Pro Members" ? I read in the forum rules that those representing ISP's or related companies must report to you and be identified on the forum and indeed ISP reps are clearly identified as such, however there are other Pro Members and the OP here is one that have nothing to identify who or what they are, why are they a Pro member, who do they represent?

Sponsored Links
Oh those are just Post Ranks like you get with every forum software :) . The more posts you make the higher your rank and this can sometimes also be used to grant a higher level of access too, although not on ISPr (yet). They're just for fun and not related to anything specific. Sorry for any confusion.

So to clarify

1) Are multiple usernames allowed in the news items? (and it is the same person, if you check the IP addresses via a network lookup tool it will become clear what they are doing)

2) What are the rules regarding present and past ISP employees commenting in news?

3) Are we supposed to only comment with our opinions on the news item itself or are we allowed to just hound other people with persistent questioning of their comments?

The person concerned this month has made only 2 comments in 2 items relating directly to the news item the rest have been hounding MORE THAN A SINGLE INDIVIDUAL with questioning and comments. Is it acceptable to just pester people with comments aimed personally or not?

Try to remember that ISPr is a free site; I don't have the resources to spend hours checking through tens of thousands of comments from thousands of news items just to see who is in the right and who is in the wrong.

On the contrary it seems recently you have been very busy removing comments which were nothing more than petty name calling....... Unfortunately when i reported a serial abuser of this type to you a month ago, nothing was done. The comments are still on the site.

I can quote the entire PMs i sent to you with regards to similar comments and show nothing was done.

We either have rules or we don't. You seem to very quickly remove name calling from some individuals but totally ignore it from others.

It's not possible. I won't catch every nasty comment. At the end of the day all I can ask is that you try to show a little more responsibility, such as knowing when to step back from a disagreement. It's the concept of agreeing to disagree that stops most of us from strangling one another :) .

Perhaps people should comment only on the news item and not what other people have to say about the item concerned?

Disagreeing is fine, pestering people isnt.

I think you have some valuable things to contribute but there's no need to disagree with everything that other posters might say or throw accusations around. Not all debate has to be formed through hostile disagreement.

Perhaps the person i refer to you should take a look at again then because 99% of the news items they post in are nothing more than disagreeing with a person. Half the time they do not even comment on the story.

Ill list all the news items this month if you wish where their opening remark has been to question someones opinion on a news item and when the person answers their questioning they continue to pester them. ITS MORE THAN ONE individual they are doing this to in nearly ever item. Im happy to prove this right here on the forum.

Im also more than willing to back up this claim by notifying you everytime they post a new comment that is nothing more than questioning of someones opinion in which to incite an argument, (AKA trolling, flame war etc). At the rate they do that you will have probably 6 complaints a day.

PLEASE confirm are the news item comments for commenting on the news item or randomly pestering and questioning people. Im sick of reading their diatribe.

Of my 100 posts on this forum none have been confrontational, although i can understand why you may think this thread may be. Several have been very helpful, i can point to more than a single thread where a user has thanked me and i have solved an issue they had.

The only other thread ive participated in which in anyway shape or form on this forum which could be considered confrontational is a Plusnet thread, and even in that i make it clear to the Plusnet staffer i respect them being here and answering people.

I simply wish to know what the rules are now with regards to making comments on news items.

I have had posts removed from news items, for much less than what i have previously reported to MarkJ. I now am simply asking why.

I am also curious if news comments are supposed to be to comment on the item concerned or persistently pester individuals and am simply asking if posting using multiple nicks is allowed. People that do that and people that lie about organisations to protect the one they have close ties to is what i consider the "diatribe" to be.

This opening post was not meant as confrontational.

I sincerely apologise to MarkJ and anyone reading if they find asking what the rules are and why other violations of them are not dealt with as confrontational.

I did not realise asking for clarification of rules would provoke such a reaction.

Quite simply tff, I'm a fairly patient person but you do have a unique ability to test that in all people. I'm sure you'd make an excellent opposition politician or military interrogator :) . I've actually answered your questions too but you don't seem to notice or are not accepting that and again micro analysing everything that gets said to the point of it becoming an irritation; that is why some people have become annoyed.

As a result constrictive points end up getting lost in a sea of poop. You're on a free site here, not a government agency or among people that work specifically for you. I'm not even sure why it's worth writing another reply as I suspect that you can't see the problem. If that's the case then the only thing I can suggest is that you take a step back from here as I don't believe we could ever meet your standards.

Sponsored Links
^^^ Or we can discuss how you have been a member for a year, made 6 posts, of which your 6th is that antagonising post which has sat there all day once again not moderated.

I also notice once again on a news item when i make a query about BDUK regions and funding the question has been removed (there was no abuse at any individual) yet follow up comments in the same article are left to freely discuss the BDUK.

Its becoming hard to actually post when its not clear what is allowed.

Antagonising such as the above post in this forum seems fine. Asking that dis-information be removed from news items though is seen as confrontational.

Can we just post any old random make it up as we go along tripe in the news items? Its a simple question, its not meant as rude, i just want to know what is allowed, that is all.

^^^ Or we can discuss how you have been a member for a year, made 6 posts, of which your 6th is that antagonising post which has sat there all day once again not moderated.

I also notice once again on a news item when i make a query about BDUK regions and funding the question has been removed (there was no abuse at any individual) yet follow up comments in the same article are left to freely discuss the BDUK.

Its becoming hard to actually post when its not clear what is allowed.
It's a free site tff and some of us do have real-lives to lead and other work to be doing. You keep trying to pull me into these petty squabbles, which wouldn't even exist if you could just soften the 'axe to grind' style attitude that seems to surface at almost every turn.

Most people generally understand where to draw the line for themselves and without me needing to write up a detailed book of rules. The fact you can't realise this is something I can't help you with but don't say I haven't repeatedly and politely tried to.

With that said. I don't think this community can realistically meet your expectations and I'd agree that if you can't understand where to draw the line for yourself then no, you probably should not be posting. So that's kind of a last warning from me, I won't be engaging you like this again, it's wasting too much important time.

I really don't want to have to ban you from here too as some of your input has been productive but if the snide/snipes, sometimes offensive, remarks against myself, others, the site etc. continue then you won't be leaving me with much choice. So please, one last time, just try to rein yourself in a bit and please lose the attitude. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have no axe to grind i was just asking for clarification on what is allowed in news items. I am sorry if it comes across as anything more than that. It is in no way meant to, i mean that sincerely.

I do find it hard to understand why i may be banned from the forum when i have not verbally insulted anyone, have not used used foul language towards anyone or in general broken any rules on this forum.

None of this is supposed to come across as me with a bad attitude, i can only re-apologise if that is the case. It is not meant as snide either.

It is your site, but you have people that have contributed all of 6 posts in a year and another which signs up and their first post is actual verbal abuse (which has not been banned from as far as i can tell), then and i mean this in a polite, non-snide and total observational and totally sincere manner, perhaps there are others that should be shown the door first, rather than someone who has advised and helped on this forum in numerous threads.

I do not have what i would call high expectations and realise you are a busy individual, i can only hope you reconsider and do not ban me.

I have no axe to grind i was just asking for clarification on what is allowed in news items. I am sorry if it comes across as anything more than that. It is in no way meant to, i mean that sincerely.

I do find it hard to understand why i may be banned from the forum when i have not verbally insulted anyone, have not used used foul language towards anyone or in general broken any rules on this forum.

None of this is supposed to come across as me with a bad attitude, i can only re-apologise if that is the case. It is not meant as snide either.

It is your site, but you have people that have contributed all of 6 posts in a year and another which signs up and their first post is actual verbal abuse (which has not been banned from as far as i can tell), then and i mean this in a polite, non-snide and total observational and totally sincere manner, perhaps there are others that should be shown the door first, rather than someone who has advised and helped on this forum in numerous threads.

I do not have what i would call high expectations and realise you are a busy individual, i can only hope you reconsider and do not ban me.

Sorry but your posts to tend to be of a negative nature, I had fun especially reading your comments on the recent Plusnet post. At least some here try to look at the overall picture and whilst Plusnet were not the provider for me my experience when dealing with tech support has been a good one and I shared that.

Maybe you have some sort of high expectations where the world should all be nice and fluffy? BT as frustrating as they are for instance can also provide a good experience, you just seem hell bent on knocking anyone and everything down. You may think you are being helpful, unfortunately this is not the case.

Try to loosen up a bit otherwise you will just alienate everyone else and you won't be given any time of the day on here.

By all means you could just ignore everything I've just said, your choice :p

I have no negative feelings towards Plusnet. The person in that thread wanted advice, i gave an opinion that he more than likely has a line issue.

Plusnet like any ISP may be great or poor for an individual, in your case i am sure they are/were superb and deserve all the praise in the world.

In the case of the thread you refer to and the poster concerned though they have IMO acted poorly as that users issues have been going on for 18 months. Its not a dig at Plusnet, i would deem any ISP where a user has had issues for 18 months and nothing as far as we all know has been done before to be poor.

I actually complimented bob (bpullen the Plusnet staff member) several times for the positive action he has taken. I do not see how i can be more fair than that. I also admire the time he has taken to talk to myself and everyone in that thread.

Ive advised the poster concerned on how to get ready for a BT visit and what the engineer is likely to do. This is good advice also is it not?

I do not have high expectations and i do not see anywhere in any of my forum posts where i have been "hell bent" on knocking any individual.

This thread was nothing more than a query about rules on other areas of the site, nothing more, there was no malice, intended in it.

I am not ignoring what you are saying id actually appreciate that if ive done anything else which could be deemed as wrong in any other forum thread id actually like you to direct me to it.

I will then immediately apologise to any individual/s that i need to, in which to make amends for anything i may have said which is out of line or against the rules. I am not here to create trouble and any ill feelings in any other thread i would like to put right.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules